Sunday, March 1, 2015

Alex At The Southeast Shore Of Pyramid Lake



Song:  Tuesday Afternoon

Group:  The Moody Blues



(continued from previous article)

After having driven over a mountain pass which had led us away from the lake...
we had turned around and stopped alongside the highway at a spot which
would give us a nice view of Pyramid Lake.


It was just so peaceful here.

There was very little wind...
the air was just the right temperature...
and it was blissfully quiet.



This is the highway which we took to round the southern point of the lake...
and it is the one which we took back towards home.


Alex had fun making snowballs and seeing how far he could throw them.



I couldn't fool Alex so easily as I had many years ago.

As he was walking farther away...
I yelled out to him to watch out for the snow bears.

He had barely hesitated, as he knew I was joking...
whereas in years past...
he would have returned immediately, on the run... 
and all the while, scanning his surroundings cautiously  :)


There were some particularly low lying clouds in the mountains, and over the lake.


Alex making a snowball to throw.

Alex would throw snowballs...
and then walk out to their landing point 
so he could measure the distance thrown...in Alex feet  :)

He then threw snowballs...
and estimated the distance to the landing point...
and the flight time...
and in a few seconds...
had calculated the speed at which the snowballs had been thrown.


At one point...
Alex started throwing snowballs in high arcs.

He then declared that he was throwing in math...
and he looked at me as if I needed to solve his riddle.

I knew what he was going to say...
so, I then said that he was throwing in 
extreme obloid (oblate) parabolas.

He immediately smiled...
happy that I had understood what he had meant.

As he had been relating the motion of the snowballs to mathematics all day long...
I knew what he was doing the second he started doing it  :)


I love the way a snowfall seems to absorb all noise.

Our time here was one of quiet solitude.






We are preparing to leave at this point.



As we were leaving...
the setting sun had left a light cherry red glow in a section of the clouds.



For, but the price of gas...
and the short time spent getting to Pyramid Lake (45 minutes)...
we had a wonderful day of magnanimous views

(I know the word magnanimous is almost always applied to people...
but the word means 'greatness of soul'...
and the views were just so magnificent...
 the area seemed to have a soul of greatness).

I cannot stress how many places of grand splendor
are so easily available to all who live in Reno.

I am amazed at how few actually take advantage of the many
places of natural beauty which are within an hour's drive of Reno.

Again...
I am amazed...not unhappy.

Everywhere we go...
we are usually either...
one of the very few who are out there...
or the only ones out there...
and that is perfectly fine with me  :)











2 comments:

  1. Grand splendor and magnanimous views indeed. Ha, love that Alex is always thinking of math, even with his snowballs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a great time. This was the last snowfall of the season...I am so glad we had caught it in time.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...