Saturday, April 6, 2013

Alex's First Day Fishing - Stampede Reservoir



Song:  Dream Of Flying

Artist:  Brian Crain




This is to be our first time fishing together...
and Alex's first time to ever fish.

Stampede Reservoir is at 5,949 ft. in Elevation...
and but 45 minutes from home.



Alex is carrying some of the gear from the car to the shore.

The parking is right near the shoreline at this spot...
making off loading easy.



Although Stampede Reservoir is stocked with many varieties of Trout, Salmon...
and many other types of game fish...
we will have to experience actually catching one of them
on another trip.

I had purposely left late in the day because, on this first day of fishing...
I had wanted him to experience casting and reeling in...
and a couple hours of the outdoors without boredom.

This is just one of many lakes and reservoirs within an hour from home.

I didn't wish for his first experience to be a long boring day.




I rigged up Alex's fishing pole.

Alex is holding an optimist's fishing net
(it is for fish up to 50, or so, lbs :)




I demonstrated how to cast...



 and I then walked Alex through the motions of casting.


 I then had him cast.


I had Alex cast out, and then reel in, a few times to get the hang of it.


I then showed him how to brace the pole in the holder...and wait.


The wind started to pick up some...
and the waiting soon led to Alex picking up some sticks...


and playing Swordsman :)


After a couple of hours...
we departed for home...
empty handed...
but not empty hearted.

It was a very beautiful and peaceful day.

We enjoyed watching the birds fly overhead...
and the blissful quiet of this mountain lake.

I had told him that while fishing in the future...
we could practice the flute...
read...
or just enjoy the ambiance while free writing
or picnicking. 

Being in the great outdoors is very inspirational...
which in turn...
allows one to be especially creative.


We are only 20, or so, minutes from home here.

In a couple of days...
we are going to go skiing again
(this time, and from now on, I shall be skiing with him).

Next week...
we are going to try fishing again...
this time...at Pyramid Lake.

We should have much better luck for Trout there.

They have a Trout hatchery at the lake...
and many fishing contests take place there.

Strangely enough...
although we live in Nevada...
I have no need for a Nevada fishing license.

Stampede Reservoir and many other nearby lakes...
are in California (we live just 15 minutes from the California border)...
and so, I bought an annual California fishing license 
(children under the age of 16 don't need a license).

As Pyramid Lake is on an Indian Reservation...
I just need to buy a one day Paiute Indian Reservation fishing license 
whenever I fish there...for a few dollars
(if we end up fishing a lot there...I will just get the annual license).

As Pyramid Lake is a little over 30 minutes, or so, from home...
I plan to do some scouting for good fishing spots.

I will drop Alex off at school...
fish at Pyramid Lake...
and then pick him up from school.

I hope to be able to find some good fishing spots while there
so I may be able to take him on the weekends...
so we may enjoy some great fishing together.

I still need to buy a much larger Bar-B-Que grill.

The Trout at Pyramid Lake are regularly caught 
in the 10 to 20 lb. range...
and one was caught there which had weighed in at over 41 lbs.

I know...
optimistic thinking...
but...
without optimism...
there is no reason to even try  :)

I can hardly wait to see Alex's face light up
when he catches his first fish...
and when we have our first catch on the grill for a grand feast
(one of many... hopefully).

I will also use our time at Pyramid Lake to teach Alex some more Field Craft.  

I will show him how to dig a Dakota Stove...
how to lash a spear with our Bushman knives...
how to lay an alerting perimeter with black multifilament line and clip on bells...
etc.

This will be in preparation for our future camping and hiking excursions.

What I teach him...
he will be able to pass on to his children one day.


These are just some of the many great things I had always dreamt 
of doing with my future child, or children, when I was much younger.

Life is far too short, and far too precious... 
to not experience the great things in life...
with those of whom are...
 the greatest loves of our lives.

Ah...
these are just some of the great privileges of being a Father.









2 comments:

  1. Living in such a beautiful area, you can enjoy the serenity of the outdoors and have a nice time even without catching any fish. Perhaps one day my son will have the patience to go fishing, or at least I will develop enough patience to teach him. :) I look forward to reading about Alex's reaction to when he catches his first fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully, that day will be next week.

    Alex loves the outdoors...also with bobber fishing, and an alert device on the pole, Alex is free to do other things, so he won't get bored.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...