Thursday, August 25, 2016

Alex's Yoke Walk - 200 Pounds


Drum Duel

Group:  Godsmack





Today...
Alex added weight to the yoke for our 1/4 mile yoke walk.

We are now up to 200 pounds total carrying weight.

This is the first time that we carried more weight than either of us weigh.

We would have reached this amount a long time ago...
however, I was the weak link.

I first had strained tendons in my feet...
 so, we had to stop for a couple of months.

Then, after resuming...
I ended up with a strained lower back...
so, we had to stop for several weeks.

Then, after resuming once again...
I had pulled a hamstring...
so, we had to stop for several more weeks.


I am the canary in the mines.

I know I will not recover nearly so quickly as my son, Alex.

So, I will get injured before Alex...
and this will force us to recover more...
and to start again in smaller steps.

In this manner...
Alex should never get injured...
since I should be the first one to be injured
because, as a 56 year old...
I am more vulnerable to injury.

This will keep Alex safe.

I am the fuse in the circuit...
by design.

I will be the first to blow  :)




We had the weight at 180 pounds for a while.

Today was our day to take the weight up to 200 pounds.

Only now will we start to really strengthen ourselves.

In this exercise...
only when you begin to carry more than your own weight for 1/4 mile...
will you begin to really toughen your body.


Alex moving the yoke out of the small side of the garage to begin our walk.


Alex resting a while before resuming.


Alex resting once again.


Alex busy carrying the yoke as he starts up hill with it.


After another short rest...
Alex begins the pick up of the yoke just before walking with it once again.



Alex pushed himself extra hard at the end.


Alex had felt this walk more than his others.


He squatted down for a while to catch his breath, and to ensure he wasn't dizzy.


When Alex felt rested enough...
he went inside and took his shower.

Then...
it was my turn at the yoke.


200 pounds is not so heavy...
however, once you start walking with it...
it tires you out rather quickly.

I was surprised...
I had to rest longer than usual at my rest stops.

I was actually out of breath for a while at each rest stop
(I had to rest a total of four times).

--------

Before the first snows...
we will be carrying 220 pounds (100 Kilos).

This is our next goal.


We are also going to add in the Farmer's Walk once again.

We had to put it on hold for a while also, because of my injuries.








2 comments:

  1. Alex is getting very strong. I'm wondering, though, if maybe you shouldn't try to keep up with Alex. It seems inevitable that he will continue to get stronger while your injuries may indicate that you have already peaked. Just hate to see you hurt yourself too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but in my forcing us to move more slowly in our progress, this will protect Alex from injury. By the time he goes off to university...I will have to slow it down some more. In the meantime...I still have room to grow...just much more slowly than he :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...