Saturday, July 5, 2014

Alex's 4th Of July - Kite Flying / BBQ Chef / Night Saucer



Song:  Red Hill Mining Town

Group:  U2



We had received the large extra stable flying disc (L.E.D. night flyer)...
a better boomerang, and a much better set up for the Jai Alai skill set - Trac Ball...
I had ordered to replace the much lower quality items we had used last Saturday.

We had also received a kite I had ordered for Alex.

It is 8 feet in width and 4 feet in height...
made from rip stop nylon and fiberglass poles...
and I had gotten a ball bearing string winder 
with 1500' of 200 lb test dacron kite string.


When dealing with high pull weight...
it is never good to have string to string contact.

I had placed a split ring on the string from the kite rigging...
and then attached a fishing swivel to keep the kite string from twisting...
and I then attached the 200 lb test dacron line to the swivel.

I am amazed that all upscale kites do not have a similar set up already.

This is precisely the kind of simple engineering that would prevent so many 
problems down the line with just a little forethought...
and I know the designers of this kite have flown many a kite...
and I know they have had problems with one string eating through
the other as a result of friction and the resulting wear...
and with the kite string becoming twisted over time...
especially on kites which perform loops...
and it plain pisses me off that such an inexpensive solution which prevents such 
events from ever happening is not part of the package in the first place.

In the instructions...
they were also teaching the wrong kind of knot to use as a tie to the kite...
besides being wrong using string to string without an intervening apparatus
such as I had to put on.

This was from a company which specializes in upscale kites...
their whole business being kites!

How in the world can they not know their knots...
on top of having string to string on the place of highest tension and wear?

I know that many of my generation know what I am talking about.

We had spent many a day flying kites...
those we had purchased...
and those we had made by hand...
and those we had modified for different purposes
(don't tell me many of you had not made a bomber from your kite...
sending up objects on the string as you let it out...
and by plucking the string you make it fall on others from hundreds of feet above
(apple slices and such :)...or on the kite itself...
and through the maneuvers you put it through...
it releases its on board object...
or as a fighter for direct combat...
and yes...
this is how young boys normally think...
in terms of competition through make believe warfare with others
(sports anyone?).

It is a healthful endeavor which leads to a finely balanced male...
one who not only stands for justice and goodness...
but can...and will...act in accordance with it.

Ok...
sorry...
I got off on a tangent.

One rant leads to another with me  :)

Now...
back to the kite.

Don't get me wrong...
this is a nice kite...
and I will buy others from them in the future...
but you can bet I will include the above picture to them so they can start including
it on all of their kites in the future
(yeah...like it is going to happen  :)

I don't know how many times I have given simple solutions to manufacturers...
stores, city planners, restaurants...etc...
only to be ignored.

It simply drives me nuts when they do not listen to reason.

I know how so many employees simply don't care...
but to have such simple common sense improvements which 
are efficient and effective, financially viable, and most of all...
will prevent future mishaps...
to have them simply not think it through after my input...
well, all I can do is to submit the suggestion...
call them boneheads (in my mind) when they don't reply or change...
and then to use it as a lesson for Alex.

If I can not get some good out of such boneheadedness...
I will simply live my life in frustration...
and life is too short for that...
and so...
I rant.

I am joking...
I also try to correct and use it as a teaching point  :)


We then went to our favorite neighborhood park for a little test fly.

After our arrival...
I noticed power lines about 1/4 mile downwind.

I just had Alex let the kite out a couple hundred of feet to get the feel of it.




I then had him pull it down...
and we went back home and up the street to where the paved road ended...
and a dirt mountain trail started...
to once again, try the kite.



This kite was not so stable as I had hoped it to be.

It seemed to favor dipping to the right in high winds.

We pulled it back down for the day.
Alex and I will make some modifications to it before our next flight.

We went back home and prepared for Alex to start his first BBQ as the chef.



Alex prepared the grill...


 prepared the coals...


and then prepared the food.

He is placing the Salmon fillets in foil...
putting on salt and pepper...
and then wrapping each one so they will cook in their own juices.


Alex then cut up the smoked sausages...


and then put them on the grill.




Alex and I had waited outside...
as sausages cook quickly.

We had to be sure to not over cook them...
as I have done so many times in the past  :)


 We then went inside to eat the sausages while the salmon finished cooking.



Alex loved the sausages
(He had two sausage dogs...
and two salmon sandwiches).



We then went outside to retrieve the salmon.



Alex plated the foiled salmon...


and we then feasted upon them 
in sourdough sandwich rolls.


Alex said everything was so delicious.


We then shared an apple pie.


A little after our meal...
Alex and I went into the backyard to throw the Night Saucer.


Alex had thrown this while I was taking a picture.
This shot actually flew just near the top of my head.

I felt my hair being slightly pulled as it went though it
without touching my head.






This disc simply wants to fly true.
It is very stable and easy to throw.

What a lot of fun we will have in the future when we throw it for long distances
at the park at night!

It is also perfect for daytime throwing.

Alex loves BBQs...
at least until tomorrow...
when I show him how to clean the grill  :)







2 comments:

  1. Looks like Alex did a fine job with his first BBQ. I think he's ready to take over as the regular BBQ chef! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He enjoyed making the meal. He will be our chef for all future BBQs. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...