Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Alex, And I, Skiing Mt. Rose Together



Song:  Promise

Artist:  Brian Crain



Alex upon our arrival at Mt. Rose.


Alex, and I, going up for our first run of the day.






We are headed down on our third run of the day.

Just down this slope...
you must turn right 90 degrees to start your run.

Alex had only fallen a total of 3 times all day...
and, he had gone on far more runs than I had.

Most of my falls were during high speed turns
(were supposed to have been).

I don't Pizza Slice or Snow Plow.
I used to be able to carve a turn at will...
and for the most part...
I can still carve a turn.

It was just during the times that I couldn't quite do it right...
well...
I just remember seeing white...
then seeing sky :)


I must say...
for an old guy who hadn't skied for almost 30 years...
who had gone right to the beginner slopes without any warm up
on the bunny hills...
who, on his first run of the day, was keeping up with his 12 year old son...
until his (my) first fall...
and on his subsequent runs...
 regaining more snow experience
(falling in it :)...
all in all...
................
well...I am still a mediocre skier at best :)


My son, however, is improving at such a great rate.

He was really moving down some of the hills...
and he was handling the turns with ever greater skill.

This old dog, however, is not going to be left behind by a young pup :)

Starting next season...
I am going to drop off Alex at school...
and sneak up to Mt. Rose for some slope time before I have to pick him back up.

We are, eventually, going to experience the long runs from the top of the mountain 
(elevation at almost 10,000 ft)...
together.

Mt. Rose is the highest Ski Resort in the Lake Tahoe area.

During the normal ski season...
they will get over 30 feet of snow in total.

However, this year they had only gotten half that amount...
and so...the ski season will be short this year
(they close for the season in a couple of weeks).

Their long run is presently at 2.5 miles in length...
and they are working on extending it to 3.5 miles.



Alex said he wanted to try some runs on his own.
He loves striving for independence.

He got on and rode the ski lift alone...
and skied down all by himself.



This is Alex going back on the ski lift right after he had completed
one of his runs.


We are leaving after having had a great time on the mountain.

In a couple of days...
we are going to go trout fishing at Pyramid Lake.

Alex is maturing at such a great rate!

He has an adventurous spirit...
he loves learning new things...
and he is constantly extending the limits
of those things which are known to him.

As Alex fully realizes...
It is the only way to truly live life.







4 comments:

  1. Your son looks so mature!!
    The photos paint a beautiful story!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex is maturing so quickly. I love seeing him grow. He still has his pure heart...but he is also becoming more aware of his surroundings and of the world. He is well balanced in heart, mind, and soul.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been skiing in a long time, too, and don't know if I can do it anymore. Ha, I admire you for going with Alex.

    How wonderful that he has learned so quickly, and wants to do some runs by himself. He is truly growing up when he strives for independence like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quickly became re-acquainted with the snow...the feel of it as I tumbled :)

    I love seeing Alex strive to do things on his own. He has a lot of confidence without the recklessness. He knows that with applied effort...and pure repetition...he can learn anything.

    He has good judgment. Seeing this alleviates much of my worry about his future endeavors
    (especially driving!).

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...