Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Alex's Progress In His University Statistics Class



Song:  Warmth Of The Sun

Group:  The Beach Boys


Alex is doing very well in his Statistics Class at the University Of Nevada - Reno.

He has daily quizzes which add up to a total of a quarter of the final grade...
and 3 exams, each of which are a quarter of the final grade.

Alex is getting an A in his course as it stands now.
He is doing very well with the daily quizzes...
and he got an A on his last exam.

He has another exam in a few days.





This is a portion of one of the daily exams.  

Each daily quiz usually has 6 questions.

For this particular quiz...
there was an extra credit question.

Alex had answered it correctly...
so he had gotten 7 points instead of the normal 6.


Alex is doing the basic three of academics...
each of which is necessary to excel in his classes:


1)  Listen to and observe everything very carefully in class...
and take very good notes.

2)  Study everyday and review the notes especially carefully.

3)  Read ahead in the text on a daily basis...
strive for conceptual understanding. 

This allows for directional understanding...
even before the teacher explains it in detail in class.
This ensures you will never be left behind...
and this is what allows you to take good notes.
You will know what to expect...
and so, you may then concentrate 
on the salient points.



A couple of years ago...
when I was teaching Alex how to outline a writing assignment...
I had explained how it was the same thing as taking notes at University...
and that taking excellent notes was necessary for performing well.

Alex had learned to outline well...
and, as a result...
he had already known how to take notes in a University setting.

At first...
I was afraid that Alex would try to write down everything...
and so, become inundated in information.

My fears were unfounded.

He had captured the most important points...
and he is using them to properly study with.

Below are some of Alex's notes from his Statistics class.






His notes are organized...
and surprisingly neat.

Alex loves his Statistics class.

He is having a great time learning such an important subject...
 in such a mature learning environment.

Alex well knows that as this is his first University course...
the results will be part of his permanent record...
as will be his High School records...
once he starts in August.

So...
Alex feels proud to have as his first permanent record...
a University course...before entering into High School.

He will get credit for University and for High School...
at the same time.

How is that for efficiency?

Although Alex will be attending a High School soon...
we are always looking for the best opportunities for Alex's education...
as well as setting up contingency plans in case our expectations 
for his education are not met by the educational institute he is, or will be, in.

Whatever we do...
it is for Alex's future.

That which will ultimately be best for Alex and his future...
is that which we shall do.

After Alex came back from his Statistics class today...
he studied some more...
then we had a nice meal...
and then we sat in the backyard for a short while...
and enjoyed the setting sun.




What a beautiful day this was.
The evening hours are particularly nice here.

The days never become unbearably hot...
and the nights become cool...
and there is almost always a very nice cool breeze at all times.







Alex and I sat outside and enjoyed the nice cool breeze...
and the setting sun.

I told him how proud his mother and I are of him.

I told him how he is doing everything right 
in setting himself up for a beautiful life...
and of how his mother and I are always going 
to do everything in our power to ensure his success and happiness.

I had wanted to enjoy a movie with Alex tonight...
but he said he wanted to work on his novel some more.

That is so Alex  :)


Alex is looking forward to this Friday (4th of July).

Alex is going to be in charge of the Bar-B-Q.

I will be there to show him what to do...
and he will do the cooking.

I am quite sure that he will do a much better job with it than I have done  :)



My days are just so perfect.

Alex does much of his studying in the morning and the afternoon...
and then he studies some more in the evening.
He is doing so well in his classes as a result.

I wake up in the late afternoon and then guide Alex in his exercises...
and after a shower, and a quick snack...
I then take him to the University.


This is a gas station near the University.

I thought it was cute.

They weren't lying...
their gas prices are many pennies per gallon above where I get gas.



My spot.
This is where I sit every day while I wait for Alex's class to finish.


My views from MY spot  :)

The TV monitors are silent...
as is the normal atmosphere in the lounge.

It is very peaceful here.
Almost all of the students are in class  :)





The rest of the student lounge.


There's one...he was hiding  :)


I usually have a drink to sip as I read.

The tables are perfect to stretch out my legs on as I read in comfort.

I am almost finished with this book:  Abnormal Psychology.
Although I had taken a course on Ab Psy while I was at University...
it was almost 30 years ago. 

This is a newer and very abridged version of what I had originally read...
but there is a lot of updated information in it which I find very interesting.

As soon as I am done with this book...
I am off to read another one...
any of many which strikes my fancy :)
While Alex is in class...
I have a couple of pleasurable hours of reading
in the air conditioned comfort of the student lounge.

I have gone through many books...
with the knowledge that there are plenty more to be had
(a good book in a beautiful and comfortable setting
is one of the great simple pleasures in life).

To be in a cool, quiet, and comfortable setting to just have a 
good two solid uninterrupted hours of reading...
well... it is such a pleasure

(not that I couldn't get it at home...
but the surroundings in a University are just so conducive to learning...
I just feel the need to be learning something while I am there  :)






To then be greeted by my son with a suppressed smile on his face
as he comes to get me after his class
(which I immediately know to be his state of happiness as a result of 
his having done well on the previous day's quiz)...
and to have a nice talk with him about what he had learned on that day...
and about how well he is doing in his other classes...
and to then let the topic of conversation go to where it may
as we walk hand in hand through the idyllic University setting 
as we make our way back to the car...
and to then look forward to a delicious dinner and a nice relaxing evening...
each day has something to look forward to...
and the weekends even more so.

I know I stress this point so often in my articles...
but I also keep reinforcing it to Alex.

Life is lived correctly when it is on a positive spiral...
when every year gets better because of the fruits of the trees
of intelligently planned efforts come to constant and ever growing fruition...
which leads to more, and better, opportunities...
which then leads to even more planting of fruiting trees...
and so...having everything to look forward to.

Should a person not plant the fruiting trees of his future
(Delayed Gratification)...
but rather "enjoys" himself by neglecting his future...
and instead, seeks to "party"
(Hedonism)...
he will have nothing invested for his future...
and so...
the only thing he will have to look forward to is 
 day to day short term pleasures at the cost of his long term happiness.

This is living life on a negative spiral.

I know I harp on this...
but I am speaking to you as I do to my son, Alex.

If there is one key to life
(Deferred Gratification vs Hedonism)...
this is it.


Through this one common sense outlook...
everything in life comes together.

When you are on the right path in life...
every day...and every thing...
especially your outlook for the future...
is beautiful.

You live life full of joyous expectation of achieving your dreams...
you enjoy every day working toward your goals...
you get the rewards of past efforts as you continually plant future fruiting trees.

You live in a constant state of happiness...
and you may enjoy all of life's simple pleasures.

You live in a constant state of excitement...
as you plan for, and dream of, your future.

You have great peace of mind
 as you see the results of your labors come to fruition...
knowing that your future is secure.

You live in a constant state of great satisfaction
as you look back at your achievements...
and the state of your life...
all the while knowing that as you age...
life will continue to get sweeter.

Alex understands this so well.

This is why he not only strives for his future...
it is why he loves life so much on a daily basis.


By looking into the future...
you will truly enjoy life in the here and now...
and for the rest of your life...
as it will continually get better.



P.S. :  I fully know well that disaster strikes
(poor health, sudden death...etc)...
and may strike anyone at anytime.

This I do not take lightly.

I could end up with a horribly debilitating disease some day.
Disaster could strike in any number of forms...
and yet...
I will always know that I had at least been on the right path in life...
and I that I had stayed the course.

I would have no regrets as to how I had lived life while it was still good...
and I would then look at all of the options and decide...
always looking for the long term good over the short term pleasures.

I know I speak as someone who has never suffered...
one who takes life lightly and with the cavalier approach
of someone who has been pampered all his life.

Not only is this not true...
it does not matter even were it true.

Always remember...
the messenger is not important...
it is the message which is all important.


It is simple cause and effect.

To not do that which is reasonable (my explanation)...
because of irrationality (any excuse you could come up with to do otherwise  :)  ...
is to sabotage yourself...
and to waste that which we have so little of...
that of Time.

Even worse...
it is to waste that of which we only have one...
Life.









2 comments:

  1. Wonderful that Alex's first college experience is going so well. He is certainly on the positive spiral that you write about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is this positive spiral that is one of the most important concepts for all children to learn, and for all parents to inspire. There would be no drug, gang, drop out problems in our society were children to firmly grasp this concept.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...