Saturday, September 12, 2015

Hiking Mt. Rose Trail - Alex And His Grandmother



Songs:  Ave Maria / Astor Piazzolla

Artists:  Mirella Pantano (Bass Flute / C Flute)

Nicoletta Evangelista (Piano)



Today...
after Alex had finished his studies...
we decided to go on a short hike on a portion of the Mt. Rose Summit Trail.

Instead of my mother's night walk, which was scheduled for tonight...
she had gone on a longer day hike with Alex and I.

Alex and I had hiked much farther up this trail a while ago.
I knew there was a flat spot up the trail about a mile or so...
where we could not only rest in some shade...
but where we could see Lake Tahoe in the distance.

The hiking trailhead is just under 3/4 an hour from home.


This was our starting point.




And...up we went.


We had a nice easy hike up.

As we were already above 8,700 feet in elevation at this point...
and as it was all up hill until we reached the turnaround point...
we kept the pace slow enough so as to not get my mother too tired.

Our turn around point was well over 9,000 feet in elevation.





We rested for a few minutes about half way up.




We reached our turn around point and rested for approximately 10 minutes.

At first...
my mother was breathing a bit hard...
but she quickly caught her breath.



When my mother went to a nearby tree to take a needle off of it and put it in her shirt pocket
so she could press it in a book as a souvenir of her hike...
I knew she was ready to hike back down :)


My mother remarked how much more easily she could walk down hill :)


She was happy to be at the bottom...


but she was even happier to have successfully completed the hike.


We then drove a little further down the road 
to a Lake Tahoe lookout point alongside the road.

Usually the air is crystal clear up here.

However...
as often is the case in Summer...
a forest fire was burning somewhere in California...
which had made the air slightly smokey.



This particular pointer and placard shows the dividing line between
 the States of California and Nevada.

Lake Tahoe is the lake from which Reno gets its drinking water.





As part of our routine for any day outing...
we finished it off with a nice meal out.

We went back to one of our favorite restaurants...
Naan and Kabab (Mediterranean Food).


The last time we were here...
I had remarked how much I had loved their Steak Kababs.

I must now mention their absolutely delicious salads...
and their fresh hot Naan.

Their house salad is so fresh and tasty.

It comes with Oregano sprinkled on top...
and a very tart and tasty Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing.

This is a proper salad.

It is so filled with flavor and tartness...
it really sets the tone for the great meal to follow.

The most flavorful and healthful salad dressings I have ever had...
originate from the Mediterranean, and from Japan.


Their Naan is delicious.

We always finish off two baskets when we eat here...
sometimes three :)


Alex and I ordered the Steak Kabab.

Alex loves the spices which seem to have been infused in the meat.

There is deliciousness in every juicy bite.



As my mother had had a large lunch prior to our hike...
she only wanted a large bowl of lentil soup.

She said that at first she thought she wouldn't be able to finish it all...
but once she had...
she said that it was just so delicious that she had to finish it all.

I must say this again...
if the flavor of food doesn't positively come alive in your mouth...
it wasn't seasoned or cooked correctly.

A simple flame grilling brings out all the natural flavors of vegetables...
and makes them truly delicious.

Beef...
when cooked over a flame...
and seasoned correctly...
should practically say...Moo! :)

(because it is so alive with flavor)


Once again...
they flame broil every meat and cooked vegetable...
and this...
along with their fantastic seasonings...
makes all the difference in the world.


Alex got to enjoy some Persian chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert.


My mother and I had shared a plate of coconut date rolls.

I also had some Persian tea.

This tea is one of my favorite teas...
along with some Japanese teas.

However...
my favorite tea of all time is...
Moroccan Mint Tea.

I had some several decades ago...
and I am still looking for more of the same :)



Alex loves our little day trips.

My mother also said that she enjoys our outings very much.

I am getting her used to getting out and seeing and experiencing the world.

I have many more short hikes for my mother to go on with Alex and I.


Next week...
my mother and I will go out house hunting once again.

She is so excited at the prospect of getting a nice little house with a view.


--------------


I am trying to get my elder sister and her husband to consider retiring here in Reno.

There is just so much to see and do...
most of which costs no more than the price of gas to get there.

Reno is a city with nature at its doorstep.

It is a favored retirement destination...
with a whole gamut of outdoor activities year round.

Each season has its own beauty...
and none of which is harsh.

Although we must move in a few years
once Alex gets accepted to a University...
I wouldn't mind living here for the rest of my life.

Life is just so rich here.

With the simple pleasures of life abounding...
all within an hour of Reno...
I love calling Reno my home.

For those who hear the call of nature...
Reno should definitely be considered.


------------


My mother is loving her new lifestyle.

She now realizes that to live life with no progress...
is to be a rabbit in its little hole in the ground...
afraid to see the world all around it.

Life is to be lived.

Plant all the future fruiting trees far up the spiral of life...
and always walk forwards and upwards.

These are the carrots of life...
and it makes all the difference in the world psychologically.

With things to look forward to in life...
drive is stimulated.

It is through drive and a dream...
that we create our own heaven.

All of life then becomes magical.


My mother is realizing this way of thinking...
and so, is no longer a rabbit in its hole.

Where before she had been passively watching all of life 
through a TV set in her little rabbit hole...
she is now boldly stepping forwards and truly living life.

There are many adventures in her future now...
and so much of life to be lived.



Alex has long understood this way of thinking...
and so, has always had his future in his mind...
and so, has always had something to look forward to...
to plan for...and to steadily walk towards.

Mindset determines more of the outcome of life for each individual...
than any other factor (for all individuals in the U.S.).


I must say this again...
Drive is the number one factor for success...
and having a dream is the number one factor for developing...
and internalizing...
Drive. 


Just as a successful hike needs two components...
a firm direction...or path to follow...
and the will to walk it...
it also follows logically that through the having of both...
the successful reaching of the destination 
then becomes a foregone conclusion.

It then becomes a simple matter of how truly you follow your path...
and how quickly you walk it...
which then determines how quickly you reach your destination...
but reach it... 
 you eventually shall.






2 comments:

  1. Excellent that your mother wants to, with your encouragement, be so active. And also wonderful that she is able to do these things. Although it may have been a relatively easy hike for you and Alex, at that elevation I'm sure it was a challenge for your mother. Congrats to her for her attitude and accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I will relay your comment to my mother.

    She is so happy she moved to Reno. She loves it here...even though I have yet to show her so many of the places. She is looking forward to Autumn and Winter. My mother has greatly extended her ability to exercise since coming here.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...