Saturday, May 11, 2013

Alex Helping With Our Container Garden Set Up



Song:  Journey To The Heart

Artist:  Kitaro



After Alex's studies for the day...
I took him to a local swimming pool so he could just free swim.

Later in the evening...
he helped me set up our Container Fruit Garden.





Once Alex finishes University...
and settles down to his profession...
we will find some place to live relatively near him...
and get our final home in the country (preferably in the mountains)...
one where we will have room to spread our wings
(I would love to have at least 10 acres).

At that time, I plan to have a large garden...
lots of fruit, nut, shade, and decorative trees...
and I will spend a lot of time landscaping the property
(meandering walkways, gazebos, fire pit...etc)...
so not only may we enjoy it...
but Alex may also, when he inherits it.

In the meantime...
I still want plenty of fruit for us to enjoy.

I picked some cold hardy plants which will give us 
at least half a year of continuous fruit...
and which will survive our winters with 
a minimal amount of winterization.



As there are a lot of rabbits and birds throughout our area...
I had to use containers to ensure we may enjoy the (literal) 
fruits of our labors.

I still must drive metal stakes around the perimeter of our little garden
to hold the wire rabbit fence, and the bird netting.





Alex helped me place the containers.

We had to ensure plenty of spacing with the mature plants in mind.





I shopped on line for ...
25 strawberry plants...
4 blackberry bushes...
2 blueberry bushes...
and I bought 4 elongated cherry tomato plants.

They should keep us in fruit most of the year.

Alex loves these fruits...
and whatever we don't eat right away...
we will freeze in bags for frozen treats all year long.

We are tired of paying ridiculous fruit prices at the stores...
as well as getting relatively flavorless...
and sometimes, moldy pieces.

Our fruit will be grown with no pesticides or herbicides...
so we can ensure healthful and nutritious treats for Alex.

I am also growing various types of sprouts indoors for our salads.

I will soon grow some selected vegetables indoors also
(using the auto plant light from Alex's science experiment).

Eating fresh fruit and vegetables on a daily basis
is SO important to strong long term health.

I still must put together our new Bar-B-Que.

I am looking forward to using it a lot.

Alex loves Bar-B-Que...
especially foil wrapped Salmon or Trout on the grill.

Although I must learn to Bar-B-Que without overcooking...
I am looking forward to cooking Sirloin Shish Kabobs... 
and grilled Salmon and Trout in a couple of weeks
(when we get Alex's SAT results).

Tomorrow...
Alex, and I, will once again...
try our hand at catching some trout at a new place just 15 minutes away.

I am going to go shopping tonight (24/7 Walmart)
for trout specific bait and hook set ups.

Yeah...
the bait and hook set up was the problem...
that must be it  :)

(right now...I'll try anything :)

Hopefully, tomorrow...
 I'll have pictures of Alex catching his first fish.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your garden! There is something very satisfying about harvesting your own crops. Container gardens are tough, though. In the winter, there's a good chance they'll freeze all the way through so you'll still need to do something to protect the plants. Don't let the rabbits and birds enjoy the fruits of your labor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...I will use insulation around the containers (gathered together). I still must get steel wire supports and bird mesh. Although I like to garden, this will be my first time container gardening. Hopefully I'll have an easier time with it than fishing :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...