Tuesday, October 29, 2013

First Dusting Of Snow - Revised Farmer's Walk



Song:  Gymnopedie

Original Composer:  Erik Satie



We had our first dusting of snow last week.


Alex, and I, love the cooler temperatures.


Pretty soon is ski season.

I must get my body toughened for when I hit the slopes this winter (literally :)

Alex does fine.  He is such a quick learner.
Most of my enjoyment comes from seeing him enjoy himself so much on the slopes.

As it is now too cold for our Saturday biking...
I am planning on getting a season ski pass for Alex and me...
and we plan to hit the slopes at least once a week
(our winter endurance exercise).

I also plan to take him snow shoeing sometime this winter...
and perhaps...some snow camping.

I made one modification to Alex's Farmer's Walk exercise.


This is a picture of Alex doing the Farmer's Walk three months ago.

Since then...
he has added 30 lbs. to the bar...
and I will now have him work his way up to a quarter of a mile walk 
while holding on to the bar.

This will greatly improve his Stamina...
and overall body conditioning.

Although he will have to put the bar down and rest a few minutes...
quite a few times during the session...in total...
he will have walked a quarter mile with a hundred pounds in his hands
(I will add more weight to the bar periodically).

I will, of course, build him up slowly to it.

However, he can now go 100 yards with it non-stop.

It will eventually be a multi-set... Stamina and Strength Endurance exercise...
twice a week.  He will be huffing like a freight train...
but he will feel like a million bucks afterwards.

This will dramatically improve his overall body conditioning.
He will be able to put forth high physical effort for long periods of time...
and for quickly repeated sets.

All of his other exercises will remain the same.

As Alex is still only 12 years old...
I reiterated to him how, in a couple of years...
when his Testosterone levels will naturally increase...
 he will see dramatic improvements in his strength, stamina, and endurance.

I told him of Milo...
the famous undefeated Greek Grappler of old...
and of his legendary (if not mythological) training regimen
(progressive resistance training).

He is said to have started out carrying a calf over his shoulders...
and walking around an arena with it.

As the calf grew...
and gained in weight...
Milo grew stronger and stronger.

Although the weight increases will be smaller...
and more conservatively applied...
the concept is the same.

Alex is really looking forward to this new longer Farmer's Walk session...
he loves how he feels after a good exercise session...
and he loves seeing his progress in weight training.


Last time I visited my mother in California...
I had her purchase a similar trap weight bar for herself 
(online...Amazon - $199.00 delivered)...
and my elder sister is going to buy her a couple of hundred pounds of free weights
and take it to her house.

My mother and my elder sister will be visiting me in a few weeks.
I will be showing them how to use the trap bar for just one exercise...
once a week...to not only improve their overall wellbeing and strength...
but to help build their bones to help prevent Osteoporosis.

My mother is 73 years old...
and although she is still in good overall health...
one good exercise (trap bar deadlift) once a week...
(singles up to 25 sets...then add weight...drop the sets to 5...add one set a week...
again, a set being one repetition...rest 30 seconds before the next set)
will do wonders for her.

I will write an article on them performing the exercise...when they arrive
(with pictures.  This exercise is safe...and effective..and I will go into it more in the article).

Both, she, and my elder sister, are going to do it together.

My sister will go to my mom's house...
 they will stretch...exercise...then stretch...
and they will be doing one of the greatest heavy lifts for overall 
body strength...without the shearing forces on the lower back
that the Squat or Standard Deadlift has
(I may switch Alex back to the Raised Platform Trap Bar Deadlift 
from the Squats and Deadlifts he is doing now...just for this reason).


This will protect their bones...
raise their metabolic rates...
improve overall health, and wellbeing.

Hmmm...
I wonder if I could get them interested in doing the Farmer's Walk too!  :)

(I am joking...not a good idea for an elderly woman...
one slip, or trip, and she could easily break off the head of one of her Femurs...
commonly called a "hip fracture").
















2 comments:

  1. Alex is going to become a strong young man!

    Also impressive that you are able to get your mother and sister on a good exercise program as well.

    We haven't had snow yet, but I guess it is almost ski season in the mountains. I look forward to reading about your skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, health of the body ties directly into health of the mind, intellectually and emotionally. Each component helps the others to excel.

    Women, especially, must also have a solid resistance exercise program to ward off the debilitating effects of bone loss. Many years ago, I had my parents on the trap bar deadlift exercise. However, when my mother no longer lived near me...she stopped it. Now that she lives near my elder sister, my sister can exercise with her. Both need to do it...and with regular exercise...both will feel the great enhancement to their lives, which will then become positively addictive. This particular exercise will also keep their posture upright...besides helping them to regulate fat accumulation, blood pressure...etc...by upping their metabolic rate.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...