Monday, June 2, 2014

Alex At The 2014 ARML Nationals - II



Song:  The Final Countdown

Orchestra:  The London Symphony Orchestra



We had awakened early in the morning and had breakfast at the hotel.

Alex had Lox and a bagel.


By coincidence...
the top individual winner in the nation in Mathcounts had sat down next to us (pink shirt).


We had also seen two of his Mathcounts team members from the Nationals there.

This year...
there were two teams from Nevada at the ARML competitions.

Alex had quickly said hello to them.

Alex had also seen one of the members of his former team from 
the Berkeley Math Tournament there at the ARML tournament.


Alex's team had a quick meeting.





The teams then had to sit in their designated areas.





The founder and leader of the Northern Nevada Math Club...
Sherry Griffin.



Some of the best High School teams in the world are here in this room...
and prepared for the final phase of the individual and team testing.











 The 2014 Northern Nevada Math Club Team...
at the 2014 ARML Nationals.

Alex loves being with other children who love math.


A few hours after this...
they had made announcements of the team and individual placements.

However, half of the team had to take early flights back in order to make 
other engagements in Reno.

Some had their High School graduations scheduled for the same evening.

My wife was feeling ill...
and so, she had stayed at the hotel.

I, also, was not feeling well.

I helped take some of the team members to the airport...
and we then went back to the hotel.

We will have the results of the competition in a few weeks.


 I had a very bad headache...
to the point of nausea.

I have no idea why the pain was so extreme...
but I had to take a dose of pain medication...
lie down for quite a few hours...
and then take another dose before I could get up to eat a very late lunch.


I would have to really be ill to miss having a late lunch at such a restaurant.

I loved their food.


My wife and I had bento box lunches.



Alex had Seafood Udon...
and Grilled Salmon.


I always ordered grilled Shishito (peppers) as an accompanying side dish...
with every meal.


My wife had Fried Oysters for an appetizer
(one of which Alex had tried...and loved).


I had a vegetarian pizza for an appetizer.


Alex's Seafood Udon...


and Grilled Miso Salmon appetizer.



Alex and I had shared a dessert of Creme Brûlée.


The woven top was made of a honey and sugar mixture.


After our meal...
we had decided to skip the planned Las Vegas show we were going to see...
and instead...just relax in the hotel.

We were planning on sleeping in the hotel one more night...
but after my extreme headache...
I was worn out...
and I had feared another episode...
so we planned on sleeping until midnight...and then departing.

Alex wasn't so excited about going out to see a show...
my wife was also still feeling out of sorts...
so rest we did.

We departed after midnight...
and drove back to Reno...
back to where it was cool...
and to the comfort of our home.

Alex and my wife slept in the car for most of the way home.

While my wife and I almost immediately went to sleep 
upon reaching home at approximately 9 AM...
Alex stayed up to study for his last final on Monday at school (Science).

Alex will be graduating Middle School in a couple of days.

I, of course, shall be taking many photos of this event.

Alex had another good experience at the ARML competition...
and he is looking forward to next year.

He is always looking to improve his understanding of math...
and he loves competitions to see how well he stands against 
his previous scores.

These competitions provide the means for
assessing his abilities...
and for mostly...
providing incentive to keep improving.

Alex is going to concentrate on improving his scores 
in next school year's AMC 10 and 12 competitions...
and hopefully entering the Stanford and Berkeley math tournaments...
and improving even more for next year's ARML tournament.

Alex always gets excited about his future...
because he knows with daily study...
he will see constant improvement.

This is what excites me the most.

With this one realization...
he has the key to fulfilling his dreams.











2 comments:

  1. Sorry that you and your wife were not feeling well on this trip. It's not pleasant to be ill away from home. Sounds like it was another good experience for Alex, though. And the food at Zenshin looked very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a bit of a headache. I have no idea what it was, but I am glad it seems to be waning. I wish we had such a restaurant here. It is mostly just Sushi in these Japanese restaurants.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...