Monday, November 2, 2015

Alex At His Grandmother's House Warming



Song:  Painting The Sun

Artist:  David Lanz

My mother had her house warming today.

As there was rain in the Sierra Nevada Mountains today...
my mother's friend thought it wise to not make the two hour drive across them 
to get to my mother's house.

So...
today it was just family and my mother's realtor.


Alex and my elder sister's husband (James)...
were watching TV from the sofa.


My elder sister and I were talking in the kitchen.


My mother's dinette set arrived just the day before the house warming.


I had ordered chair socks to prevent noise when the chairs are moved around...
and to protect the tile floor.



My mother had also bought extra tall chairs for the kitchen bar.


We had the table set up for dinner.


James and I ate at the bar and talked
while everyone else sat at the table.


My mother in front of her new TV.


My elder sister and her husband watched TV while I went to pick up the food.

These two chairs, and another one on the other end, fully recline
(my sister is sitting mostly on her husband's chair).


I had picked up a lot of fire grilled chicken and some sides...



and four lbs. of Texas Barbecue Ribs.


My mother's realtor had arrived, and we all sat down to eat.

We had discussed possible homes in Reno for my sister and her husband...
and other properties my mother may purchase here.

Alex stuffed himself on the ribs and chicken.


After dinner...
my elder sister relaxed in the guest bedroom with her Ipad.

Her husband had his photography set up on the bed.

Hana likes lying near people, where ever they are.


I am helping my mother set up her home office
(the command center :)

An Apple computer will soon go on the upper glass shelf.

A printer and scanner will occupy the corner section.

I will help my mother manage her near, and long term, finances from here.


It is hard to see...
but I had filled the center shelves with 20 black 2" binders.

I will use these to organize any paperwork and receipts.


My mother also bought a powered recliner for the meditation room/library.
It is super wide...and super comfortable.


She will either place a fish tank on the far wall with the recliner facing it...
or she will get a stained glass mural in front of the window...
and the recliner will face as is.

She will also have a music speaker and Ipod set up in here.


My mother's bed.

She will later place another large TV in here so she may enjoy it at night...
and just drift off to sleep...
with a timed shut off programed into the TV.

Hana sleeps in her own bed in a corner of the room (the gray bed).


After dinner...
we sat and watched
'The Walking Dead'...
and then the program which immediately follows...
'The Talking Dead'.

I love both shows  :)


---------------


My mother is enjoying a comfortable retirement
 because my father had thought ahead.

As he was 12 years older than her...
he knew he would die first...
and he had ensured she would always be comfortable for the rest of her life.


I always stress this very important way of thinking to Alex.

It is not nearly enough to merely fool yourself to be happy in the moment
by suppressing worry or doubt.

Worry and doubt serve a purpose.
They are like house smoke alarms.

Far too many people attempt to take the batteries out of the smoke alarms
for fear of having to be bothered by an alarm
(falsely telling themselves that worrying is wrong...
or even worse...suppressing them through pharmaceuticals) .

The smoke alarms (worry) sound when it detects smoke (a problem).
The correct action then becomes putting out the fires...
and preventing potentially hazardous situations from arising in the first place...
through proper planning.

When people find ways of silencing these alarms (doubt and worry)...
this is when so many get burned later in life.


People should not be fully happy unless they have prepared for their futures.

To needlessly worry is incorrect
(to not properly identify problems and their solutions).

However...
to foresee potential future problems...
to deeply think about solutions and the path to arrive at them successfully...
and then walking that path...
this is the correct way to plan ahead.

In this manner...
the dark clouds of doubt are erased from the horizon...
and true peace of mind may be had...
and so, where true happiness may be found...
in the moment.

That is when smooth sailing may be expected...
for the foreseeable future.


Although rogue waves may still sink any ship
(medical problems or other unforeseeable events)...
you will have done all you could have...
and so, you will have had no regrets.


Alex lives this way of thinking by studying many hours everyday...
and so, he is always keeping his dream alive.

Alex wants his life to be fully enjoyable...
as well as financially secure.



----------------



Alex is the Captain of his ship.

He had plotted his course and had provisioned his ship in accordance with his dreams...
he is steadily sailing with strong winds to his back...
and with a clear horizon ahead.

He steers clear of dangerous shoals and breakwaters...
(unnecessarily risky behavior)
and he does not dally in seedy ports of call
(hedonistic lifestyle).

He avoids anything which would delay his journey...
or could sink his ship.

We, as his parents...
shall always be his safe harbor in any storm.


Through this manner of living...
Alex shall experience many adventures...
all the while...
he will be capable of weathering any storm.













2 comments:

  1. Your mother's house is great, and with all of the comfortable furniture, it feels so inviting. I think I could lay on that sofa or recliner for hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very comfortable home. I visit her every night. We make dinner together, eat, and then watch a movie.

    She loves her new house. I will take her to meet some new friends sometime soon. She may now entertain them with pride.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...