Monday, June 9, 2014

Alex In California Visiting His Grandmother - Summer 2014



Song:  Sloop John B

Group:  Beach Boys



My mother is 74 years old.
She has led a healthful life...
so she still enjoys many of life's simple pleasures.

As Alex had just graduated from his middle school a week before he was to 
start his Probabilities and Statisics course at the University the following week...
Alex and I wanted to visit my relatives in California before he
 got deep into his studies again.

We took two days to relax and visit with my mother and my two sisters.


We all met up on the pier at Santa Cruz...
to enjoy the ocean...and a nice dinner.


Some local street entertainment on the pier.



My younger sister with her Granddaughter.


Although it was cloudy and slightly windy...
we still had a good time just enjoying the sea air.


The Boardwalk in the background.


Although it is a Friday evening here...
it is not crowded.

I remember I used to come here as a very young child with my family...
and we would fish off the pier
(before there were many restaurants on the pier).

Later, while at University...
I would often go to the very end of the pier in the middle of the night
to enjoy the solitude, the fog, and the smell of the sea.




My elder sister and her husband.
My elder sister had broken her ankle during a walking misstep.


We went to our old Santa Cruz Pier favorite restaurant...
Fire Fish.

It had nice ocean views...
as well as views of sailboats as they passed by.




Alex, my mother, my younger sister, and I had all ordered the 
Grilled Seafood Brochette.


The next day...
late at night...
Alex and I departed for home.


For our dinner on the night of departure...
we had chosen a Mexican restaurant.


Alex had sliced pork.

After our dinner...
while relaxing at my mothers house...and over coffee...
my younger sister, my mother, and I had a great discussion on 
the nature of right and wrong, good and evil, great philosophers...
and the effect of critical reasoning on society
(my younger sister was trying to stifle a smile during parts of our discussion...
as I get very animated when I talk...especially so when I drink coffee  :)

It was near 11 PM when Alex and I left my mother's house.

We got home at around 2:30 AM and Alex then showered and went to bed.

Later that day (Sunday)...
after his daily studies...
he just relaxed.

On the next day...
he would be entering his first University class.

As I am writing this article...
it is actually Monday...
and Alex and I have just returned from the University.

Alex had a good time in his first class...
but more on this in the next article.









2 comments:

  1. I'm sure your mother and sisters enjoyed seeing you both, and good for Alex to get away and spend time with his family. I'm sure you loved being near the ocean again. Santa Cruz looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good for all of us to see each other once again. Santa Cruz is always a pleasure to visit. Alexs is already back in study mode...however, that is where he feels most comfortable :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...