Saturday, July 20, 2013

Alex Camping At Pyramid Lake



Song:  Tennessee

Artist:  Hanz Zimmer

(I had to use this song again.  It just fits so perfectly with Pyramid Lake.)


Alex, and I, decided to go camping at Pyramid Lake yesterday.
We got back early today before it got hot...
and, I will get more rest before our Saturday evening 
long mountain bike ride.


Although this was our camp site...
I had gotten stuck in the sand at the first place we had scouted.




Alex preparing the ground (moving any rocks) for our tent.


I had initially stopped at another beach campsite...
and I had driven into a patch of soft sand on the road on an incline
(I should have known by the name of the beach...Sandy Beach :)

Almost immediately...
a man came over and began to push...
however, I was in up to the front axel.

Shortly afterwards...
a very helpful man in a 4x4 offered to pull me out.

He backed up to our van...
and with a set of towing straps attached to my tow bar...
I was free...and greatly relieved.

It is great to experience such kindness from strangers.
It relieved a lot of the sting I had felt for being such a bonehead
for getting stuck in the first place  :)

Although I carried a shovel...
and I could have gotten myself out...
it would have taken a LOT of effort.

We continued to the pictured location above
(this is going to be our campsite from now on).

When I had arrived at this spot...
I realized how perfect it would be.

It had privacy...
views...
cooling breezes...
just perfect.

Pyramid Lake is on a Paiute Indian Reservation.
You may camp anywhere along the shore...
for just $9.00 a night.

There was no one around us for miles.



We set up camp quickly...
with the chairs facing the coming sunset.


I set up the BB-gun target...
and I had Alex practice his shooting skills.


After I had adjusted the sights...
he was hitting the bulls-eye.





I was going to have Alex dig a Dakota Stove in the ground...
but it was so sandy and rocky...
I didn't want to dull the cutting edge of the shovel
(when we go mountain camping...he will dig one then).


I made some fire starters from cotton balls and petroleum jelly
(as described in an earlier article).


I then stored them in a waterproof container
(not to protect the fire starters...they will light even when fully wet.
It is to keep the petroleum jelly from leaking out in hot weather...
the jelly liquifies to a certain degree).


I had also brought along some things for Alex
(the blade is my carry knife).

I will be getting Alex a multi pocketed vest to place emergency equipment in
when we go hiking and camping in the future.


The large flashlight is our camp flood flashlight...
the smaller one I got for each of us as a pocket carry.

Today was just for the experience of camping...
with a little lesson in fire starting for Alex.

In the future...
I will go into more in depth survival lessons...
including intruder alert perimeter campsite set up...
weapon and tool usage...other fire starting methods...etc.


Our little Bar-B-Que was set up just in front of our chairs.



We sat and watched the sun go down...




and then prepared the charcoal for cooking.

I had shown Alex how to use two different types of striker lighters.

One was the Magnesium block and steel striker...I had shown him how to 
first shave the Magnesium, and then to ignite it.

Then I had shown him how to use the all in one plunger igniter.

We used one of the fire ball fire starters I had made earlier...
to start the charcoal using the plunger igniter.


Alex practicing with the plunger igniter
(I highly recommend always carrying one of these).


We ignited the fire ball...


and let the coals burn down to a white as we watched the sunset.



Man...it was beautiful out there.

It was so quiet...
except for the lapping of the tiny shore waves...
the call of the occasional Loon or Gull...
or the splash of a diving Pelican.

There were no mosquitos...
and very few insects at all.





We cooked up 7 Hebrew National Hot Dogs
(the best tasting Hot Dogs in my mind)...
and two Salmon Filets.

Alex had eaten two Hot Dogs...
and both Salmon Filets.
I had 5 Hot Dogs.

Everything was cooked perfectly.
Funny how when the only things you have to eat
is on the grill...you pay special attention to them  :)


Alex's Herb and Citrus Salmon Filets.


THIS is dining Al Fresco.


As the sun continued to set...
I just let the coals burn down...
and we retired to our tent.


Alex is FaceTiming his mother (at home) on his iPad.

I went out and sat in my chair, for another hour or so, to enjoy the stars...
and the almost constant cooling breeze.


I had awakened early...
set up the chairs to view the sunrise...
and I awakened Alex to enjoy it with me.




My second bonehead move...
I should have ensured Alex had footwear on whenever venturing outside the tent.
Although we were only 1/2 hour or so out of Reno...
and I was carrying a venomous bite / sting kit...
shoes would prevent a mishap in the first place.

As we were packing up to leave after the sunrise...
I had shown Alex a scorpion near the campsite.





The rising sun was our cue to depart...
and so we did.

We got home...
I unpacked the car as Alex took a shower...
I then took one...
and we will both relax until this evening's
bike ride at Stampede Reservoir...
a meal at our Saturday Cafe...
and then movie night.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a perfect spot for camping! I envy that you can camp in such a beautiful spot with no one else around. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is going to be our Pyramid Lake camping spot from now on. We had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...