Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Lesson For Alex - Three Incidents Of Inconsideration


Song:  Echoes - Acoustic Version

Group:  Pink Floyd


While I am a very happy person...
one who loves love and life...
one who loves to laugh and share...
I also get quite peeved (for but a few moments)...
on an almost daily basis whenever I mix in with inconsiderate people
(they are EVERYWHERE  :)

As I have said before...
I feel things quickly, deeply and strongly.

Although I have a very quick temper...
my anger truly lasts a few seconds to just a few moments.

I very quickly return to being a very happy individual
after I have, either released my anger verbally...
or I have formulated a plan to leave the offending party behind.

Just like many people...
I experience many of my frustrations on the road.

I will see so many things about to happen...
incidents which could easily be avoided were the other driver 
not so selfish and inconsiderate...and sure enough...
they either do the action...or do not do that which they should have.

I will then usually give out a loud roar (yes...like a tiger :)
(my wife HATES it when I do this...it startles her  :)...
or I will call the person an appropriate name...
and then I am usually happy once again.

However...
last night, there were three incidents of inconsideration...
all within two hours...
the last of which had almost proved to be disastrous.

We were going to one of our favorite Sushi restaurants.
On the way there (in the fast lane)...
there was a car ahead of us which was going 20% slower 
than he should have been.

At light after light...
he would slow down way too soon...
and way too much.

When I finally got to go around him...
I had seen in the rearview mirror that traffic was backed up behind him.

He could have been intoxicated...
as many who are...
try to drive extra cautiously.

I had remarked to Alex that he was either intoxicated...
or that he was very inconsiderate towards others.

By his driving extra slowly...
he may have felt safe...
but he was forcing others into a bottle neck...
which actually makes it more dangerous for all.

Well...ok...
incident over...
lesson told to Alex...
we then arrived at the restaurant.


We ate our meal...
ordered our dessert
(it was still 40 minutes before closing at this time)...
and then a STRONG odor of bleach reached our noses.

My eyes were actually starting to water some.

I was looking around to find out who was cleaning.

Some of the Sushi chefs were moping behind the counter with this noxious solution
(don't get me wrong...it is good that they were using a strong bleach solution
to clean with...just not when the restaurant was still open).

I saw that the owner was not there on this night
(he would not have allowed them to do this.
The employees wanted to get off of work early by cleaning early).

I asked a waitress to get me the manager
(you had to know I was going to do this :).

When the manager came over...
I had first asked him if his eyes were watering.

He looked at me quizzically...
and I then told him that mine were...
and I had told him why.

I had told him that smell greatly affects taste
(as if anyone need be told this)...
 that it was still 40 minutes BEFORE closing time...
 that they shouldn't be deep cleaning while ANY customers were still there...
and that the customer pays for the ambiance as well as for the food.

I was not rude in my delivery.
The manager just apologized and said nothing afterwards.

I then looked at him as if he thought I were stupid...
as if I would somehow accept a mere apology
and pretend that the matter was concluded.

An apology is only the first step.

I then asked him if they intended to do such actions in the future.
It was only at this point that he indicated that they would not
(there you go...it should have been the very first thing out of his mouth).

So, am I just a cantankerous old man?

If you think so...think again.
The customers pay for the ambiance as well as for the food.

By the chefs ruining the ambiance...
and by ruining the smell...the taste of the food...
all for THEIR convenience...
 they were, in essence, stealing from the customers.

They were doing it because no one had said anything to them.

The chefs were taking advantage of people's good nature...
because people in general...
do not wish to be labeled as ill natured by others (uncool).

They knew that most will not say anything...
as most go monkey (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil)...
when in an awkward social situation.

I speak up...
not only because I wish to correct an unjust situation...
not just to make me feel better...
but to teach Alex that he is not to be a monkey...
or one of the sheeple 
(one who does things solely because of societal decree...
not because of that which is right or truly reasonable).

Always remember...
a child learns from not just what you say...
but from what you do...
and if there is any contradiction between the two...
he will learn by what you do...
and he will learn to NOT listen to what you say.


Ok...
now, we were driving home.

I am driving through an intersection...
and there is merging traffic to my right.

I see a car speeding up to merge in front of me...
he gets halfway in the lane...
and then slows and stops!

There is traffic going by to my left...
I can't go forward...I can't go left...
and sure enough...
I see a car rapidly approaching my rear.

At this point, I am honking and yelling "GO"!!!

The guy behind finally sees the situation...
panic brakes and turns to the right...
and his car ends up almost sideways behind our car.

The bonehead in front finally accelerates, and I then continue on.

I am still amazed at how many people don't know how to merge in traffic
(I usually drive in the fast lane because of this).

So many people drive with the attitude that no one else matters.

I, of course, tell Alex of how inconsiderate so many people are...
and that when it manifests itself on the road...
there is great danger of injury or death.


We had but a few miles to go before reaching home...
and I spoke to Alex of how so many people do not realize
that inconsideration closes doors of opportunity...
and how most never realize it.

People must know how to work with others...
how to function as part of a group.

Smart people can read others...
maybe not every time...or at first...
but they eventually tier people as to how 
valuable they are for the future...
as friends...and in the case of employment...
for additional responsibilities.

A smart person not only knows the value of being considerate...
not only to keep from creating unnecessary enemies from potential allies...
but he knows that by default...
someone who is unnecessarily rude or inconsiderate...
is not so smart...
that they lack foresight...
and so, they distance themselves from them...
and if they are in a position to affect the career path of people...
they never open the doors of opportunity for those inconsiderate people.

Willfully stupid people
(not those who cannot...but those who simply CHOOSE NOT)...
usually end up sabotaging their lives because they never realize 
the importance of simple consideration of others...
because they stupidly think that others are stupid...
that others cannot read body language, language inflection and timing...
that others cannot see simple cause and effect...
and especially that others cannot read their actions or inactions over time...
of which these being the most accurate way of telling the true intent of the person.

Simple consideration of others is an essential life skill...
that which will serve your child well throughout life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...