Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Las Trojes Mexican At UNR - Makers Of The Perfect Tacos



Song:  Eres Tu

Group:  Mocedades



As I have said before...
the tacos at this cafe on the campus of the University of Nevada Reno
are simply the best I have ever had in my life.

I have been eating these tacos from this cafe since the beginning of Alex's 
Autumn semester at UNR...often, many times a week
(they aren't open for the Summer semester).


Almost everyday that I take Alex to his classes...
I stop in for my...
numero dos - carne
(number two (special plate of three tacos) - beef).

I know I have said much about these tacos in previous articles...
but I want to go into why these tacos are so delicious...
and how the concept behind the making of these tacos
should be generalized in the making of, not only all food, and in all products...
but, more importantly, how it should be generalized into a way of thinking.

First of all...
some pictures of this great little cafe in the business building of UNR...
Las Trojes Mexican.



First of all...
this little operation is speedy and efficient.
It has to be...
between classes...
this cafe can fill up with many students looking to eat...
but have little time to do so.

Their prices are very reasonable...
especially for the quantity and the quality you get.



I apologize for the quality of the photos...
I had used my iPhone, and I was slightly moving.

Their operation is very efficient...
and everything is very tidy and clean.

They serve the very best of what typifies great Mexican food...
the very chief factor of great Mexican food being...
freshness.

There were food preparers cutting fresh ingredients...
each of which I can taste in every bite.


The lettuce is crisp and chilled...
the grated Mexican cheese is flavorful, but not overpowering...
the full sized flour tortilla is fresh and soft...
and the freshly diced tomatoes top off this delectable treat.

However...
the two ingredients that really make these tacos so great...
is the ground beef...and the verde sauce.

First of all...
the ground beef is cooked just right.

It is light and fluffy...
not at all greasy...
and this is important...
they don't pre-spice the beef.

This is important...
as the verde sauce does the spicing...
and to the taste of the customer
(they have a container of the verde for customer use).

In this manner...
there is no clash of spices...
while at the same time...
it allows for the light fresh beef flavor to also shine.

Although I don't know much about food preparation...
I know that, first of all, they must be using quality ground beef.

There is never any gristle in the beef...
it is always light and fluffy.

I know that they must slowly cook the beef...
as any excess saturated fats are gently rendered out...
without any of the beef having a burnt taste.

The verde sauce (green sauce)...
is also spiced just right.

It is not so spicy or hot as to overwhelm the taste buds...
but it greatly adds to the flavor of the taco...
with just enough heat.


Another very important aspect of these tacos...
the proportion of the ingredients.

They do not skimp on the ingredients...
especially not with the ground beef.

The fill these tacos with heaping and fully generous amounts of ground beef...
from end to end.

They then fill up the rest of the tacos to the brim with the rest of the ingredients.

This correct proportion of ingredients is especially important.

If you look at how these tacos are constructed...
with each and every bite...
you have the beef, which is infused with the verde, filling the taste buds...
while the generous amounts of topping striking the upper palate and then
crunch between the teeth...which gives a greatly satisfying texture...
as well as its cool temperature giving contrast to the hot temperature of the beef.

The aroma of the grated cheese then fills the sinuses with a wholesomeness...
and flavors the whole taco just right.

These are Taco perfection.

----------

You think I am exaggerating my love for these tacos?


Here is a little love poem I made just for these tacos:


Eres Tu 
(It is you)

When I cannot have you...
I develop a craving that draws me forth...
a calling which cannot be denied.
You satisfy the deep hunger inside
with a perfection that only you can fill...
Eres Tu...my one and only...Eres Tu  :)


-----------


Tacos are one of my favorite meals.
I have loved them since childhood.

I have eaten them in different parts of the nation...
and even in other nations.

Never had I had such great tacos as these.

---------

I have been to places which specialize in Tacos...
and I have been in many Mexican restaurants.

Almost without fail...
I have been greatly disappointed.

Why?

Their beef is greasy...
overly spiced...
and small in quantity.

Their supposedly fresh ingredients are sparsely applied...
and well...neither chilled nor fresh.

---------

Okay...
I have explained what makes these tacos so great.

How do these attributes apply to everything else?


The concept behind these great tacos is one of:

Simplicity...
as applied in the correct quantity of quality.

I would go into this more...
but...well...
I want to keep it simple...
and in just the right amount of goodness  :)














2 comments:

  1. Love your description of what makes these tacos so wonderful. The next time I go out for tacos, I'll have to pay attention to whether they do all the things you point out. Glad you can have these on a regular basis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so surprised at how many places don't make tacos correctly. They are nothing without fresh ingredients, or without enough beef. Now, if I could just find the perfect cheese burgers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...