Friday, October 9, 2015

New Thursday Routine For Alex And His Grandmother



Song:  Blue Bossa

Artist: 'Twainsblues'



I had Alex and his grandmother doing Clean and Jerks...
as well as pull ups on Thursdays.

I now have them on Bench Presses...
and Rows.

I had made the switch because we do not have the specialized equipment
necessary to train on heavy Olympic lifts
(bumper plates and a shock absorbing floor).

I did not want Alex to strain his shoulders trying to gently lower the weights
when performing Olympic lifts.
Olympic Lifters normally drop the weights to the ground from the apex of their lifts.




I had Alex try just 115 lbs for today...
however, it was too light.

Next time...
he will lift 120 lbs for his training weight.



Alex is using 135 lbs for his rows.

It seems to be around the correct starting weight for him.


I will have him lift to a point higher on his body next time.


My mother's training weight was also too light for this exercise
(As is her Sunday training Deadlift weight.  I will increase it to 80 or 85 pounds).

Next time she will be training with 45 lbs in the bench and rows.

She had no problem with today's training weight.



This was my mother's first time doing rows.

It is important to throw the shoulders as far forward as possible 
at the beginning of the lift so as to give a full stretch at the beginning of the lift
to the primary muscles doing the lift...
the back muscles.


I will also have my mother lift to a higher point on her body next time.

-----------

During one of the lifts...
my mother was attempting to lift in an inefficient manner...
in direct opposition to the direction of travel I was guiding her in.

She said that it had 'felt like' it was the correct path.
She was trusting her feelings over that of my teaching.

And yes...
I momentarily went drill sergeant on her
(only necessary because of repeated such actions).


After their lifts and stretches...
I had a talk with my mother.


I told her that she must know that she does not know...
if she is ever to learn.

A person must realize this before he/she is ready to learn...
anything.

I then said that I was NOT, in fact...
one bit sorry for my harsh tone and words...
that it was her repeated actions contrary to my instructions
that had made it necessary.

I then told her that if she is to expect to have 
the positive results of a man...
she must train as one.

I told her that I would give her no quarter just because she is my mother...
that she must train as a man must...
with a closed mouth, open eyes, ears, and mind...
that she must observe carefully...
and learn and apply...
and experience the results...
before 'feeling' something is right or not.


Before the PC hackles start rising in some...
just think about my reasoning.


Positive reinforcement should be the norm.

The problem arises on occasion when...
for whatever reason...
the student insists on going contrary to the lesson.

When it is the result of stubbornness...
you start out at the least level of correction...
and work up one level at a time...
but you never give up...
not on anyone you truly care about.

I could have just shrugged my shoulders and let it go...
but my mother would not only have had lesser results...
it could have led to later muscle strains.

An early pattern followed...
is a later pattern used...
for better or for worse.

It is then generalized...
and becomes a behavioral pattern for all types of situations.

For a student to be stubborn...
to allow him/her to win a small battle of wills...
leads to a mind which is closed...
one where he/she learns to not learn.

So many of today's children's poor behavior
(in general...not applied to specific excusable conditions)...
is a result of parental neglect (of their corrective duties to their children)...
not abuse 

(Laissez Faire parenting is simply being lazy.
It means you simply don't care enough).


As I have said before...
if a child feels he is just as good as everyone else...
he has nothing to learn from anyone else

(and yes...it applies to the student / teacher relationship...
regardless of age or social status).


This is why in specialized military schools...there is no rank. 
Officers / NCOs / Privates...are all the same.
All students are boneheads in the beginning.

The students' mouths are shut...
they look, listen, learn, and apply.
Once they have earned positive results (graduate)...
 then...and only then...
have they earned the right to speak
(unless spoken to or are asking for clarification).


Am I saying that parents should treat children this way?

No...unless they become unreasonable and stubborn in their opposition.
Then for the rest of the lesson...
yes.


However...
you must remember one thing...
Military Instructors are thoroughly vetted.
They know their material inside and out.

A parent should also.

Lead from true knowledge...
otherwise...at least lead them to those who do know.

Never bluff...
never fake it.

Trust is earned...
it is not something which comes merely by societal decree.








2 comments:

  1. So how did your mother react to your "drill sergeant" approach? Did she appreciate your rationale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, yes. She knows that I am always striving to help her. She understands what I sometimes must do. As I had explained to her, she is a rabbit in a hole from which I first try to entice out with carrots. If she refuses, I am then faced with either leaving her in her hole, or I must pull her out by her ears if she is ever to experience the world outside of her rabbit hole. Once she gets to see the world in all its glory, she is grateful. I have had to do this on several occasions. She knows that what I have to do sometimes, is for the right reason. I refuse to leave her in darkness and simply walk away. This metaphor is especially fitting, as she was born in the year of the Rabbit :)

    She doesn't get mad. She actually appreciates that I care enough to guide her in life. She knows it is love in action. She simply says that she understands...and in a short while, she is like a school girl once again...smiling and laughing. She feels secure in knowing that I am always vigilant for her sake.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...