Monday, November 17, 2014

Alex's Advanced Weight Training And Conditioning III



Song:  Enter Sandman

Group:  Metallica





Alex engaging in Full Squats for 20 singles with 170 lbs.


Although Alex can Squat more than this amount of weight...
I had him start out with an easy amount of weight to lift...
and I will have him build up more slowly than as before.

He will be adding 10 lbs. to his Squat once a month.

He will start with 14 singles with a new and heavier weight...
with each succeeding week adding two more sets until he gets to 20...
and then the following workout drops to 14 sets
with the new higher amount of weight
(hence, the increase in weight once a month).

Although it may not seem like much of a weight increase...
in a year's time...he will have added 120 lbs. to his training weight.

We are shooting for his being able to Full Squat 300 lbs. 
for 20 sets of singles...in a little over one year's time.


Notice how he goes to rock bottom in his squat.

Also...
and this is extremely important...
he doesn't bounce at the bottom.

He pauses at the bottom of each lift for approximately 2 seconds.

This takes out the elastic effects of the tendons and the muscle sheathing...
and, most importantly, prevents damage to them.

I have him take a breath before the lift to the full standing position.
I then have him exhale for the duration of the controlled lowering of the weight
to the full squat position.

I have him take another full inhalation (to as full as can be managed)...
and he will then exhale for the full duration of his lift back to the starting position.

This, in itself, causes the pause at the bottom to last approximately 2 seconds.

I have him do this on all of his lifts.
This not only increases total body coordination and the desired training effect...
it prevents injuries.

I've made some major changes to Alex's weight training routine.

I am always with him as he trains.
I watch closely as he lifts.
I monitor his form...
and how his body reacts to the training
through his fatigue level and through his recovery level
from set to set...and from week to week.

As his body started to not fully recover from his last routine...
as evidenced from a decrease in the amount lifted...
it was time to simplify the routine once again.

Alex is not only lifting weights...
he is also engaging in muscular stamina and endurance training.

As we have increased this type of training...
his purely strength training has suffered.

This means that I have to take out some lifts...
and take down the level of intensity of the routine so his body may once again...
supercompensate.


I have taken out the Trap Bar Deadlift.

The Full Squat is the king of lower body exercises.

Alex already trains many of the same muscles as the deadlift 
when he does his Farmer's Walk.

So...
Alex now Squats...
and then does 20 pull ups 
(in sets of 3 with 20 - 30 seconds rest between)
for his Sunday weight routine.



Alex starts his pull ups from a fully extended position...


 and he can almost complete a full pull up on the first repetition of his early sets.


On his second repetition of each set...
this is about as high as he can go.


And by the third repetition...
this is about as high as he can go.


This is about as high as he can go by the time the last sets are completed.


I have also taken out the Press on Thursdays...
and added the Jerk.

Eventually, I will teach him the Clean and Jerk
(an Olympic Style lift).

-------

During our 2 mile night walks...
I've also had to take out another day to help with recovery.

We are now at the minimum for days a week (3 - Mon/Wed/Fri)
 of training for endurance and stamina.


However, as we are now up to 30 lbs. of sand in our rucks...
the intensity has increased...which has raised the training effect.

Now...
no matter how much weight we keep adding...
we won't go below three times a week for this type of training.

As the weight used has increased to a level
which may start to bring on ligamental strain and bone micro fractures in the feet 
if the training is done too often...
I had to pare down the number of times per week we may train in this manner
so as to allow time for the ligaments and bones in our feet to fully adapt.

As I am much older than is Alex...
and so, my adaptive capabilities are much lower than are his...
whenever I start to feel my body is not recovering...
especially in the ligaments of the feet...
I will know to slow the rate of weight increase in our walks.

I will be the 'miner's canary' so Alex will never have to suffer
any stress related injuries from our walks.

Our plan for our night walks is ambitious...
as we hope to be carrying over 100 lbs. of sand in our rucks 
for the entire 2 mile night walks by this time next year
(it is the 1/2 mile of incline to the apex of the hill at the halfway point of our walk
which is the real test...and builder of our stamina...
while under the steadily increasing addition of sand to our rucks).

From there...
we hope to be carrying at least our own body weight in sand 
by the end of the following year.

However...
I am realistic.
It may take us twice as long to reach our goals.

I have to take injuries and illnesses into account.

The ultimate question is how quickly I may adapt 
to the steadily increasing intensity of this type of training.

As a middle aged person...I am now the weak link  :(


This picture was taken when we only had 25 lbs. of sand in our rucks.

Notice we are now wearing light sweat clothes for our walks.
The temperature is now in the 30s at night.

When the temperature drops well below freezing...
we may start to wear beanies also.

I had also bought gel inserts for my shoes.

I know from experience that the very first things which break down 
during heavy ruck walks...are the feet.

We bought Alex shoes with gel shock absorbers already built in.


Exit...


 Sandmen  :)











2 comments:

  1. You are really building Alex up to be so strong physically. Hope you can keep up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have Alex carry his cellphone, and to know how to describe our location to 911 in case I have a heart attack on our way up the hill. I know that in the future, as the weight increases a lot, it will become a distinct possibility. Like so many guys our age, I still feel no different physically, as when I was a teenager. Although my body cannot adapt so quickly as before, I still have the desire to push my body. I still feel the great need to overcome an obstacle, and to have the constant feeling of calmness of mind and body that accompanies heavy exercise. So long as I allow extra time to build up to our goals, and especially if I closely monitor my recovery, I should be able to sustain a reasonable rate of growth without holding Alex back...too much. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...