Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Alex's Grandmother Visiting Him At UNR



Song:  Surrender

Artist:  Omar Akram


The other morning...
I took my mother to UNR so she could see some of the campus...
and to eat the tacos that I love so much...
while we waited for Alex to finish with his class.




My mother and I walked to his building...


and entered the Mexican cafe at which I always eat.


I had given my mother one of the tacos to eat.


She also thought that they were delicious.


We then rested in the student lounge until Alex arrived.


My mother had a fun time looking at all of the students walking by.



Alex's class had finished...
and he had met us at the student lounge.



We then walked to the main grass area so I could show my mother 
where I wait for Alex during the summer session
(under the shade of the trees).

Alex is leading the way.






After a brief visit...
we headed back to the car
(as we have been lying around and watching dramas together...
I felt she needed to walk around some :)







Later that day...
I took my mother to a local Asian Market.



We then went to a Korean restaurant for dinner
(as Alex was busy studying for his finals...
I took back food for he and his mother).

We had a seafood Korean pancake for an appetizer.

My mother had Tempura Udon.


I had a tasty dish of Stone Bowl Bulgogi Bi Bim Bap.



Before my mother temporarily goes back to California...
I want her to experience many of my favorite restaurants
here in Reno.

She is excited at the thought of living here.

My mother especially loves the fresh air and the stimulating mountain breezes here.

She is having a lot of fun.

We are eating good food...
seeing a lot of dramas...
and we are doing a lot of talking about her future.


My elder sister is currently coordinating with a real estate agent in CA
in an attempt to get one of my mother's income properties sold.

I am coordinating with a real estate agent here
in an attempt to secure my mother's desired property for purchase.

We have to wait for word from my sister in California
to be able to proceed further here...
so right now...
we are in limbo.

However...
at least my mother now has an immediate tangible dream to realize.

She has found the model of house she desires...
and the basic location.

If she misses out on this particular lot...
she will be able to get another lot with a spectacular view in a few months.

Either way...
relatively soon, she will be able to realize her immediate dream
(which will also benefit her midterm dream...and her long term dream).


I have been talking to my mother.

I have explained that many people never realize deep happiness
because they don't follow the three basic principles of happiness:


1)  Dream the dream

2)  Formulate the viable plans
(immediate / midterm / long term)

3)  Stay The Course Until Fruition


Of these three...
I would say that most fail at the third principle.

Many procrastinate...
and then they start to fear failure.

So long as a plan is solid
(risk/cost/benefit ratio is known and controlled)
people must walk the path forward.


I had lain out how such a purchase now...
would give her great happiness from now on.

It would spare her financial drain while living her life in happiness here
(she would also rent out her current house once she moves here...
giving her even more expendable income than now)...
It would give her greater financial gains than the property she would sell in California
once her desired house becomes an income property when she moves with us in 3 years...
and it would give her much greater gains upon its eventual sale.

Immediate / Mid-Term / Long Term monetary security
and deep happiness...fulfilled.


She loves the area and the views...
I will be able to take her everywhere...from shopping to vacations.

(She will not only never be lonely...
she will start to truly live her life.
We greatly enjoy each other's company...
we love talking over coffee or tea...
we will exercise together...
she will go everywhere with my family...
we will eat noodles and watch dramas together...etc)...

(I am her long term care giver from now on.
My father was 83 years old when he died over 4 years ago.
My sisters were watching over her before)...

My mother could enjoy her beautiful house and invite her friends over for extended stays...
and she would save on rent by buying (approximately $75,000.00 over 3 years).

When it comes time for us to move again
(when Alex enters University full time)...
she will move with us...
and rent out her house here for more than the unit she is selling in California
is bringing in now
(the same houses here are renting for more now)...
and in 10 or so years (or whenever she decides to sell it)...
she may sell it for more than she paid for it...most probably...far higher
(it is a relatively high end unit with views that are exclusive to our ZIP code...
and one used house of the same model was recently sold for 30% higher
than the purchase price because it had a spectacular view...
and the lot was not nearly so nice as my mother's desired lot.

It is in a gated community for 55+ year olds.

Of all the ZIP codes...
ours is the most desirable to live in.

There is not much more build-able area in our ZIP code to develop.

Reno is a desirable place for retirement.

Reno is also a place where companies are starting to move in.

6,500 jobs are opening with a new company coming next year...
and some high tech companies are exploring the area for a move.


This all translates into a win for immediate / mid-term / long term gains.

These reasons are what had won my mother over.


Many people simply do not think long term.

Happiness in America is easy to achieve...
if but the three basic principles of happiness are lived by...
and if they are applied to everything.











2 comments:

  1. Ah, you answered my questions in this post. Sounds like this will be a great move for your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is in motion. We just need patience. We must be ready to seize opportunity when it presents itself.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...