Thursday, March 19, 2015

Alex's Last Trip To Mammoth Mountain



Song:  Eternal Love (Extended Version)

Group:  Future World Music


As Spring is upon us...
and we shall soon be moving to the Northern Coast of California...
we decided to go on our last trip to Mammoth Mountain and June Lake...
while there is still snow on Mammoth Mountain.

As our initial plan had fallen through...
we shall institute our contingency plan.

By mid-summer...
we plan to move to the vicinity of Eureka, California.

To give Alex the best shot at getting into a California University such as UC Berkeley...
he will have to have gone to a California high school for at least 3 years.

UC Berkeley has been, for almost 20 years straight...
the top public University in America...
and was recently rated as the #3 University in the world...
just behind Harvard and MIT.

Although Alex will also be applying to many other Universities...
UC Berkeley will be one of his choice spots.

Our move back to California will help facilitate this possibility.

As I have said before...
my whole purpose for retiring early
was so we could relocate, at a moment's notice...
 to wherever in the world would give Alex the best opportunity for his future.

We had chosen Eureka (or a town nearby)...
because it is similar in having a low cost of living as is Reno, NV...
while still having a nearby State University so he would be able
to take University courses while attending high school
(scheduling permitting).

So far as we know...
in order to apply under the 3 year rule...
it has to be an actual high school...
and not a virtual one.

So...
Alex will have some difficulty scheduling his advanced math
at Humboldt State University while attending an actual high school.

However...
we are still looking into possibilities.

If we can't schedule it during the school year...
he will still take Summer Sessions at Humboldt State University.

Addendum 3/21/15:  We may not move after all.  Further research has shown that
the move may not be so advantageous.  More on this in a later article.


The initiation of Spring in Reno...
as taken from our front yard.




We left mid-morning...
stopped for breakfast...
and continued on to Mammoth Mountain.


We are just 1/2 hour out of Reno here.


We are driving past Topaz Lake here.



A funny thing happened here...
in the middle of nowhere...
miles away from the nearest town...

okay...

something not so funny happened here  :)


When I pulled off the highway to take this picture...
I walked to the front of the car...while...
unbeknownst to me...
my wife had gotten out of the car and had stepped to the 
right rear of the car to take some photos.

Well...
you can guess what happened next.

Yup...
after I had taken my photo...
I got back in the car...
and as the car blocked my vision of my wife 
still taking photos on the far side of the car...
I started the car...
and took off  :)

Only when Alex started yelling for me to stop the car because I had left momma...
did I stop.

I got out and looked back to see momma 100 feet away...
running towards the car...
and yelling at me the whole way back :(

She thought I had pranked her...so she was mad  :)

Only after she got back in...
and I had explained that I had not done it purposely...
did she calm down.

I know...
as the driver...
I am Captain of the ship.

I should have checked to make sure everyone was there before leaving...
and it was my saying this which had saved us from having a looong argument...
although momma didn't appreciate my laughing at this little misstep of mine  :)

As she was sitting directly behind me while in one of the backseats with Alex...
I don't have direct vision of her when I get in the driver's seat.

Had Alex been asleep...
I wouldn't have noticed her missing...
for...I don't know how long.

However...
 I do know that it would have been a long day once I had eventually realized it...
and had gone back to retrieve her.

Sheeesh...
disaster averted!





We are on the Mammoth Mountain scenic route from Hwy 395.


We arrived at Mammoth Mountain.

It was fairly crowded today.




We are in a gondola on the way to the top of Mammoth Mountain (just over 11,000 ft.)





We are near the top here.


We arrived at the top.



We caught the tail end of the skiing season.

Most of the snow had already melted.





It was a very nice chilly day at the top of the mountain.








Our next stop was in this building where they have great views from inside.


There were scopes which were fixed in position and which had internal indicators,
and placards at the base of each scope explaining where each was pointed.



We then went back outside for more views.


Alex made some more snowballs...


and began underhand throwing them down the mountain.


 We are on our way back down in a gondola.





They had some kind of acrobatic ski competition.

We had seen some skiers do 720s, and other maneuvers, off the ramps.




Snowboarders were going back and forth between the ramps and catching air
on each side...just as skateboarders do at skate parks.

We left Mammoth Mountain...
and took the June Lake Loop just down the Hwy...
for one last look at the scenery there.

My next article will be of our goodbye tour of June Lake Loop.








2 comments:

  1. You've all had some wonderful times in Nevada and this visit to Mammoth was a great way to see the snowy mountains one last time. I would be a little nostalgic about leaving, but also looking forward to the next chapter. Eureka sounds like a good place, and the reason for moving there is a sound one. Alex seems to handle change relatively well. Is he looking forward to the move back to California?

    I can't believe that you have spring blossoms already... it looks like we are still weeks away from seeing any of that.

    I have to say that I was amused by your story of driving off and leaving your wife behind for a moment... though, for your sake, I'm glad that it was only for a moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Alex is looking forward to being near the ocean and the redwood forests. He is also looking forward to, possibly, putting together a math team at his school for competitions, and a weekend math circle for practice.

    Surprisingly, Alex likes new adventures in life. I think he is also excited at the possibility of making some friends there.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...