Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Words Of Wisdom From A Bonehead




Song:  Us And Them

Group:  Pink Floyd


Why would anyone wish to get any advice from a bonehead?

Because...
if even a bonehead, such as I...
could fully retire at the age of 51 (I am 55 now)...
 have no real worries (monetarily) for the rest of my life...
to have realized that our most valuable commodity is one of time...
and so, to know enough to enjoy the magic of everyday life...
it means I had done certain things in life correctly
(in my case...it wasn't luck...it was careful planning...
of always looking to the future...and of walking that carefully laid out path).

Besides...
so long as the message can be verified...
it is not about the messenger...
it is all about the message.

Ex.:  A person at a bar drunkenly mumbles...
1 + 1 = 2 (mathematically speaking).

Because he is drunk...
the message cannot be trusted?

As it can be verified...
the message is all important...
not the messenger.


Photos taken at Las Vegas on the Stratosphere tower...
after Alex's 2015 ARML Nationals Competition.


I had included these photos to show
that I am quite unremarkable in stature and in weight.

I am average in almost every respect.

You wouldn't notice me in a crowd.

I am merely...Joe Citizen.

I am not especially intelligent...
actually...I am quite the bonehead.

I am not...however...a fool.

A fool thinks he is better than he is
(and that is why he never improves).

I know I am a bonehead...big difference  :)


When I say bonehead...
I mean as measured objectively.

As I have said before...
all my grades throughout my years in school...were abysmal.

My vocabulary is ...well...atrocious.

School was torture for me.

I simply could not sit still...
or keep my mind from wandering.

I was highly immature until I went into the Army
(I will always be grateful for my time there.
I got my life on track after I got out.
I had come out a much better person).

Although I had done better at university...
I am still amazed I had tolerated sitting in a classroom until I graduated.



I was a quiet child...shy and awkward.

You know how some of the highly intelligent children are quiet?

Well...I was not one of them for that reason  :)

I was quiet because...
well...you know the saying:

If I keep my mouth shut...
they will only think I am a bonehead.

If I open my mouth...
they will surely know I am one :)


However...
I was quiet mostly because...
like most quiet people...
I observed and listened very carefully
(except in class :)

Like most people...
I learned much of what I know by experience...
and by reading a lot of books on various subjects.

My mind operates very simply...
through good ole' country common sense.


And so...my first piece of bonehead wisdom:


1)   Observe and listen very carefully...
 try to understand the core meaning or pattern...
its importance and its application...
through simplification...and generalization.


Without the input of information...
the variables necessary to come to rational conclusions
will not be available to you.

You must carefully watch and listen for not only what is there...
but for what is not.

You must be especially watchful of contradictions in speech.

Ask yourself why and why not.

Think things through to their natural conclusion.

The result will become apparent.

If not...
the necessary variables were not given...
and this will also tell you something.

Especially when it comes to people...
it is through their actions, in-actions, and reactions...
which will tell you the most truly about them.

When there is a discrepancy between the stated intent...
and the implied logical result...
or between words and actions over time...
and knowing that words are easily said...
but actions over time takes effort and commitment...
you will automatically know what to believe...
and you will then be faced with but two possible reasons
for the discrepancy:

Purposeful 

Non Purposeful



Most Common Core Reasons 
for Purposeful Discrepancies


Core Reason:  Arrogance


It is through arrogance that a person may justify his deceit.

He sees himself as an adult...and the others...as children...
or more accurately...
he sees himself as a god among mere mortals.

He always seeks social dominance...
usually through the control of information.

This is a person who is logical enough to deceive...
but not logical enough to realize he is on the wrong path in life.

By thinking that all others are fools
(he must...otherwise, he would not try to constantly deceive)...
he lacks true foresight.

He thinks that life is about putting up a front...
a facade...a false face.

You will see it in his 'power' posturing...
and in his obnoxiously loud behavior and provocative dress.

He is screaming out..."Believe ME"...
instead of saying in a modest manner...
"Believe this plan because it is the most efficient and effective".

He will put all of his effort towards the appearance that he is better than he is...
and so, thinks that a good lie is the ultimate achievement...
when instead, by putting his effort into actually becoming good...
he would further his life without fear of exposure.

It is through their stubborn arrogance that they think they may constantly
double down on their lies...to always make them bigger...
to add emotional emphasis...to repeat them long enough and loudly enough...
that others will believe them.

They know the power of words and emotion.
They will frequently try to slip in ambiguous words with emotion attached
as a distraction for their false premise.

While this often works in the shorter term...especially when large crowds are involved...
they will lose to the intelligent person with true insight...and a solid plan...
in the long run.

As an arrogant person...
he loves...more than anything else...
power and prestige.




Core Reason:  Evil



Subcategory:  Greed


This person's end game is one of material gain.

They don't care if they are exposed in the long run...
so long as they will have gained materially. 



Subcategory:  Sadism / Anger / Envy


Sadists are very special types of people...
and thankfully, quite rare.

They derive great pleasure in destruction.

Beyond this...I really don't understand what drives them.



Angry and Envious people are not so rare.

They don't care for a plan to move forward...
they just don't want any plan to work.

They are typified in the 'Crab in a Bucket' mentality

(the crab that stays at the bottom of the bucket...
not trying to climb out himself...
but who just constantly pulls other crabs down that try to).




Most Common Core Reasons for
Non Purposeful Discrepancies



Core Reason:  Simple Logical Misstep


Simple logical missteps are easily committed...
 especially when dealing with complicated matters...
and so, it is easy to get lost in the logic tree of the mind.

When asked to explain himself...
he will usually be able to correct himself.




Core Reason:  Ignorance


These people may be idealistic...
but simply have not thought out what they espouse.

These people merely parrot what they have heard.

As a parrot, all they can do is simply repeat what they have heard...
often while attempting to mimic the emotional content using
the same voice inflections and body language.

And, as a parrot, they have no real understanding as to what they say...
and so, have the 'deer caught in the headlights' look when 
challenged to explain the discrepancies.

These people...
not having understood what they had said...
will not have understood the naturally implied logical result
which points to the falsity of their statements...
especially if there is an inherent contradiction.


So why is knowing why so important...
especially when, for whatever reason...
you cannot trust them?



The plain fact is...
you should not rely on trust.

Each of us is fallible as to knowing the true intent of others.

Truth through verification of the message is all important.


The second reason is...
by knowing the reason behind the discrepancies...
you will be able to predict future behavior...
and so, establish counter measures
in cases of purposeful deceit...
or you may help guide the ones
who had non purposeful discrepancies.



A major reason to listen very carefully to words which are spoken...
is that words have meaning.

As there are seemingly numerous synonyms in use...
many are actually higher or lower on a hierarchy of meaning...
and this can change the application of such words.

It is not merely an argument of semantics.

Semantics means...the meaning of words.

To leave out words which could affect the result...
to put in words which could apply more broadly than implied...
these are just some ways deceit is carried out.



There are three basic rules of communication:


Communicate Openly And Honestly

Communicate With Precision And Concision

Communicate Not To Be Understood...
But So You Cannot Be Misunderstood.



When these rules are not adhered to...
there is an underlying reason.

Knowing these underlying reasons...
if even by deducing them over time...
will allow you to apply the appropriate remedies.



Why am I telling you this piece of common sense?


Two reasons:


Firstly...
as I am constantly astounded by the actions of people...
the actions which tell me they are not thinking things through...
I can only deduce that common sense is no longer so common
(and so, speaking of it alleviates much of my frustration...
'The emperor has no clothes!').



Secondly...
I am setting up a series of articles on simple adages in life...
as codified by a bonehead (me).



These will serve as a reminder for those who had lost faith
in their fellow man...or in himself.

I am letting you know that I am part of the silent majority...
and that you are not alone.

We know that rational thought...
critical reasoning...
will show the best path in life to take...
one which is not devoid of deep emotion...
but a path which will allow one to prosper...
and so, clear the horizon of the dark clouds
which inhibit the full expansion to new horizons...
giving one the piece of mind to fully, and deeply, enjoy life.


I am quite the opposite of the crab at the bottom of the bucket.

I am a crab who had climbed out
and had seen the vastness of the ocean...
and who is lowering a rope of hope to all the rest
before scampering to the ocean to live my life as a King Crab...
scouring the seas for the scallops of life.

Why?

Because, just as misery loves company...
so does that of the joyous.

People who live joyously...
love to see joy in others.

 Why?  Because of altruism?

No...
because it doubles the pleasure.

That of receiving...
and that of giving.


Now...
as a self admitted bonehead...
what right do I have to give advice?

Two reasons:

Firstly...
again, it is all about the message...
not the messenger.

I will fully, and rationally, support my statements...
and I have full faith in knowing that you will see
similar parallels in your life.


Secondly...
being a bonehead does not mean being foolish.

I have learned many of the correct paths in life in retrospect...through experience.

A highly intelligent person can see a clear path from the beginning...
often as a child...many years before so many of the others.
This was not me.


However...
knowing I am a bonehead forces me to acknowledge
that there is so much to learn from every experience...
and from so many people...
and the reason I observe and listen so carefully.

My lack of speedy processing and a great reserve of memory
has forced me to think ahead...
and to simplify and generalize that which I observe...
into easily understood, and followed, adages.


These have guided me in life successfully...
especially considering what I once was
(a person with a pinball mind and who had constantly daydreamed...
one who was easily distracted and very impulsive...
a late bloomer in almost every respect).



The great value of these adages is that so many on the Autistic Spectrum
use these same types of generalized rules to navigate life.


As I am not religious...
I will not be speaking from a religious standpoint.

However...
I am moral.

This will be the starting point of my adage articles...
Morality.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...