Monday, August 19, 2013

Alex, And Me...A Comparison Of Similarities And Differences




Song:  My Immortal (piano solo)

Group:  Evanescence



My mother had just sent me a scan of my Freshman High School photo...
out of the blue.

So, of course, it made me think to do a comparative photo 
of Alex, now...and me, then.

Although I was 1 year older than is Alex now...
I wanted Alex to see our similarities at similar ages.


A photo of Alex taken today (08/19/13).
Alex is 12 years old in this photo.


A photo of me when I was a Freshman in High School in 1973.
I was 13 years old.


(Alex at 12 yrs. old - 08/19/13)

Alex has my mouth, nose...
and same basic facial structure.

He is, however, MUCH more mature than I was (ever :)

If you notice by looking into our eyes...
Alex's eyes are much more focused...
as is his mind.

He has the drive of knowing what he wants...
and his disciplined study habits reflect his seriousness in life.


My eyes reflect the unfocused mind that I had.

I was constantly daydreaming...
my grades were atrocious...
I was hopelessly immature...
I had no idea what I had wanted to do in life.

Although I was serious in my physical training...
I really wouldn't mature until my 4 years in the Army straightened me out.

When I got out of the Army, I was 21 years old...
and only because of the experiences and responsibilities
I had while in the Army...could I then put myself through University
(I am still amazed with myself that I graduated :)

I have always been so grateful to the Army.
I had so many of life's great growing experiences while there.



Similarities:

Alex, and I, have a very similar emotional side.

We have great compassion toward all living creatures.

We both tend to feel things (emotionally)...
quickly, and deeply.

However, Alex is much better at handling frustration than I am.

We are both socially shy.

While Alex had some compulsions and nervous tics...
mine were much more severe.

We both love solitude and nature.


Differences:

The chief difference between Alex, and me...
lies in our basic mental processing and memory.

Besides Alex having a much superior processing speed...
he has a far superior working and general memory.

I have a terrible memory...
I simply don't remember things unless I understand the concept.

Unless it makes sense to me logically...
it is soon forgotten.

Alex is a very detail oriented and sequential learner.
He excels at text and auditory learning in a progressive and sequential manner.

I am a very global visual and kinesthetic learner.

Things usually don't make sense to me unless I see the whole picture...
and see how the governing concepts or principles apply to the whole.

As, like with many of us who are visual learners...
I think in movies.

When receiving instructions...
either through text or auditorily...
I automatically convert the instructions into a movie of the mind.
All I have to do then is to remember the movie.

That is why I did well physically in sports.

I could learn by watching someone do something.
I could see, hear, and feel what they were doing...
as a whole...and so, the crucial timing was picked up on...
and I could duplicate their actions.

Although I am not a spectator of sports...
I think that those who are...
are also visual and kinesthetic learners.

I think they also experience what the players feel through their senses...
just by watching them play.



I have asked Alex about his learning process
(both, he, and his mother, are auditory and text sequential learners).

From what I gather...
they remember the actual directions as they had heard or read them.

As for Alex's great mathematical abilities...
I know he hadn't gotten them from me  :)

Numbers have never made sense to me...
only what they actually represented in the movie of the mind.

I could give a great generalized educated guess :)

As a result...
I could never quantify to any degree of accuracy :)

Only through great struggle...
did I pass higher math at University
(and my atrocious study habits hampered me even more  :)


Alex, on the other hand...
 is a natural when it comes to math.

Letters and Numbers...
 were always closest to his heart.

He has always loved them...
he was always excited by them.


And so...
this was a basic glimpse into the mind of Alex.

He is of pure heart...
and of pure mind.

His pure actions are a direct result
of his pure heart and mind 
being aligned...
and in synch.

I say...
focus on the heart and mind...
the actions will follow.



2 comments:

  1. When a person knows another person only in one stage of their life, it is hard to imagine what they were like in a different stage. And so it is fun to see a picture from your youth, to know that you were young at one time ;), and to see how you have changed since then. I'm sure it was interesting for Alex to see it as well, as children never think their parents were ever as young as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife laughed when she had seen the picture. She said it was so 70s. Not only my hair, but the large shirt collar, the vest, and the shirt print. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...