Friday, September 4, 2015

A Walk Along The Truckee River - Alex And His Grandmother



Song:  Unknown

Artist:  Unknown


Since Alex's schedule was relatively light yesterday...
I thought a nice walk along the Truckee River would be nice.

So...
Alex, his grandmother, and I, drove to Lake Tahoe (the source of the Truckee River).




Although we had left after 4 PM...
 there was still plenty of daylight left to enjoy a short walk.



Although the Truckee River is at one of the lowest levels I have seen...
not only due to how late it is in the season...
but because we also had a very dry winter...
and so, Lake Tahoe is not so full as it usually is.


I had parked along the road at our normal biking route halfway point
(of our 10 mile bike route)...
and we just walked for approximately three miles in total
(to a resting point and back).

Although my mother is only used to walking about one and a half miles at a time...
she did well today on our short three mile walk.



We just took our time and strolled along the river.




We reached our rest point and just relaxed by the river.


Some ducks had swum up...
and then paddled their way up the river.


Although my mother was somewhat tired...
she said that she felt relaxed in the surroundings.


It was a nice day.
The temperature was in the high 50s...
and there was a nice cooling mountain breeze always blowing.


Alex went forward to take some pictures.



Alex then took some pictures of my mother and I walking together.

As I take most of the photos...
I don't have many photos of my mother and I together...
so, I had asked Alex to take some of us walking together.





We had parked along the road just opposite this bridge.

I had shown my mother how near we were to the car...


and she got a BIG relieved smile on her face :)



We were near the small bridge...
and so, were near the car.


We had finally arrived at the car...
and my mother was so relieved.

For her...
although it had been an enjoyable walk...
it had been a long one.


After our walk...
we drove to our former favorite Truckee River restaurant 
to enjoy a nice meal next to the river.

Alas...
it was not to be.

Their outdoor section was closed...
so, we went to another restaurant on the other side of the river.

It had looked promising.


We walked up to the door and looked at the menu.


They had some of our favorites:

Sashimi

Grilled Salmon

A Large Rib Eye Steak

I could almost taste that steak...when...
my mother announced that she wasn't hungry...
and that she just wanted to sleep in the car.

We, of course, were not going to have her in the car while we ate...
so, we just waited in the car for over half an hour while she napped.

They not only had their outdoor section open...
they had a talented young man playing a guitar 
and singing some great 60s and 70s hits
(I think we found a new favorite Truckee River restaurant).

We were parked with a view of the outdoor section.

I could not only hear the music being played...
I could see the patrons enjoying their meals.
I saw this one man with a look of great satisfaction on his face.
I just know he must have been enjoying a great big juicy Rib Eye Steak :)

When my mother had awakened...
she said that she still was not hungry...
but rather...very sleepy
(she had stayed up all night and morning playing video games...
when she should have been sleeping.  
Although my mother has greatly improved in living by the basic three...
getting enough sleep on a regular basis is the area where she needs the most improvement).

This area will actually self correct when her level of exercise increases...
however, for now...she is having the light hearted fun of a child  :)


And so...
instead of eating there...
we drove home to drop my mother off so she could sleep in a nice comfortable bed...
and we decided to eat at our favorite Indian restaurant

(we had initially chosen to eat at our favorite steak and rib restaurant
(I still had Rib Eye Steak on my mind  :)...
however, as we are going to Reno's famous Rib Cook Off competition in a few days...
and I wanted Alex to be able to enjoy many types of ribs there).


We are not too far from home here.


We arrived in our mountains...
just a short way from home.

My mother was glad to climb into bed...
whereupon she had fallen fast asleep.

Alex and I then went to the Indian restaurant
(I ordered a take home plate of Tandoori Chicken for my mother 
for when she had awakened).


Alex and I then drove into town to enjoy our meal
(no day outing is complete without a nice meal to bring it to a proper close :)


We had order some of our favorites...


and Alex and I then ate to our heart's content.

After our nice little walk in the mountains...
our evening meal had tasted extra delicious.

---------

My mother was still asleep when we got home.

She slept until midnight...
woke up hungry...
ate her Tandoori Chicken...
and then fell fast asleep again :)

(although one shouldn't eat before bed...
she normally stays awake all night long...
and then sleeps during the day in a quiet, darkened, and air conditioned room
 (we are both naturally inclined to this sleep pattern).

Although it is now almost 3:30 AM...
my mother is still asleep...
and will most likely, sleep for many more hours.

She is now comfortably exhausted :)

She is sleeping the sleep of a person who had a healthful amount 
of one of the best of all sleep aids... daily exercise  :)


I have my mother do night walks...
which are ever increasing in intensity...
and for now...increasing in length.

She will soon be sleeping very deeply for long periods on a regular basis...
and if not...I will merely increase the amount of exercise even more :)

----------

Alex had a good time today.

As always, he has been studying long hours everyday.

I always try to get Alex out into the mountains to enjoy a break from everything...
on a regular basis...
so he may just relax, clear his mind, and recharge his soul.

And, as always...
the carrot at the end of the day is his choice of restaurant...
so he may look forward to what he most feels like eating on that day...
and to bring a fun filled day to a proper ending.

-----------

Later today...
Alex will be tutoring high school students in math...
and in a couple of weeks...
Alex will be starting his own math club at his high school.

He will be teaching competition math every other week at his high school
(the room is booked every other week by another club).

Alex is preparing his lessons...
and looking forward to teaching others
in a subject which is close to his heart...
while, at the same time...
preparing himself with practical experience for his chosen future profession...
that of a University Math Professor.


(This is a key point)
A dream to fulfill...engenders drive from within.

Studying becomes a joy...
as it is merely walking a path towards personal fulfillment.

Regular study then becomes not a walk of drudgery...
one which must be endured...
but rather, becomes a pleasurable walk along a flowing river...
one which is filled with beautiful sights...
cooling winds...
and a clear path upon which to tread.












2 comments:

  1. Looks like you wore your mother out. :) Good that you are keeping her so active.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had slept so much during the following two days after the walk :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...