Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Alex's New Extra Credit Opportunity - Create A 50,000 Word Novel...In Three Weeks



Song:  One Man's Dream

Artist:  Yanni




A picture of Alex a few years ago in our old California home.

This is where Alex would type out his stories, and where he would do his 
advanced studies on the computer.



Alex in our present home in Nevada.

Alex still likes to put his legs under his shirt as he types.


Yesterday, on the drive home from his school...
Alex told me of a new extra credit opportunity in his English class.

He has to create a minimum 50,000 word novel...
which shall be due in three weeks.

Now, normally I wouldn't worry about such an undertaking by Alex...
however, he has some major examinations coming up next week...
he also has to complete his Science Project...
along with all of his other regular assignments...
and his normal advanced work.

Alex said that he had learned of it today...
and during some free time at school...
he had already outlined the story...
and had typed the first 2,500 words of his novel.
(he normally has one hour a day of Library / Computer time...
today, he had two hours).

I stressed that as it is an extra credit opportunity...
all of his other studies must come first.

Alex agreed.
He said that he will just do it during his daily free time.

Before the end of the night yesterday...
Alex added another 2,500 words to his novel.

Now...
although Alex has written many a story...
they were usually no longer than 5 pages.

This will be Alex's first attempt at a novel...
of which will turn out to be approximately 200 pages in length.

Since this is extra credit...
I won't look at it until he is finished.

I would very much like to see what he comes up with.

This is one of Alex's favorite hobbies...
he loves to create instructional documents...and short stories.

For his first day...
to have completed the outline and 10% of the novel already...
could be a good thing...it, of course, depends on the quality  :)

I will just have to wait a few weeks from now.

Hopefully, he won't experience writer's block.

However, I doubt it.

He told me the basic premise of his story.
He has so many avenues he could explore to develop his story.

Since three weeks is so little time to fully develop the story...
much less type it out...
especially when he will have so little time to work on it on a daily basis
(except the weekends...when he has much more free time)...
I will look at his story as a great exercise in creative writing...
something of which Alex could be proud of as a first effort.

I love the way my son, Alex, thinks.
I love the purity of his heart...
his optimistic and very giving nature...
his inherent love of justice...
his strong moral compass...
his deep sense of compassion...
and especially, his sense of vision and conviction.

I am certain there will be some components of his personal attributes in his story.

I am looking forward to seeing the first of which...
I am quite sure, many more efforts in creative writing...shall spring. 











2 comments:

  1. My oldest nephew did this (write a novel during the month of November) a few years ago. He was a few years older than Alex is now. It was very challenging, and he was putting in some late nights toward the end of the month. I am impressed that Alex wants to attempt this. That he has made so much progress already is fantastic. But I imagine that writing a 50,000 word novel is kind of like running a marathon... you've got to be prepared for the long haul. 200 pages is a LOT of writing, and for someone who has never written anything nearly so long, it will probably be an eye opener to see how long it really is. But I also know that Alex has the drive to do it. Just have to make sure it doesn't interfere with his more important work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised at how much Alex has already written. He has also done some research on-line on this sort of writing. I, too, admire his drive to always wish to improve himself by taking on challenges. We always have to monitor Alex to make sure he doesn't take on too much at one time. However, as a parent, it also makes me happy that he wishes to.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...