Thursday, December 5, 2013

Development Of Common Sense III / 11 Pieces Of Wisdom Of Bill Gates - Part 9



Song:  Fearless

Artist:  Petteri Sainio




This is the ninth article on Bill Gates' 11 rules for school children.


Bill Gates'....


Rule #9 - Life is not divided into semesters.  You don't get summers off...
 and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF.
Do that on your own time.




My perspective:




What employers wish for is to have an employee who
will be the most advantageous to their organization as a whole...
without bearing ill will or creating a disadvantageous situation
which would negatively affect the organization.

In order for an employee to be able to do this...
he must be there in heart and mind...
and he must be able to produce long term positive net results.


There is an implied vow of loyalty...
from employer to employee...
and from employee to employer.

The employer invests its time and money into training the employee.
In return...the employee gives of his time and effort.

Someone who has proven himself to the company over the years...
deserves extra perks for his continued loyalty over that of the new employee.

It is usually given in a form of step pay
and seniority status...
which may include 
priority in vacation time allocation...
or even a reverse seniority prioritized layoff protection policy
(if a layoff is to occur...the ones who are least senior get laid off first).

Expect to have fewer perks as a new employee...even revel in it.
It means that there is something to look forward to
should you decide to stay at that company.
It means they value...and reward...loyalty.


What an employer has a right to expect from its employees
is someone who is planning to stay for the long term...
someone who is mature, and someone who will be there
in mind as well as in body...and who will perform.


Should you feel you cannot give them this while you are at work...
then perhaps you should take some time to travel...
to find yourself, before getting a permanent job.

A perfect time is often right after University...
so long as you hadn't been recruited before hand.


In most jobs...
while you may take yearly vacations...
if exploring another country for many months at a time
is your deepest desire...unless you do it before you start working...
it won't be until retirement when you may, once again, do so.


The point is...
to know yourself...
and what you want to do...
before getting hired in a company.

If you are unhappy...
it will show in your attitude...
and in your performance.


I had done this very thing...twice.

I was 17 years old...
and just two weeks out of High School.

I knew I wasn't mature enough to devote myself to further study at that time.

I took the next 4 years to travel the Pacific...
and to "find myself" through the adventure and rigorous training of the Army.

Once I got out...
I was ready to enter University.

However...
as I had a mission in my mind...
and wanderlust in my heart...
after graduating University...
I went back to Japan for almost a year.

When I returned...
I was ready to enter the job market.

It was something I do not regret.
Those breaks helped me mature...
and to be able to work happily.

I've had a great time throughout life
because I had lived out my boyhood fantasies...
to live a life of exploration and adventure...
to get to know my capabilities...
and to then be able to focus on building my future.

I fully retired (2.5 years ago) at the age of 51...
because I balanced my personal needs with that of reality.

I am now living a life filled with adventure...
many rich memories and appreciation for life...
and most of all... my great love of my son.

I was able to achieve this balance because
I had planned it early on...and I had stuck to the plan.

If finding yourself is important...
you must lay out your life plan...
and achieve it while still young.

Once you enter the job market...
it is risky...and usually difficult...
to stop part way through to "find yourself"...
and then attempt to reenter the job market.

Also remember...
the longer you wait...
the longer you will have to work...
and the older you will be before retirement.

If you constantly switch jobs...
you, in most cases, are not building a retirement.

Don't allow yourself to think that you would never wish to retire...
that you will love your job forever.

Retirement does NOT mean you have to nothing...
it means you may do whatever you wish...
whenever you wish to do it...
including NOT retiring if you so wish.

When it is up to you to work because you wish to...
and not because you have to...
 your time at work will become all the sweeter.

To accomplish this takes self knowledge...
foresight through forethought...
and sticking to your plan...
so you will never have any regrets.


Always remember...
dying well only comes from having lived well...
and it is this dream that is universal.























No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...