Saturday, April 27, 2013

Alex - River / Boca Reservoir Fishing / A Funny 911 Call



Song:  Sky Becomes Water

Group:  City Of The Fallen





Alex, and I, decided to go to the river feeding Boca Reservoir to do some fishing.

We told his mother where we would be going (the river and Boca Reservoir)
before we left.

Alex always tries to Face Time his mother every so often while we are on the road...
and when we reach our destination.

Alex had tried just prior to our stopping here...
but he had discovered that there was insufficient signal strength.

After 15 minutes of casting...
I realized that it was much more suited to Fly Fishing as it was fairly shallow...
and faster moving...
so we then went back to Boca Reservoir to fish.

Remember this...
as it shall factor into later events.


 We arrived at a location I thought was perfect to fish.

As the water level was low...
a spit of land about 100 yards from the high water mark protruded.

In fact...
I had asked Alex to look around him and to reason why the land looked so different
from where we were standing and the line of plant growth about 100 yrds. away.

I told him that since the water level was low...
the area where we were standing was, at certain times of the year...
normally underwater.

Another point to remember :)



After we had cast our lines...
Alex started playing with a large rock as if he were putting a shot.





Alex then started digging for different colored rocks.
The rock that he was holding was a reddish-goldish color.
He immediately exclaimed that it was bronze and that it was for sale
 for x amount of dollars (he was fooling around :)


We recast the lines every so often.



He then picked up some driftwood...
and claimed they were magic wands...
and he then proceeded to have them battle each other  :)


Alex then started digging for rocks at the edge of the water.


As there was no action in the water...
time for another diversion.

I had taught Alex how to skip rocks
(by this time we were about ready to go...
we weren't worried about scaring any fish :)





We were almost packed up and ready to leave.




We were ready to leave...
thinking that it was a nice few hours...
and that it was then the end of our day...
with no prospect for any more fun.

How wrong I was...
the fun was just about to begin.

I got back on the road...
which was just a few miles from the main highway...
and less than 30 minutes from home.

After a couple of miles...
a Deputy Sheriff's vehicle started following me.

I, of course, immediately looked down at my speedometer...
and to my dismay...I realized I was going 5 miles per hour over the speed limit.

I slowed down to the appropriate speed...
and continued driving.

After another mile or so...
the Deputy put on his lights.

I, at this point, tried to remember how much
a speeding ticket in California would set me back
(yes...it has happened more than once :)

I pulled over, and the Deputy walked up to my car.

What I hadn't known at this point was what my wife had set into motion
half an hour prior to this.

My wife often stays home when Alex and I go places together.

However, Alex always has his iPad...
and as he has 4G connection...
and a GPS function...
besides Alex contacting his mother on her computer using Face Time...
his mother also tracks us on the computer using the GPS on his iPad.

She does this to not only have fun imagining what we are doing at the shown location...
she is an emergency backup in case we don't arrive, or return, at the estimated times.

This is the picture of what she had seen from her computer:


Of course, you probably realize what had happened.

Shortly after Alex had tried to Face Time his mother through his iPad...
he had gotten through...
but my wife was not at the computer at the time.

By the time she had tried to call back...
a while later...
we were out of cell range.

So...
she tracked us using the GPS function on his iPad...
and she saw the above picture.

She said that at first...
she rationalized that we had rented a boat and was out on the Reservoir...
and she waited about half an hour...
but when she saw that the dot had not moved...
she researched Boca Reservoir...
and called them to ask if they rented boats.

When they said they did not...
she remembered that we first stopped at the river (upper right)
near the road.

She said that she imagined that Alex had fallen in...
and he had used his iPad to call her as he was being swept away by the current
towards the reservoir...
with me swimming frantically behind him :)

She then had another scenario in mind in which
we had run off the road and were then floating in the reservoir
300 feet from shore...and that Alex had tried to call her ...
before we sank :)

So...
she immediately called 911 in Reno.

They contacted the Deputies in California who patrol the reservoir.

She gave one of them a description of our van...
and for Alex and me.

She also told them the area in which she was tracking.

The Deputy then started his search.

Our van had the sun behind it as you look from the road...
so I am sure he would not have been able to see it well.

Anyway...
there I was thinking I was getting a ticket...
when he came to my open window...
and asked for me by name!

I looked at him closely...
thinking that the only way he would know my name was if we had worked together
at some point in time before I had retired...
or if he had run my plate (which was from a different State).

He then handed me the phone and said I needed to call my wife...
because she had called 911.

Now...
at this point, I thought something terrible had happened to her.

The Deputy then said that she had been tracking our GPS signal...
and it had shown that we were in the reservoir...
and that it hadn't moved for some time.

He said that he knew the water level was low and that we had probably 
driven near the shore and that the map hadn't reflected the change in water level.

I called my wife and we all had a laugh.

I thanked the Deputy...
and we both went our separate ways...
with smiles on our faces.

I remarked to Alex that his mother had done the right thing...
and that it was good that she had the presence of mind to rationally
put together possible scenarios with the information she had.

She had weighed everything by a risk/cost/benefit ratio...
and had acted appropriately.

When we got home...
my wife had said that while she had felt nauseated with fear...
she had remained calm in relaying information to 911 in Reno...
and with the Deputy at Boca Reservoir.

I have a renewed sense of confidence in my wife.

She keeps tabs on us to ensure our safety...
and she acted when she had researched and deduced...
what she determined to be, with her available information...
a plausible and potentially dangerous situation.

Ah...
what can I say...
she is a true Helicopter Parent (as am I)...
always on standby...
always ready to react.

This is exactly one of the life skills in which I wish to instill in Alex...
to be able to gather all available evidence from his surroundings...
to be able to know in an instant if it warrants further investigation...
 if it is a potential danger to life...
and for him to react appropriately on the side of safety first.

So...
while, once again, we left without a fish...
I came back with a story that is better than any fish story :)




2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is a good story! I can only imagine the fear your wife felt when she saw the map of the GPS signal. I'm sure she gave Alex an extra big hug when you guys returned home. This will be a story that will be retold for years to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife was very emotionally worn out. She had lost her appetite for the night after that incident. What I consider to be the most comforting is the knowledge that my wife can handle emergencies rationally.

    I am sure Alex will have some hearty laughs with his children one day, when he tells them of this incident.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...