Sunday, June 29, 2014

Alex Biking The Truckee River Trail - June 2014



Song:  A Simple Life

Artist:  Brian Crain





We live in the Northwestern mountains of Reno.

 The Sierra Nevada mountain range...
and the Nevada / California border...
are but a 10 - 15 minute drive from home.

Lake Tahoe is only 1 hour or so away.

It makes for a very easy and scenic drive...
a perfect start for a nice day trip.


Today...
 Alex and I went biking on the Truckee River Trail
(It is strictly for hiking or biking...no motorized vehicles).

The Truckee River headwaters lies at the Northwestern portion of Lake Tahoe...
and flows through Reno...and on to Pyramid Lake.

The last time we were here...
there were many forest fires burning in California...
and the air here was filled with a light smoke...
which had cut down on visibility.

Today, the air was clear.


It took us less than an hour to get to our starting point of the trail.

We started at the middle red marker...
then headed North to the left most marker...
and then headed back towards the middle marker.

My bike chain had actually snapped shortly after we had gotten to the turnaround point.
I had to "Flintstone it" back to the car 
(Using one foot on the ground to push me forward as I coasted on the bike).

Although Alex was a little disappointed that we had to go slower
than we had planned...we simply took advantage of the slower pace
and made many stops along the river (my hamstrings were starting to kill me  :)

At the conclusion of our ride...
we went to our old favorite Truckee River restaurant
(The right most red dot).




You can see the bike trail in this picture.





There were a number of rafters on the river.
The temperature was in the mid to high 80s...
however, there was almost always a cool breeze blowing.

This was our turn around point.

Within a short while...
my chain would snap during a downshift.

Perhaps I should stop all of my wheelies and rock hopping...
I am joking.  A link had simply given way  :)









The trail has plenty of shady spots along the route.






I know...
with all of this shade...
I still managed to get sunlight in the lens  :)







This is one of the spots of which we had stopped and rested.
Alex and I wet down our heads...and drank plenty of water...
and then just cooled ourselves in the shade for a few minutes.









This was our last rest stop before packing up the bikes
and driving to the restaurant (The Bridgetender).



The restaurant is next to the Truckee River...
just a couple of hundred yards from the actual head waters.


A waiter is greeting us as we enter the restaurant.

Although I am an introvert...
an occasional extrovert can really brighten the atmosphere with his antics  :)




We had originally been seated at this table...
however, the sun soon tracked far enough to leave us with little shade...
so we then moved to a fully shaded table.



Our view from the new table.


I had tried their BBQ Bison Burger.
I have always wanted to try Bison...
as I had never had it before.

Although it was a very good burger...
with the BBQ sauce and other condiments on it...
I really couldn't tell the difference between Bison and Beef.

They also sell Elk Burgers.
Perhaps next time.


A Bison 

Bison used to be the prime source of sustenance for the 
American Plains Indians a long time ago.


Alex had ordered one of his favorites...
BBQ Baby Back Ribs.

After we had eaten our fill...
we had a nice comfortable ride home.

Although I had gotten far more exercise than had Alex
(due to my unplanned Flintstone method of biking)...
Alex got to re-experience the Truckee River Trail.

We may return in a month or so.

My elder sister is thinking of visiting us next month.
She had expressed a desire to bike this route with us...
as she had really liked the photos of our last trip here.





2 comments:

  1. I think I would want to bike this trail all the time if I lived out there... so beautiful. And how nice that you have such a great restaurant to go to afterward.

    Sorry you had to Flintstone your way back. At least it didn't seem too hilly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is one of our favorite trails. It is mostly flat, with the Lake Tahoe side being slightly higher (and so the water flows gently from it). We will be going back more often in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...