Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Alex After The UNLV Math Camp - En Route Home



Song:  Aniron

Artist:  Enya


The reason we decided to stay overnight at Tonopah was because
I had been monitoring the weather reports.

Reno had been hit by a snow storm which was due to subside on the morrow.

During Alex's Face Time with his mother back in Reno...
she had shown us the amount of snow coming down at the time.







My wife had taken these photos in Reno while Alex, and I, were in Las Vegas.



With this in mind...
I decided to stop at the approximate halfway point (Tonopah...point B).



On our way from Hoover Dam.


We are about an hour or so out of Tonopah.


We had arrived at our hotel for the night.
It was a nice hotel with one of the most comfortable beds
 I have been in at any hotel.  It was quiet and reasonably priced.  
Right next door was another hotel with a nice restaurant.


As this was a special occasion...
I allowed Alex to order two sweetened drinks (lemonade and hot chocolate)...
and we shared dessert also.


Alex had gotten the fish and chips.
These were exceptional.  The fish was light and flakey...
the batter was light and was not oily.


I started out with a BLT...
and since I was not driving for the night...
I tried a dark lager from Oregon.


I then had a 1/2 lb. Cheese Burger.

They know how to make great burgers...
charbroiled!


This was the lobby of the hotel next door where we had eaten.


The next morning it had lightly snowed here.
We walked from our hotel to the one in the background for breakfast.


Alex enjoyed his French Toast and Ham...
with a side of Yogurt.


I had a typical breakfast of many Americans
(I don't eat such meals at home...just when I go out).


As we were leaving the restaurant / hotel to depart Tonopah.


We stopped for gas before hitting the road for the last leg of our journey.


Within the hour...
we had left the snow clouds behind.




Part way back...
I had seen this very small country store.

We picked up some drinks...
and some souvenirs.

I picked up Alex an appropriate gift from here
(which I had taken a picture of at home).


This town's Post Office.

The only reason I hadn't missed this town was that 
I didn't have to close my eyes for more than a few seconds...
had I yawned or sneezed...we may have missed it entirely :)





We had stopped at Walker Lake to get a few photos...
and then made the final push for home.



The mountains of Reno...
we are just minutes away from home here.


I stopped in for gas just a few miles from home.




It was Christmas Eve...and we were finally home.


I had seen this at the country store.
Alex is not only an Intellectual Warrior...
he took a major step toward being a man during this trip.

He strove for independence...
and he did very well on his own.

Just as Native American tribes had used the Tomahawk as a sign 
of the coming of age as a man and warrior...
I had bought this for Alex as the mark of him becoming a man.

Although Alex had only just turned 12 yrs. old...
he has the attitude of a young man.

He takes life seriously through thorough preparation.

It is counter intuitive in most...
however, only by being deadly serious in your attitude toward life
in your preparations for it...
may you be light hearted in your living of it.







2 comments:

  1. A very successful trip all around. I had never taken a helicopter tour anywhere... those are awesome sights from up high at Hoover Dam. And it was nice that you could enjoy the small towns and beautiful places on your way back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...i consider this trip especially fruitful. Alex now knows that he can operate independently in the world so long as he knows what must be done.

    Each of our trips I try to make as stimulating as possible...on as many levels as possible. The journey itself is also very valuable, in not only beauty...but in the solitude it affords. In the mini-van...unless I am asking questions of the surroundings...or we are having a discussion on events to unfold...I allow Alex to let his mind wander as he looks out the window. I used to love doing that when I was young and our family was on cross country car trips. I would listen to music as I stared out the window. I listen to my music through earphones so as to not disturb anyone else in the van...allowing them their solitude.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...