Thursday, May 28, 2015

Our Pre-Journey Meal For The ARML Nationals In Las Vegas



Song:  Long Train Running

Group:  Doobie Brothers



We are getting ready to leave for our eight hour drive to Las Vegas
for the ARML Nationals where Alex and his math club shall be competing.

This was our supper on the eve of our journey to ARML.


One of Alex's favorite meals is Unagi Donburi 
(Broiled Fresh Water Eel)
and an avocado and crab salad.


One of my favorite meals is Salmon Ochazuke 
(Tea rice porridge with two large salmon fillets)...
a large sprout salad...
and a side of Umeboshi 
(Japanese pickled plums).

We wanted to have an easily digestible meal on the eve of our departure
to ensure a very restful sleep before our long journey.

Although we like to eat out once a week...
it is the simple and healthful meals such as these
that Alex and I love the most.

I am still fully fueled from last night's supper.
Such a meal keeps me satisfied for a good 8 - 24 hours
(I usually eat only 1-2 times a day).

I had eaten this particular meal 16 hours ago...
and I am still not hungry
(although I still feel full of energy).

As a result...
I will not be eating again for another four to eight hours.

The portions I eat are usually 2 - 4 times the normal amount...
and, although I go for long times between meals...
my blood sugar levels remain stable...
and I suffer no hunger or waning energy levels.

I will often go for more than 24 hours between meals...
if I eat an especially wholesome and filling meal
such as Salmon Ochazuke.

If I eat junk food (as I sometimes must on the road)...
I usually get hungry within a much shorter period of time...
and so, I must eat much more often.

Habitual junk food consumption leads to an excess of calories consumed...
which is then deposited as fat.

This is why it is so important to eat nutritious meals
which pack a lot of nutrition in a highly digestible form.

Your body quickly and easily extracts the nutrients...
 the body no longer craves frequent amounts...
as it is always fully fueled and ready for action.

If the food we eat is not nutritionally dense and balanced...
our hunger is always there...
as the body is calling out for more in hopes of getting all it needs.

When our meals are nutritionally dense and balanced...
there is no call of alarm from the body.

As a result...
the body may just call upon its reserves to keep the blood sugar stabilized.

This is what teaches the body to burn fat 
to keep the blood sugar stable
(in addition to using the liver stores of glycogen).

This process is greatly accelerated if you exercise just before bed...
without additional consumption of calories.

 --------------

Addendum:  Remember....I am speaking as a 55 year old.

I do not recommend eating once a day for youth...
or for very highly active people.

When I was a teenager...I was eating more than 10,000 calories a day...
and I couldn't gain weight because my activity level was so high.


____________________


It is now late morning...
and we are preparing to leave.

I had gotten extra sleep so I would be well rested for the long drive.

I am enjoying a cup of coffee...
and I am looking forward to the road.

I love driving...
especially long highway drives.

I just listen to music and let my mind wander.


We shall be in Las Vegas for four days
(the competition is two days long...
but we wish to arrive one day ahead to ensure Alex gets a good night's rest...
and we will stay a day after the competition to ensure I get extra sleep
for the long drive home).


I will be taking a lot of pictures...
and I will write the next article in about five days.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...