Thursday, January 12, 2017

Alex's First Snow Drive



Song:  Lazy Calm

Artist:  Cocteau Twins (single artist)


I had been waiting for a day such as this for Alex to experience
his first day of driving in the snow.

On this day...
although there was snow on the ground...
the roads were not completely iced over.

I wanted Alex to experience the difference between a moderate loss of traction...
to that of having very little traction...such as that on heavily iced over roads.


This is a picture from our driveway.


Alex did very well in all of his driving on this day.

Alex is naturally very cautious...
and this is what makes him an inherently good driver.

I have been coaching Alex on wide gentle turns...
and on the light and smooth application of the accelerator and the brakes...
as well as the necessity of braking much earlier than when on dry roads.

Alex had performed flawlessly during all of his snow driving lesson.


For this day's lesson...
it just involved driving in our, and his grandmother's, neighborhood.

We are leaving our neighborhood and driving to his grandmother's neighborhood
in this picture.


As his grandmother lives but a few minutes away from our home...
we are about halfway in this picture.


This is my mother's neighborhood.


As Alex was practicing his snow driving skills...
he hadn't stopped at my mother's.

We merely turned around and drove back home.


I had Alex drive through the snow instead of the already cleared areas
to gain experience in the handling of the car in snow.


This is the only way to clear snow...
forget the shovels.

Work smarter...not harder  :)


On our way home.


Again...
Alex had done exceptionally well in his driving.

Not once did he make a mistake.

I hope to have him practice on icy neighborhood roads soon.




After Alex arrived at home...
I decided to go to a local sandwich shop (Alex wasn't hungry).

This is a picture of the mountains just above our home.

By the time I had gotten a sandwich...
the clouds had cleared...
and the sun had started to shine.

After getting home...
I stayed awake for a few more hours...
and I then went to sleep (I still sleep during the day).

I had then awakened after 1 AM and went to cook supper for my mother
(She also stays awake all night).

In an article on one of my other blogs...
I describe our subsequent meal...
and how much Hana (her dog)...
loves this particular meal.



2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful snowy day! Very important to get Alex comfortable in driving in these conditions, especially as you live in the mountains where you will experience much of this weather. Great that Alex did so well. Hope his mother is less tense when he is driving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, his mother trusts his driving much more now since she had been a passenger with him driving in difficult diving circumstances. Alex has gained much confidence in his skills also. He is such a careful and attentive driver. Much of my earlier fears about him starting to drive have proved to be false, as he is very cautious. Still, I worry about the other guy on the road. I emphasize driving defensively at all times...as well as always being situationally aware.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...