Saturday, November 16, 2013

Alex Turns 13 Yrs. Old - Future And Past



Song:  Silent Lucidity

Group:  Queensryche



Alex is now 13 yrs. old.

Over the past two days...
he had been taking a special academic examination...
the results of which...may have a major impact on his future.

It had started yesterday evening for 1.5 hours...
and continued this morning for another 6.5 hours.

He seems confident that he had done well.

We know that he had.
However, exactly how well...
we won't know for another few weeks.


Afterwards...
we took Alex out to the Apple store to get him his birthday present...
his first phone...an iPhone 5C.

Since our phones were outdated...
we just got one for each of us.



For me...
it is a matter of safety for Alex to have his own phone.

We will set them up so we may be able to track the phone...
and so, him, in case of an emergency.

I will also armorize my phone for when we go into the mountains.

I will take my phone on our outings...
with a g-resistant and waterproof case
(bonehead proofing).


Afterwards...
Alex picked the teppanyaki restaurant we had gone to previously...
for this...his birthday dinner.


Alex using his new iPhone at the restaurant.


He then switched to his iPad for a while.



I love it when they fire up the grill  :)


This chef was quite the showman!

Alex loved watching the chef go through his routine.

This chef also added sound effects...
one of which was Curly (from The Three Stooges)...
as he wriggled one of the shrimp tails  :)






Another onion volcano turns into a choo-choo.


The chef preparing our meals.


My wife just felt like Sushi.


Alex had taken the Lobster Tail / Scallops / Shrimp plate.


I had the same plate as last time...
the Filet Mignon and Shrimp platter.


Alex LOVED his meal.
He kept remarking how delicious everything had tasted.

I must say...
I had never tasted meat, or shrimp, so delicious as were these.

Their seasoning and preparation makes everything just so...soul satisfying.


Alex got the Green Tea Cheese Cake...
and a scoop of chocolate ice cream.


Alex and I played around with our phones for a while after dinner.



Alex is now officially a teenager.

Alex's Birthday, for him, is a step towards his future.
Alex's Birthday, for me, is a reminder of his past.













It was a time of pain for us...
when Alex sometimes rocked and held his hands to his ears...
screaming as if being tortured by an invisible assailant.
It was a time of an unsure future...
and a time of deep dread and fears.

His diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder at 2.5 years old...
his compulsions and inability to speak...
within 1 year...
through 35-40 hours a week of in home ABA therapy...
and a Mother's unceasing love and attentiveness...
led to dramatic improvement...
whereupon he awakened to a life of speech...
and freedom from the compulsions of his inner mind...
never again to...flap his hands, line up objects endlessly, or to rock and scream...
as he held his ears.



This, for me...
is the song of Alex.


"Silent Lucidity"
Queensryche

(the above posted song)


Hush now, don't you cry
Wipe away the teardrop from your eye
You're lying safe in bed
It was all a bad dream
Spinning in your head
Your mind tricked you to feel the pain
Of someone close to you leaving the game of life
So here it is, another chance
Wide awake you face the day
Your dream is over... or has it just begun?

There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Commanding in another world
Suddenly you hear and see
This magic new dimension

I- will be watching over you
I- am gonna help you see it through
I- will protect you in the night
I- am smiling next to you, in Silent Lucidity

[spoken during solo]
(Visualize your dream)
(Record it in the present tense)
(Put it into a permanent form)
(If you persist in your efforts)
(You can achieve dream control)
(Dream control)
(How are we feeling today, better??)
(Dream control, dream control, dream control)
(Help me)

If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you built within
Come tumbling down, and a new world will begin
Living twice at once you learn
You're safe from pain in the dream domain
A soul set free to fly
A round trip journey in your head
Master of illusion, can you realize
Your dream's alive, you can be the guide but...

I- will be watching over you
I- am gonna help to see it through
I- will protect you in the night
I- am smiling next to you....




Alex spreading his wings...
a soul set free to fly.



Our son, Alex...
everything he was...
led to everything he is...
and everything he shall be.

He is the greatest love of our lives.
We wouldn't change a thing.




I am your Father
(Mother - as applied to my wife)...
I am your sacred guide...


I- will be watching over you
I- am gonna help to see it through
I- will protect you in the night
I- am smiling next to you....


as I see you soar...
on your way to achieving your dreams.
















2 comments:

  1. I'm sure it must be a little hard to believe how fast time has gone and to realize that Alex is a teenager. Birthdays are always a great time to look back... Alex has come a long way thanks to you, your wife, and everyone who helped with his therapy.

    That teppanyaki looks awesome! It must have been great for Alex to choose it as his birthday dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...the great improvement he has achieved was through a combined effort of exceptional professionals, and my wife and I, all of whom worked together. The key was to making the correct path the most desirable path to take for Alex. He learned to love learning...and excelling.

    That Teppanyaki place is fantastic. It is now our restaurant for special occasions...or for when no other meal will satisfy our craving for exceptional Seafood or Filet Mignon.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...