Sunday, March 13, 2016

Alex At The 2016 UC Berkeley Math Tournament


Song:  Imagination

Cristian Onofreiciuc


We had started out our day at 2:30 AM in Reno.

Alex had something to eat...
and we departed at 3:00 AM.

We drove over the Sierra Nevada mountain range with no problems.


We crossed over a section of the SF Bay Area Delta at sunrise...
less than 30 minutes from UC Berkeley.


We were just minutes from UC Berkeley...
so we stopped in at Nations for breakfast.

Alex had a Salmon Burger.


I parked in a raised UC parking structure near the competition site.




The Math building where the competition took place.


We had arrived early...
and walked around a little...
and then sat down as we awaited the rest of the team.

(Coral Academy of Science's Math Team Coach...Mr. Guncu)

This year...
since there was only one other member from NNV Math club there...
Alex was part of Coral Academy High School's team...
The Falcons.


The teams headed to the competition rooms.


Afterwards...
my wife and I walked around a bit.

 Afterwards...
we went to a neighborhood 
Japanese market and picked up some food.


We then sat in the car.

My wife slept...
and then watched movies on her phone.

I set up my phone and watched movies while we waited.

I had my phone plugged into my auxiliary power supply...
and a set of headphones.


It had started to rain a lot.

At 6 PM...
I walked over to pick up Alex from the competition site.

We then had to walk across campus to the awards ceremony.


There were 430 competitors at this year's Berkeley Math Tournament.







These were the various individual winners (from left to right - 3rd to first)
for the various math categories.


The top three schools for the power round
(left to right...third to first).


These were the top 8 overall school winners.

Alex's team had not placed...
but Alex had improved his individual score.

Alex had a great learning experience.


--------


Alex had recently placed among the top individual scores in the Nation
in another math competition (Proctored online competition - MathCon).

Although he had received an invitation to compete in the MathCon Nationals in Chicago...
he won't be able to go since it is on the same day as is the ARML regional competition
to qualify for the ARML Nationals later this year in Las Vegas.


--------


Shortly after arriving at UC Berkeley...
I saw a severe Winter Storm Warning for the Sierra Nevadas.

We had crossed before the storm had hit...
and the storm was expected to last several days.

After learning of this...
we had made plans to stay overnight just West of the Sierra Nevadas...
and then attempt to cross during the daytime...
since there was threat of high winds, whiteouts, and ice.

I had decided to fuel up just shy of the mountain pass on the way home...
and to then re-assess the situation with updated information.

After arriving near the mountains...
I re-fueled and checked for the latest weather.

It turned out that there was a temporary lull in the storm.

The temperatures had actually temporarily risen above freezing...
the rains and snows had eased for the several hours it would take us
to cross over the mountains...
 it looked like the conditions would be worse on the following day...
and so...
we drove on.

Near the summit...
there were strings of trucks and vehicles stopping to have 
snow chains installed.

Not us.

I have full time 4 wheel drive with push button locking differentials
and tires rated for snow...
and so...
we drove on.

Just over the summit...
even though wind gusts were then at around 40 MPH...
snow was blowing sideways into the windshield almost mesmerizing me...
making the whole experience almost surreal...
and at times...almost whiting out my vision...
I used the side illuminating snow lamps on the car so I was able
to see the sides of the road...
and so...
we drove on.

Although my driving speed was drastically reduced...
and I was using my locking mountain gears to control my speed downhill...
I was still driving past vehicles which had to drive at very slow speeds 
because of the snow chains on their vehicles.


And so...
with nary a slip nor a slide...
we had made it home...
to ease into our beds...
our heads on our pillows...
our minds clear of worry over a snowy crossing on the morrow...
and so...
we slept on.   









2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home safely. I really do not like driving in that kind of blowing snow where you can barely see anything. Looks like you had the right vehicle for those conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was slow going, but my car makes it easy to handle such conditions. I also make sure I have good tires before Winter.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...