Saturday, May 3, 2014

A New Educational Possibility For Summer / New Food For Alex



Song:  Cool Change

Group:  Little River Band



A picture of a portion of the University of Nevada Reno
(Google Images)

My wife had initially researched just the mountain college for an advanced 
math class for Alex to attend for this summer session
(Alex couldn't do it due to scheduling conflicts).

Just recently she decided to research UNR for available classes.

She had found a class which Alex may be able to attend.

I went to Admissions and Records with Alex's recent ACT scores and
I had talked with one of the recruiters for the University about Alex.

There is one class in particular which Alex may take 
with the permission of one of the Math Professors:
Probabilities and Statistics.


There is one major obstacle.

Official Prerequisites.  

Although Alex had taken, and done well with Calculus I and II...
it was when we were home schooling him in addition to his regular school
last year (7th grade).

It was not officially taken at a school with transcripts.



There is also one minor one.

His age.

He is 13 years old.
This will be a daily summer course in the late evening hours.

However, I would be taking him...
walking him to his class...
waiting there for his class to end...
and I would walk him back to the car.



Now for some points in favor of Alex:

He had a perfect score for the Math portion of his ACT...
and his composite score placed him in the top 1% in the nation
for all college bound seniors.

He actually had taken Calculus, just not officially.

He is getting an A in Trigonometry at his school.

He is presently taking a College level Linear Algebra class at home 
(on line...as part of our home schooling in addition to his regular school).



The recruiter was very helpful.
He also said that next year, with some cooperation with his present school...
Alex may be able to attend during the regular school year for up to two classes...
and get dual credit...so long as there are no scheduling conflicts.

I had emailed the Math Professor earlier today with my request for a meeting
to discuss the summer possibility.

Hopefully I will get an answer back some time next week.

Alex is excited at the prospect of attending the University this summer.

If not...
well, we have other contingencies lined up...
but they won't be nearly so exciting for Alex
(on line college level courses).

To be able to take classes with University students...
would be, both, a great opportunity, and a great thrill for him.


Earlier this night...
we all went out to our favorite Indian restaurant...
India Kabab and Curry.

A minor victory...
I got Alex to try two new items of food today.


Alex is very cautious of new tastes
(as part of his condition...
he is hyper sensitive to certain stimuli).

He will not eat certain foods...
and he is very reluctant to try new ones.

He will sit there and inspect the food...
smell it...
barely touch the food to his lips...
and then, with great effort...
he will try it...
sometimes :)

Earlier this night...
Alex tried a Vegetable Samosa
(a very small bite...pictured above)...
and another dish I had forgotten the name of
(pictured below).


After eating a bite of my dish...
Alex smiled and said that he had liked it  :)

I had this dish and the Chicken Tikka...
along with plenty of very good Naan
(their's is the best).

They normally serve Naan with all of their dishes...
however, for this particular one...
they had put on a toasted hamburger bun.

I had actually gotten some strange looks from the staff when 
I made a sandwich from this dish.

Somehow I don't think that is what I was supposed to have done  :)

I did, however, eat the Naan with the chicken...
in a normal fashion :)


Alex liked his dish the most...
his old favorite...
Salmon Tikka.


My wife likes her vegetarian dishes.


We finished off with some dessert.

Alex and I had the Kulfi.
It is a very rich and flavorful ice cream.

Of all the ice creams I have ever had...
I must say that this is one of my favorites.

They make it there at the restaurant.
This Kulfi had a home made flavor and texture...
which made it taste all the better.

My wife had the rice pudding.

According to my wife...
this restaurant also has some of the best rice pudding she has ever had.

It is funny...
Alex has never had an aversion to any dessert :)


Well...
we are making progress with some changes for Alex...
one small bite at a time  :)









2 comments:

  1. Alex clearly has the math background for the University; I hope they recognize that and don't hold him to their official prerequisites.

    A nice little triumph to have Alex try a new dish. Perhaps he will be a bit more open to trying more dishes in the future. Good that he has such a healthy diet anyway, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping for good news from them soon. I cannot think of a valid reason for them not to allow him to attend that a simple test of Alex by the professor could not solve. Alex still tries new things cautiously, however, he is more open to change since he has ultimately liked many of the items he has tried.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...