Monday, October 14, 2013

Fall Colors For Alex 2013 - II



Song:  Above All

Artist:  Helen Jane Long




We were just near the town of Marklee when we, once again, stopped.

We had found, not only our new Autumn route...
but our new Autumn camping site (for next year).






We continued on into the mountains...
and were treated to some spectacular views.







Just one of the many thousands of small mountain lakes throughout the Sierra Nevadas.


We arrived at Alpine Lake...
and were pleasantly surprised to find it almost empty
(we had seen but two others there).




Alex just taking in the views before we departed for home.


One of the many picnic sites at Alpine Lake.



On our way back, I had seen this view...
and just had to stop.

We had a great day of sightseeing...
and more.



For the first time for Alex...
he had sat in the front passenger seat of our minivan for the ride home.

Now, this may seem like a small matter to most...
however, I told him that it is the first step toward driving.

Alex really likes riding up front.

As Alex is just a little over one month shy of 13 years old...
and is now the size of a small framed man...
and as he puts the seat all the way to the rear...
we no longer have to fear him being injured by an airbag deployment.


I wanted Alex to start viewing our rides from a driver's perspective.
I want him to associate the feeling of acceleration, turns, slows...
and stops, to my actions...and to his actions as he visualizes himself 
being the driver.

All the way home...
was his first lesson in driving...
that of observing everything all around him...
especially the view far beyond his immediate front.

I taught him the 3 second rule for the moderation of his following distance. 
 I had him practice it on cars which were in front of us.  
I also had him use the side view mirror to keep track of what was behind us.

I told him of the importance of observing the road conditions...
especially near turns...and of the importance of braking before the curve...
and the slight acceleration out of it.

For 2.5 hours...
we talked of almost nothing else but the close observation of his surroundings...
the road conditions...possible danger points (intersections)...
of knowing where the cars are all around him...at all times...
and how to always keep himself in a bubble of safety by keeping a safe 
distance from all cars...front...back...and side...etc.

Alex had fun while getting his first experience into something which will...
one day, be his first taste of real freedom and maturity.

I had a taste of the hell I will experience when I worry about Alex driving  :)

I shall ensure he is thoroughly prepared...
both, from professionals, and from my own lessons.

However, I know that I will still be sick with worry.

And so...the lessons started today :)




2 comments:

  1. Autumn is a great time to get out and explore beautiful places... so nice that Alex enjoys doing that with you.

    You are starting early with the driving lessons, but I think that is a good way to introduce him to all the factors he needs to consider when he starts driving. Don't overly stress about it now... you'll have plenty of occasions for that later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have known so many people whom have died. Most of them were in vehicular accidents. I emphasized this to Alex. Although a car gives freedom...it also exposes one to the number one killer of adolescents...vehicular accidents.

    I will be drilling him relentlessly on all types of roads and conditions...and at all hours of the day and night. This will be after he goes through a professional drivers course. After he has some experience...I will also have him go through a performance car handling course also. Fear is good...so long as it is converted into action to mitigate risks of that which is feared :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...