Sunday, November 10, 2013

A New Car For Us - Alex's Future Car



Song:  In Your Wildest Dreams

Group:  The Moody Blues




Alex saying goodbye to our old minivan...


and saying hello to our new mini - SUV.

It is a 2014 KIA Sorento EX AWD.

We opted out of the 7 passenger option.
We had, instead, gotten the 5 passenger option...
as we have no need for the extra 2 seats all the way in the rear...
and it has much more rear storage space...
as well as a sub floor storage area in the rear
(this way we can carry a complete Bug Out Bag at all times  :)

We needed the full time All Wheel Drive to drive more safely in the winters in Reno...
and in the surrounding mountains
(it also has a one button push, locking differential, full time 4 wheel drive.
The main difference, and when to apply it...I must still research.
If I ever manage to, once again, get myself stuck...especially driving this...
you would then know how much of a complete bonehead I would have to have been!  :)

It has an advanced V-6 and a highway overdrive gear (6 Speed)...
which makes this car more responsive in emergencies, and under all conditions
(higher horsepower to weight ratio)...
and more economical, in all conditions, than was the minivan.


A picture of the Sorento from the KIA website.

Plus...
the major reason I got the Sorento...
it is top rated...safety wise (5 star rating).


All of these are Standard in all Sorento models.



As you can see from this picture from a KIA website...
it has complete all around airbag protection...
plus reinforced anti intrusion side beams and crossbars.

The seat belts react by tightening down...
and the headrests move forward and lock, when the car senses an impending collision
(accelerometer in the vehicle).


Also, when you fully recline the seats...
and the engine is off...
a pillow inflates from the headrest, so you may nap comfortably...
ok...I am joking about this one  :)


This car is the one Alex will learn to drive in...
and eventually drive himself around in.

I wanted something just this side of a tank for him...safety wise...
both, as a passenger until he starts to drive...
and certainly something I can feel is as safe as possible for him 
when he starts to drive in a few years.

And, as you can see from the picture...
Alex riding in the front passenger seat...
will be the safest place for him.

I feel better already  :)


Alex getting the driver's perspective of our new car.


It has a rear camera and zone warning system for backing into tight spaces...
and so many other functions...
I will be spending the rest of tonight reading the owner's manual 
trying to figure out how to operate them.

Another thing I like is the fuel computer.
It gives me up to date MPG...
and miles left to tank empty...
both of which change depending on the conditions and usage.

My wife likes the warmers built into the front seats.
I tried them out on our drive from the lot.
There are three heat settings.
They warm up quickly...and actually get uncomfortably hot...for me...
on the highest setting.  I had to ratchet the heat down, as my butt and back
had gotten too warm.  Alex liked the warmers...as I am sure...
my wife also shall.

Although the gas tank on this car is slightly smaller than was the minivan's...
it gets much better gas milage...especially on the highway.

I will be able to travel much farther on a tank of gas.

And oh...have I already mentioned...
in far greater safety  :)




Alex waited patiently as we completed the paperwork.

He used his time wisely by working on his novel.
Although he will have to retype what he is typing here...
he types very quickly...and so, he may progress his story...wherever he goes...
with very little trouble transferring his on the road chapters... 
to his saved novel on his laptop at home.


After driving from the car lot...
we went out to celebrate at one of our favorite Sushi restaurants.


The main reason I had gotten this car now...
rather than later?

Yesterday, I had taken in our minivan because I had heard a rubbing noise
coming from the front right quarter of the car.

As the sound matched the rotation of the wheel...
I thought that it may have been the wheel bearing.

Sure enough...
it was not only the wheel bearing structure which had failed...
one of the bearings had welded itself to the inner support structure.

We weren't too far off from having the whole wheel bearing seize.

Having one tire seize at speed...
well...it could have been disastrous.

When I went to pay for the repair...
and I saw the report...
I immediately knew the danger we had been in.

I paid for the repair...
and went straight to a salesman.

Although the minivan was great for 10 years...
it was time to upgrade...
just for safety's sake.

With one of the bearings already having failed...
I couldn't risk anything else failing in our future.

We really need All Wheel Drive in our area anyway.

We can now travel the mountains in far greater safety...
and with far greater peace of mind.

And, as this will eventually become Alex's car...
safety is my prime concern for him.

As the price is comparable to many mid sized sedans...
but with the Sorento being built much more robustly...
it will be able to keep its occupants much more safe in an accident...
and with its All Wheel Drive / Traction Control / 4 wheel disc brakes 
Stability Control / Tire Pressure monitors....etc...
it will keep you out of trouble in the first place.

This decision was, for me, a no brainer.

As I have always stressed...
as a father...
safety must always be...
number one.













2 comments:

  1. Very exciting to get a new car. I think you will definitely feel more secure knowing you have all wheel drive when you are driving in snow. Nice car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a much better feeling knowing how much safer this car is. It should be rock solid in reliability also. I will definitely feel safer when Alex drives this car in a few years.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...