Sunday, December 6, 2015

Alex At His Second Math League Competition - UNR


Song:  Rock Meets Rachmaninoff

Artists:  The Piano Guys


The NNV Math Club is putting on a series of Math and Engineering Competitions
throughout the year...and into the next.

Although Alex had already qualified for the State Math League competition...
he wants to compete in every competition to help him improve
(Solutions are provided to the competitors after the competition
so they may see where they had gone astray in their incorrect answers).


Alex had missed the second competition as we were at the Caltech math competition
(by the way...Alex had placed highest on his math team...as an individual...
and most importantly...he had improved in his overall score).

This Math League competition was the third one in a series of six.

As I was not feeling well
(I have a cold.  I know...somebody call a waaambulance  :)...
I dropped him off at the Math and Science building 
at the University of Nevada Reno...
and I went back near the end to take pictures of the awards ceremony.

There were three categories of participants:

Elementary School

Middle School 

High School (Alex's Category)

The NNV Math Club's founder has done a remarkable job 
bringing in competitors from the elementary schools.

They were the largest category.

It is so important to start out elementary school students in math competitions.

This will really help them throughout their school years...
and in life.



This young lady had gotten the Bronze Medal (Third Place) in the High School Category.


This young man had gotten the Silver Medal (Second Place) in the High School category.


Alex had gotten the Gold Medal (First Place) in the High School category.


This is the shirt and medal that Alex had gotten from this competition.

After relaxing at home for a little while after the competition...
Alex and I went out to our favorite Indian restaurant.

We have been going there for years...
and for the first time...
I had a problem with the food.

I had ordered a plate of Naan for Alex...
and an order of Vegetable Samosas for me...
as appetizers.

As soon as the waiter put the vegetable samosas on the table...
I knew something was wrong.

The outside shells were not only misshapen...
but they were off in color.

Even before I touched one...
I knew what was wrong...
and as soon as I placed my fingers on it and opened it up...
Aha! ...I knew it!  This clown of a cook had microwaved them!

The inside of the dough was dark and the outside was pale, moist, and soggy.

It was the opposite of when it is properly, and momentarily, deep fried.
The outer shell is crisp and firm...and the inside is light and fluffy.

I always get vegetable samosas as my appetizer whenever I eat Indian food.

It just sets the tone for the whole meal.
I put a mixture of mint and sweet chutneys on every delicious bite.

The potatoes inside are light and fluffy...
the spices are also light...but very flavorful...
and the two chutneys give it just enough heat in combination with just enough sweet.

Along with a glass of sweet lassi and a cup of masala chai...
I was expecting to thoroughly enjoy a highly flavorful beginning to a great meal.

I took the plate of samosas up to the waiter (who was standing at the bar)...
and I said that the cook had microwaved either left over samosas...or frozen ones.

The waiter apologized...
and said he would get some more.

I sat down...
feeling assured that the cook would give me correctly made samosas.

Just a very short while later...
a waiter brought me more samosas.

My immediate thought was that there was no way the cook 
could have prepared more in such a short time.

I looked down at the plate...
sure enough...
he did it again!

In my mind...
I was saying...
Okay...I'M DISAPPOINTED!

I tore open a samosa and I waved over the same waiter.

I pointed to the samosa and explained that the inside was dark...
and the outside was pale and soggy because it had been microwaved.

I further explained that the vegetables on the inside heat up and create steam...
which then goes through the pastry and condenses on the outside...
and that is why the outside was pale and soggy!

The opposite would have happened in a deep fryer.
The outside would have darkened and crisped
 and the inside would have been light and fluffy.

I then said extra loudly to the waiter that if the cook told him that he had 
cooked them properly, then he (the cook) was lying!

The waiter then said he would ensure the next batch would be cooked correctly.

I accepted his word...
and I waited for what was about the correct amount of time...
and the waiter then brought out correctly made samosas...
finally.

The waiter said that he had watched the cook deep fry them to ensure
he had not microwaved them.

Now...
I understand when food is sometimes not cooked quite to my satisfaction.

What I do not understand is when a cook merely warms up something
which should have been prepared properly.

He did so only because he was lazy...twice!

I am a civilized man...and I always try to act like a gentleman.
However, it was only the laws of our civilized society which had prevented me 
from turning those soggy samosas into a couple of fast balls directly into the kitchen  :)

A short while later...
I received a soup which had turned my frown upside down  :)

It was my first time to try a creamed tomato and coconut soup.

It was such a delicious and flavorful soup...
that I was all smiles for the rest of the meal.

All was good in my world once again :)


Alex had his favorite dish...Salmon Tikka.


I had a combo meal...
with Chicken Masala as the main entree.


We then finished off our meal with our favorite ice cream...
Punjabi Kulfi.


---------------


We just got word a few days ago from the local Veterans of Foreign Wars 
(They sponsor a National essay contest.
 Patriot's Pen for middle school...
and Voice Of Democracy for high school students).


Alex had, once again, taken first place in the local category.

A member of the local VFW said that we will find out how well Alex's essay had done
in the next tier of competition in about one to two months.

However, as Alex had again won the local...
he will, once again, be reading his essay at a dinner
for the local essay winners
(last time Alex had read his speech...
a Congressman was in attendance...
and Alex had received a standing ovation).

He will also receive a few hundred dollars in prize money just for his local win
(Alex has won a total of approximately $1,500 in prize money 
from all of his essay competition winnings so far).

The higher up he wins...
the more money he will get.

Alex has participated in the essay contests a total of three times.

His first time...
he had won first in the local contest...
first place in the district contest...
and second place in the State
(only one from each State goes to the Nationals. 
 Any high school competitor who reaches the Nationals...
had already beaten approximately 40,000 other participants Nation wide).


His second time out...
he had placed first in the local.


This time...
so far...
he has taken first in the local.

It may even be a couple of months before we find out how well his essay had done...
and how far up the 3 tiers of competition he had progressed.

The member of the VFW who had called us said 
they were so impressed with Alex's essay...
that they think he will at least be in the finals of the district level.


Yes...
I am having Alex read the daily news from Fox News
(Fair and balanced reporting.  Sorry...I just had to throw that one in  :)

I then have Alex pick out his favorite article for discussion.

We will then discuss that article...
and we will then discuss the various paths 
that the article will lead us in further discussion.

Alex is relatively new to learning about the various ways 
evil is expressed throughout the world...
but in time...
he will understand more and more about human nature...
by what people do or do not do...not by what they merely say

(Just by reading what politicians say is an exercise in logic.
The attempted false premises...the fallacious arguments...
the invalid stats used...
the flat out invalid arguments used...
the failure of the major media outlets in countering invalid arguments
 and the amount of deceit used...
and of how many people go along with it).

--------------

I received the reflective tape yesterday.

My next article will cover Alex's first 1/4 mile attempt with the Strongman Yoke.

We will be doing it tonight or tomorrow night...
weather permitting.








2 comments:

  1. Congrats to Alex on his excellence in the math competitions and on his essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Alex loves competitions. The most important thing is that Alex grows from the whole process.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...