Monday, April 6, 2015

Alex's Night Walk Milestone - 50 lbs. (23 Kilos)



Song:  Living In The Past

Artist:  Jethro Tull



(Alex and I at Stampede Reservoir in 2013)


First of all...
before you look at the rest of the pictures...
yes...this was me a just a couple of years ago.


Notice...no pot belly!

I am no different now (really!)

It sometimes appears that I have a pot belly...
only because I wear very loose clothing...
and I breathe diaphragmatically
(just as an infant does...just one of many similarities I share with infants  :)

In this picture, I am just wearing a T-shirt...
so it clings to my body...
unlike the very large sweat shirts and the other extra large clothing I usually wear.

Keep this in mind when you see the following pictures!  

My ego is bruised everytime is see recent photos of me...
and it appears that I have a pot belly!   :)


-------------


Alex reached a milestone in our Night Walks.

We just finished off our second 50 lb. bag of sand...
from which we add sand incrementally to our rucksacks for each of our walks
(we now walk with 50 lbs. (23 Kilos) of sand in each of our rucksacks.
I had to take some time off to allow the tendons and ligaments in my feet to heal).


Although I am definitely the weak link on our walks...
as I am now 55 years old...
and I am on the downward slope of physical capability...
 Alex is just starting the upward climb of his physical capabilities.


I remember when I was in the U.S. Army from 17 yrs. through 21 years old.

We would regularly march through the hills and mountains with heavy rucksacks...
and many of the tough old (sometimes in their mid 40s) noncommissioned officers
could regularly trounce the much younger men in physical capabilities.

This is leading by example.

This is what I wish to do with Alex...
although, my wife would laugh when we get back from our walks...
when I sometimes have to suppress the urge to heave as I am catching my breath
while Alex is just smiling and calmly drinking cool water...
as was the situation after we got back from this night's walk  :)



In general...
we add 4 scoops of sand with each walk (1 lb).



We have just finished our second bag of 50 lbs. of sand
(the 30 stands for the grit size).

Remember...
I am wearing a loose sweatshirt...
I do not have a pot belly!  :)


Alex can still shoulder the rucksack by himself.





In another...
not too distant topic in relation to exercise...
I am growing sprouts for our salads.

I bought a new set of sprout containers...
as the last set allowed the sprouts to rot.

This new set is much larger...
and allows much better drainage and airflow.

I have seeds which are a combination 
of broccoli, alfalfa, radish, and mustard.

I will go more into this topic in a future article.


In a couple of days...
Alex will be participating in another public mathematical exhibition
with the NNV Mathclub at a local high school in their theater.

This will be my next article.











2 comments:

  1. Very impressive that Alex can carry that load and come back smiling. Hey, don't hurt yourself, old man. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be old...but I am a former NCO. I will continue to lead by example...until I hold Alex back too much :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...