Wednesday, October 29, 2014

University Of Nevada Reno (UNR) Campus Views / Fall Colors



Song:  Cristofori's Dream

Artist:  David Lanz




I wanted to show you a teaser of some of the beautiful Fall colors
from the UNR campus coming in this article.

However...
as I had said I would do...
this is the little Mexican Cafe I usually eat from when I wait for
Alex to finish his Linear Algebra class in the same building.

I have been eating here almost every day that Alex has class.





I always order the same meal - #2 - 3 soft beef tacos.


My particular dish is made to order...and not the pre made and warmed food.


This is the drink I always buy to accompany my meal.
I only drink sweetened drinks when I eat out.

This particular one has caffeine.
I usually sleep until just before I take Alex to the University...
so, this helps wake me up.


There is a student eating area adjacent to the cafe...
but I usually eat outside.


 I usually sit on one of these benches just outside Alex's building while I eat.


These are the tacos of which I simply cannot get enough.

The flavors are simple, but very fresh.

After eating these...
I am satisfied only until my next visit to the campus a couple of days later.

I look forward to eating these every time.
They have a lot of ground beef in them...
and every bite just hits the spot.
I just love these tacos!


Ok...
now, on to the pictures I had taken today.


I had taken this picture from the student parking garage.


This is of the Student Union building.


This is of the staff parking garage
(although students may use it during the Summer Session).




This is where I eat my meal after Alex goes to his class.


I then walk toward the large grassy area to sit in the shade and listen to music
as I wait for Alex's class to end.


I usually lean up against this small incline and enjoy the views.


I like looking out at the grassy area.
Often times, there are students playing catch with flying discs...
or some will practice their gymnastic or dance routines.





The wind gently rustles the leaves as I lie on the grass.
It is such a pleasant experience just relaxing in such an atmosphere
as I wait for Alex.




After I had relaxed a bit...
I got up and walked around some of the campus.






This is of the campus bell tower.
It rings out the hour.

I love the sound of the bells in contrast to the almost always
peaceful surroundings and dead quiet.


I had seen this Ivy covered building...
and I wanted to see what was on the other side.


They have this nice little pond there.


Duck?


Duck?


Goose!  :)



I walked South past the pond to see some great Fall colors in many of the trees.













This area is where students may just sit in peace and quiet.























Alex and I are walking back to the car.


Alex took another quiz in his Linear Algebra class today.

He had gotten 100% on it.

There are a total of 11 quizzes.
They total up to 35% of the grade.

He is now studying for his Biology Exam.
He will take it on Friday.

We plan to drive around to take pictures of houses with unique Halloween decorations
this Friday evening...before it gets too dark.

Hopefully, I will have enough photos to make an interesting article.



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures and tacos looks delicious. By the way, who is the bronze statue? The founder of this university?

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Mackay: (from Wikipedia...I didn't know much about him)

    The Mackay School of Earth Sciences and Engineering, formerly Mackay School of Mines, is a specialized school within the University of Nevada, Reno.

    It is named after John William Mackay. In June 1908 the Mackay School of Mines was presented to the University of Nevada, as a memorial to him, by his widow and his son, Clarence H. Mackay. A statue of John Mackay by Gutzon Borglum stands in front of the mining building on the main quad of the campus.

    The W.M. Keck Earth Science and Metal Engineering Museum is located within the building. It focuses on early Nevada mining history and also contains a collection of ornate Mackay family silver completed by Tiffany & Co. in 1878.[1]

    Part of the College of Science, the School has three academic departments: Geological Sciences and Engineering, Mining Engineering, and Geography.[2] The Mackay School also houses four departments devoted to public service: Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology, Nevada Seismological Laboratory, Nevada State Climate Office, and the Nevada Stable Isotope Laboratory. Research facilities include the Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy, Center for Research in Economic Geology, Mining Life-Cycle Center, Center for Neotectonic Studies, Arthur Brant Laboratory for Exploration Geophysics, Collaboratory for Computational Geosciences, Dendro Laboratory, and Geospatial Laboratory. The school is also affiliated with the U.S. Geological Survey and Desert Research Institute.

    Those tacos, even after I eat 6 a week...I still love them. By the time the semester winds down...I'll probably have had my fill for a while. But then again, I've loved tacos all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eat 6 a week! I'd like to have! There's no Mexican restaurant here in Matsuyama. Next time I'll visit Tokyo, I'll try. Thank you about John Mackay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...thank you for your comments. Please know, as with any dishes, the quality of the cook can make all the difference. Many places in the US don't make tacos well. Tacos should never be greasy, and the ingredients must be fresh. It is the ratio of meat to the lettuce to the tomatoes to the cheese to the tortilla...and finally the quality of the taco sauce, which will determine the deliciousness of the taco. Since it has a very simple flavor profile, each component is important. And as is the case with anything simple, if it doesn't work well, it wasn't done correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost all of the leaves have fallen from the trees in our area and it feels like winter is upon us already, so I feel a bit envious that you can still enjoy such beautiful fall colors.

    Your photos and descriptions of your meals always make me hungry. I'm getting an urge for tacos now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was surprised that the best close up fall colors are right in our area. UNR has a lot of beautiful trees for their fall colors...and I hadn't even covered much of the campus. There is still so much more to see...next Fall :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...