Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Alex And His Grandmother On A Rucksack Night Walk



Song:  I Look Up When I Walk

Artist:  Kyu Sakamoto



As my mother's rucksack had arrived today...
we all went on a night walk together
(as I was taking photos...I had no rucksack on :)

The rucksack with frame only weighs a couple of pounds...
however, as my mother had to get used to wearing one...
as well as having to modify her posture...
we had shortened the walk some.


Alex is carrying 80 lbs of sand in his rucksack.

My mother is wearing an empty rucksack.

She won't be adding sand to her's for a while yet.

She must first be able to do the whole 2 mile walk to the apex of the halfway hill.

Once she accomplishes that...
I will be adding sand to her rucksack...
a little at a time.

This, along with her twice weekly weight training...
 is what shall help her build her bones...
as well as the rest of her body.



We had just started the walk...
and even though Alex is carrying 80 lbs of sand in his rucksack...
his pace was faster than his grandmother's pace.


I had Alex slow down enough for his grandmother to catch up.


I also had my mother speed up some to try to keep pace with Alex.



I had them stop and look at some of the city lights from the low point of the walk.

Although my mother looks to be almost as tall as is Alex...
it is only because Alex is leaned over quite a bit...
as you will see in the next picture.



On the way home...
I told Alex to go on ahead...
as his grandmother has a slower pace.

Alex was then free to step it out.


Even though his grandmother had also tried to pick up her pace...
Alex immediately started pulling away from us.

I told him to just wait for us at the front door of our house.

In but a few minutes...
he was out of sight.


My mother was breathing a little more deeply on the way home...
not only because of the way the rucksack opens up the abdomen and chest
(which in turn, allows for a more full expansion of the diaphragm)...
but because the way back home from the low point...
is all uphill.


My mother did well for her first rucksack walk.


My mother kept in good form the whole way...
although her steps started to get shorter as she tired.


However...
as we neared home...
she lengthened her stride once more  :)


Alex had been resting near our front door as he awaited our arrival.

Alex is adapting well to his rucksack weight.

His grandmother had also done surprisingly well...
considering she had never before worn a rucksack.

She had found it to be comfortable.


Of course...
I think she will start to think differently once I start adding sand to her rucksack  :)


In the future...
my mother shall be doing her night walks separately from Alex and I...
as we have a much faster pace.

I will simply be walking with my mother on her night walks...
on different nights.


As my mother is 76 years old...
and she had never really worked out before coming here...
I am making sure she adapts fully before raising the intensity or duration of her training.


My mother is now taking a nice hot shower.

She always feels so good after her workouts...
her nice hot shower...
and when she then gets into her night clothes...
and settles in bed to watch a good drama...
until sleep then...overtakes her.


As she progresses in her weight training and her rucksack night walks...
she will continue to feel better and better.

She shall soon know the meaning of earning her way through the gates of heaven 
(the good feeling which lasts for days after a good workout)...

by first walking through the gates of hell
 (accepting, and looking forward to, temporary pain or discomfort...
knowing that is what transports one through the heavenly gates).


So long as a person is allowed to fully adapt to his/her training before progressing...
that which was formally known as discomfort...becomes pleasure...
and workouts are looked forward to...
and fully enjoyed...
and so...
becomes a lifetime habit.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...