Saturday, July 12, 2014

Alex Completes His University Statistics Class - A Sure 'A'



Song:  Gonna Fly Now

Composer:  Bill Conti




Alex after he had completed his final exam...
and all of the other students had left the classroom.

Alex with his teacher...
Professor Bradford.

Alex said he really enjoyed his Statistics class...
and that his professor had done an excellent job explaining everything.

Alex had done so well with the whole class.

Although the official grades are not in yet...
Alex calculated that he had easily gotten an 'A' in the course.


--------------

Addendum: July 14th - Alex got his official grade for this course - he got an 'A'. 




---------------


It is not only Math that Alex is prepared for.

Mr. Johnson...
his seventh grade History teacher at Coral Academy of Science...
had taught his students how to write university level research papers.

His underlying philosophy of teaching at Coral Academy of Science
was that as it is a college preparatory school...
each student had to learn how to write as a university student 
would be expected to write.

He didn't merely demand a standard...
he walked his students through how to write a proper research paper.

What a great attitude for a teacher to have...
and what an exceptional teacher Mr. Johnson is.

Alex now knows that he can handle the demands of being a student at a university.


(I will be showing Alex the movie 'Rocky' tomorrow night.
After his 'Rocky' pose here...
I realized I had to show him what a 'Rocky' pose is  :)

The book he is holding is actually mine.
I just had him hold it while I took a few photos...
I then had him put it in his backpack.

I decided that I would take pictures of the places which Alex and I had gone
while he was attending the University.

His Statistics class was a full semester of material...
in five weeks...and so it was accelerated to fit in the Summer session.

This was Alex's first university course...
and he came through like a champ!
He had earned an 'A'.

I had Alex pose in a style depicting his victory...
Rocky style.

Alex simply had a great time learning here.

He loves the University setting...
and he especially loved the seriousness and maturity of the students...
as well as the pace of the class
(Alex gets bored if classes move too slowly for him).

Alex said that it was all learning...without any wasted time.

Alex is looking forward to attending University full time in the future.


I put the camera to my eye and said...
"Ahchan...do Rocky!"


After showing him the 'Rocky' pose...
from then on, I just had to say...
"Rocky!".





Alex's class had taken place in the Business building.




The on-campus garage where we always parked.


(Jumping 'Rocky'  :)

In the background is the building where the library is located...
and our last view of the University as we enter the garage.


After going home for a short while...
I then took Alex to one of the large sports stores in town.

I told him that as he had finished a course at a university...
and so, had fulfilled the actions of an adult...
that he would be given a gift appropriate for an adult.

I took Alex to the gun section so I could purchase his first real firearm.

I bought him a Marlin 795.

(Picture from Google Images)

It is a semi-auto rifle in .22 (long rifle) caliber.

It is inherently one of the most accurate...
and one of the most reliable .22 caliber semi-autos
(non tricked out...and not a specially accurized version of a standard model).

This will be his initial gun for marksmanship practice.

It comes standard with a 10 round magazine...
but I will be buying him some 25 round magazines also.

(Picture from Google Images)

Before I finish outfitting his rifle...
I will add a bipod...
and a scope (after I have him master the 'iron sights').

I will be taking him out for distance shooting soon
(In training, you learn to master your mind through the body...
 you may then master the body through a trained mind).

There are many places where we may shoot with no one around.

They have some pistol, shotgun, and rifle ranges...
and many, many places just a short drive away where we may 
just go out and set up our own targets and shoot as many rounds as we like...
in the middle of nowhere.

We may set up an impromtu gun range almost anywhere we desire...
so long as we are not in city limits...
near any housing areas (Nevada has tons of open space)...
or specifically designated no shooting areas
 (usually near power grid support buildings and such)...
and are operating in a safe manner.

I already have a shotgun for him...
but I will give it to him at a later time.

First will be the long gun (rifle)...
then the handgun...
and then the shotgun.

These are the basic three which everyone should master.

I, of course, will be teaching Alex gun safety, gun laws, and gun maintenance...
as well as gun accuracy (the true meaning of 'gun control' :).

I had taught him some of the basics with a bb gun a couple of years ago...
and in the below link to a previous article...
I explain the rationale for being proficient in firearms.


For those who would think that I am somehow deficient 
in experience to teach firearms to my son...
you would be very wrong.

While I was in the Army many years ago...
I had qualified expert on all light weapons (man portable)...
from the 45 semi auto pistol...through man carried anti armor missiles
(which includes everything in-between...such as rifles, 40mm grenade launchers...etc).

I have fired many thousands of rounds through a wide variety of firearms
(including familiarization with some other countries' weapons)...
day and night shooting, and under differing environmental conditions.

In my previous profession (I am now retired)...
I had also often carried a sidearm (sometimes a shotgun also) as part of my duties...
and we regularly qualified with them.

I have also shot on my own.

I know gun safety...
gun laws...
gun security (locked away when not used)...
gun maintenance...
and gun accuracy.

Were I not knowledgeable in these areas...
I would get myself trained...
as well as having Alex professionally trained.


We were almost at the sports store when I had seen the sun setting
(I pulled off the road and took these shots).

It was just so appropriate to have such a blazing sunset
on the day that Alex had completed his first University course.





This blazing sunset is so appropriate because Alex has the burning desire
to learn and to perform well...
and he regularly proves it.


We are going inside the sports store.



This is the largest sports store in Reno.

All sports...
and nothing but sports...
I love it  :)



A whole large section of the store is dedicated to guns of all types and calibers.




They have a wide variety of extreme long range rifles here...
including calibers in .308, .338 Lapua, .416, and even a .50 caliber Barrett.


We stopped in at the 22 LR section for Alex's rifle.


We then went out to eat a victory dinner at the Outback in honor of Alex.

We started out with coconut shrimp appetizers.


We then got our favorite...
BBQ Baby Back Ribs.


 We had eaten our fill...
and with full bellies...
we then just relaxed for the rest of the night at home.

Alex is now sleeping well in his bed...
not only because he knows what a great job he had done...
but because he knows that his study habits are valid...
and so, he knows that he can succeed at the advanced pace of a University.




2 comments:

  1. Haha, it is wonderful to see Alex so joyously doing the Rocky pose at all of the places where he so obviously enjoyed his first university experience. Congrats to him on completing his first college course so masterfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Alex is so proud of his accomplishment. This was such a great start for him. He will always remember his first university class.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...