Sunday, June 4, 2017

Alex En Route To The 2017 ARML Nationals


Song:  Ordinary World

Group:  Duran Duran



Right now...
I am typing this article on my wife's laptop from a hotel room in Pasadena, CA.

We will be taking a tour of Caltech...tomorrow afternoon.

We left Reno at about 10:30 AM...
en route to Las Vegas for the 2017 ARML Nationals.

We wanted to arrive a day early so Alex could get a solid night's sleep 
before the competition.

We stayed in a hotel not too far from UNLV...
where the Nationals would be held.


Just a couple hours out of Reno...
at Lake Walker...
I had Alex take over the driving until we were just shy of Las Vegas...
where I once again took over the driving.







We stopped in a town which is about halfway...
to gas up...
and get some food.


My wife says I look like this bear when I get angry.


We had a quick meal...
and we were off down the road.




We stayed at The Courtyard Marriott for the first three nights.

I must say...
I was so impressed by the staff there.

Everyone was highly trained and professional.

I hadn't experienced such friendly and professional staff since staying in Japan.

We were also situated directly across from the monorail system...
which runs the length of the Las Vegas strip.

We would go on the monorail on our last night there.


Our room was quiet and very comfortable.


That night...
we went to a Japanese restaurant for AYCE sushi.















Back at the hotel...
they have a cafe...
and a 24 hour convenience shop.



Alex and I got an ice cream bar to enjoy back at the room.


Alex then enjoyed his iPad until he fell asleep.

We then slept in until the early afternoon...
as we didn't have to meet the team at UNLV until after 3 PM.

The first day of the math competition didn't start until 6 PM...
and lasted until 8 PM.

The first day consisted of the Team...
and Power rounds.

On the next day...
the competition went from 9 AM until 12 PM.

On this day...
they had the Individual Round...
and then the Team Relay Round.


Alex had really done very well on the all important Individual Round.
I will go more into this...in two articles.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...