Sunday, January 3, 2016

Alex's Winter Math Camp Lecture Notes - I


Song: Insight

Artist (Bass Flutist):  Lisa Hedley



 Starting tomorrow...
Alex will be helping out at the week long NNV Winter Math Camp
for elementary and middle school students (40 hours in total).

This math camp is for children who are interested in learning competition math.

Alex is a lecturer at the camp...
and he will be helping to tutor the students...
as well as helping to run the math camp competition.

In preparation for his lectures...
Alex had written out three papers which shall be his guide during his lectures.


This is the first of his lecture papers.


Alex is a very good teacher.

These notes are perfect for a young budding math competitor.

Alex had cited all of the authors of the theorems he is using...
and he made up all of the problems he is using to illustrate those particular theorems.





















Today...
after I had picked up Alex after his math club meeting...
I decided to stop by this particular hot dog / sandwich stand
in old downtown Reno.

I had ordered a Chicago Dog and an Italian Beef Sandwich (wet).




I talked a little with the owner here as he prepared my food.

He is a Chicago native...
and he knows how to make excellent food!


Although it was 32 degrees F (0 C) in Reno...
both, Alex, and I, are cold hardy...
plus there was no wind to speak of...
plus...
it is always colder where we live in the mountains.

Alex didn't want anything to eat...
so I just ordered for myself...
and I took back half the sandwich for my wife.



This was the BEST Chicago Dog I have ever eaten.

Man...
every bite was so full of flavor.


This was also the best Italian Beef sandwich I have ever had.

He dipped the whole sandwich in meat juice...
it was perfect!


I love finding the food serving hidden gems where ever I go.

I shall be stopping in frequently whenever I drop off Alex at his Sunday math club.



Tomorrow...
I will post some pictures of the math camp...
and I will be including Alex's lecture print out on:


'A Brief Introduction to the Factorial Function 

and its Extension to Combinatorics.'












2 comments:

  1. Alex's math skills are, of course, very impressive, but that he can write a good lecture to be able to teach math to others requires a different set of skills and so it is equally impressive.

    Looks like you found a place in Reno that makes authentic Chicago hot dogs and Italian Beef sandwiches. The Vienna Beef sign is one tip off that the man knows how to make a Chicago dog. From your photos, both the hot dog and beef sandwich look just like the ones we can get here at many fine Chicago hot dog stands but I'm sure it was a surprise to find one over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will be stopping in at this food stand often. I am so glad I had found this. I couldn't find a decent hot dog place anywhere until I found this. His sandwiches are also great. I will be trying some of his other sandwiches and hot dogs also.

    Alex has always loved teaching. Even when he was very young, most of his writing was instructional.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...