Sunday, December 9, 2012

Alex's Project: Create Your Own Advertisement



Song:  Fire

Artist:  Kitaro


Alex had a short term project assigned at school (English).

He had to design a commercial or an advertisement
 using one of the accepted advertising techniques.

He will turn in his project on Monday.

Included with the project is his initial proposal...
and a few supplemental paragraphs explaining:

What the ad is about and who the target audience is...
A timeline of the project...
all drafts completed before the final draft...
all prewriting / brainstorming completed on the project.






This is Alex's advertisement against Drunk Driving.

When he first got the assignment a couple of days ago...
I told him in the van on the way home...
 that with any ad...
simplicity and brevity is a must.

Information saturation is a sure killer of audience attention.

The ad must grab the attention in the headline...
it must support it in bold graphic and printed statements...
and the stats must be concise.

A little controversy usually helps also...so long as it is moral.

As Alex had no knowledge of the reference to the word "shot"
in relation to alcoholic drinks...
I told him about the shot and the shot glass it is usually served in.

I told him how a simple play on the word "shot"
could bring a dramatic contrast to an advertisement against drunk driving.


I then told him of the Sniper's motto "One shot...One kill".

I had him come up with his ad headline by explaining the extreme amount 
of danger a sniper puts himself in to complete his task.

I told him that it made him a....
and he answered "Hero".

I asked him what abbreviation showed a comparative contrast.
With a little nudging...
he answered "vs".

I then asked him what word we could use to describe a person
who, because of his choices, puts himself, and especially others...
in extreme and completely unnecessary danger.

Alex paused.
I then said that if a hero is a 10, then someone on the opposite end of the scale is a...
he immediately replied...."1".

After I chuckled, I then asked...
 "What could we use that means a loser (because of his attitude)...
 and rhymes with hero?"

He then got it and exclaimed, "Zero".

And so, that is how we devised the thrust of the article, the main title and body
of the advertisement.  I then told him we would need to include pictures of each
using the play on the words, "One shot...One kill".

I then asked him for what other stipulations applied with his assignment.

He said that including statistics would fulfill the requirement.

I said that it would be easy to find all the stats needed
after a quick search on the internet.

And so, within the 15 minute drive home from his school...
Alex had all of the necessary components for his ad.


Yes...
as this was a very simple assignment...
I could immediately picture the result in my head.

Does this mean that I did his project for him?

NO

I had Alex come up with the project, piece by piece, in his head.

Yes...
I had led him there...but he still could envision it himself.

Using directed questioning through the limiting of variables
(Socratic Method of Teaching)...
the instructor leads the student to picture the answers in his head...
and so, the instructor, in essence, has the student come up 
with the solutions to the problems.

Through the consistent usage of the Socratic Method...
the student eventually learns to ask himself
the correct questions.

Although, I would usually ask Alex...
"What is it that we need to find out?".
 I would then ask him how we could do it.

However, as he has major tests coming up next week...
and he has to study extra long this weekend...
I knew we could only spend a couple of hours on this project
(we save projects for the weekend)...
and so, I bypassed our normal brainstorming process
(think of it as brainstorming lite :)


Later today...
I will be taking Alex to a Turkish cultural festival for a couple of hours
(after his studying is complete).

I will include pictures of it tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alex.... very clever. Your absolutely correct and your advertisement is very catchy... I like it,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. He will turn in his project tomorrow. He should do well with it. Thank you again for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...