Friday, May 19, 2017

Alex's Japanese Final / Poke King


Song:  Cello Ascends

Artists:  The Piano Guys



Alex took his final in Japanese today.

He thinks he did well...
and he is quite sure he got an 'A' in the course.

So...
we decided to celebrate by going to a new restaurant in town.



My wife had read reviews for a small nearby restaurant named 'Poke King'.

We decided to go there...
and was I glad we did.

I loved the food!

It is a very simple restaurant with fresh ingredients.

Poke is a name given in Hawaii for a raw (or cooked) seafood salad or ingredients over rice.


 I had boiled and marinated octopus, shrimp, and tofu...
with some shredded crab and diced green onions over rice...
and with Truffle flavored Ponzu.

It was fantastic...
with but an easily fixable flaw
(more on this later).


Alex just had ice cream...
as he was not hungry.

I am going to take my mother here tonight...
and I will then start marinading some pork loin 
for a special dish I will cook for her in five days.


Anyway...
after eating our meals...
I went up to the counter and asked to speak with the manager.

The co-owner came out and I could tell he was from Hawaii...
or had at least spent time there.

He was young and I could tell this was his dream.

As I really liked the place...
and I want him to really become successful...
I offered him some advice.

I first told him my background.

I said that I had lived in Hawaii for four years...
and I had lived in Japan for four years...
and that my mother was from Japan...
as well as my wife.

So...
I told him that I knew rice.

I said that I loved everything...
except that the rice was a little hard.

I then went on to tell him what they have been doing wrong...
and how they could correct it.

I knew that they were used to cooking at or near sea level...
as where most of the population live in Hawaii.

I said that his shop was almost a mile up...
that he needed to get pressure compensating rice cookers...
or that they would need to soak the rice longer...
and to add more water.

He took my advice well...
and said that they were working on consistency with their workers.

I then told him I love the concept...
and that I loved their food...
and that I would be back.

I fully intend on becoming a regular there.

The food is so healthful...
and delicious.

It was filling...
and the taste was so fresh.

I love this place.


------------------------------


Alex has but two more finals to take next week...
and then he will be finished with hell year.

Although he will be studying all summer long...
as well as getting a part time job at a mathematics school...
most of the pressure is off.

He will, however...
still have an upcoming advanced Physics specialized test...
and he will be working on all of his university application essays...
so...
some pressure is still on...I guess.

In the fall...
Alex will be taking Differential Geometry at UNR...
and he will also be taking third year Japanese at UNR...
along with his other high school courses he will be completing online.

---------

Last night...
my wife called her mother in Japan...
and had Alex talk with her in Japanese.

My wife said that her mother started crying when Alex conversed with her 
in Japanese.

-----------


We will be going to Las Vegas in less than two weeks...
for the ARML Nationals.

Afterwards...
we will be driving to Southern California to take three 
University tours.

One at Caltech...
one at UCLA...
and one at Harvey Mudd College.

Later in the summer...
we will be touring Stanford University...
and also UC Berkeley.


Although this means nothing to the universities if you take the tours...
and it in no way helps in the application process...
it will definitely hurt the applicant if he lives nearby...
and does not take a tour.

So...
in preparation for Alex's university applications this Fall...
off we will go!  :)





















4 comments:

  1. Those Hawaiian dishes look so good! A Hawaiian quick service restaurant recently opened in a food court downtown but they are always too crowded so I have not tried it yet. I wonder if Hawaiian restaurants are becoming more popular. If I cannot get into the restaurant here, we will be going to Hawaii later this summer so we can try Hawaiian food then.

    Looks like you will have a busy summer. I'll be interested to hear what Alex thinks of each college you all visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are you are going to have such a great time there. Are you going to multiple islands? Don't forget to try some of the roadside food also. There are some famous ones on the North Shore of Oahu.

    We leave next week for eight days. We are going to take our time in California at each university, one a day. Then we are going to try some delicious restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will go to Oahu and Maui. I was thinking of going to Kauai as well but decided to spend more time on each island than trying to see more at this time.

      That will be a nice trip to California. I'll be looking forward to photos of all the great meals you'll be eating! :)

      Delete
  3. Good plan. I will be very much looking forwards to your photos. It has been so long since I have been back to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...