Friday, September 28, 2012

Alex On The Eagle Falls Trail



Song:  Ocean Princess

Artist:  Thomas Bergersen


(the left most posting is a bear warning...
it says they are to be given the right of way.
Has that EVER been a problem? :)

We had but a short drive to Lake Tahoe.

This was to be a short scouting mission to gather the mood of the place...
and to keep it in mind for late Winter or early Spring.

The main attraction is the Upper and Lower Falls...
neither of which flow this late in the season.

Early next year we hope to catch ice and copious amounts of water flowing.










The trail was well marked and had plenty of stone stairways.















Alex resting on a rock with Lake Tahoe in the background
(Emerald Bay).

When we go back there with the waterfalls in full flow...
I hope to get some very nice photos.

This was just a nice little hike in the Sierra Nevadas to have Alex
just relax and enjoy himself since he has been working so hard lately.

We then continued on around Lake Tahoe and to Incline Village...
to eat at a Sushi restaurant.



Alex on his iPad 3.
We buy him plenty of Gigabytes of air time every month 
so he is able to enjoy long car rides.

He asks if we could go on long car drives frequently.
He enjoys the stimulation of viewing new sights at will while playing his favorite apps...
or tracking our location and finding out facts about them.

This way he has the best of both worlds.
The apps...and, merely by looking out the window of the minivan...
he has new sights :)

Alex works so much that he has earned his free time...
many times over.




Alex doesn't like cucumbers in his California rolls.


The Sushi looked good right?

They had novel combinations...
including Shiitake rolls (flavorful mushroom).

They must have been good...right?

Wrong!!!

I couldn't believe it.

Nice location...
nice decor...
fresh ingredients...
efficient use of space in the restaurant.

The rice was HARD!
(besides being un-flavorful)

Take a sandwich as an example.

No matter how fresh the ingredients...
if you put them inside of two pieces of dried out burnt pieces of bread...
it is a terrible sandwich.

This was just too much.

My wife knew what I was going to do when I told her to go to the car without me
after we had finished.

I just had to talk with the owner
(to educate her and to help her improve).

To my great surprise...it simply did not go well at all.

I couldn't believe it...
besides being unreceptive...she was spouting all sorts of basic fallacies.
She had sounded as a child who was caught doing something naughty...
and thinking to merely deny and dismiss was the answer...
no matter if she had contradicted herself or not
(I was being polite and helpful in, both, information given...
and in demeanor).

This owner was failing to identify and correct a problem
because she let her ego override good business sense.

I explained the problem...
gave a plausible reason behind it 
(effect of altitude on the boiling point of the water)...
and possible solutions.


Before anyone thinks I am merely a difficult to please malcontent...
while I often (unsolicited) identify problems and offer solutions
(I know...obnoxious, isn't it? :)
it is because I am a teacher at heart.

On the drive home...
I thought this would be a perfect lesson for Alex.

I explained to him how she was not thinking long term...
her basic lack of reasoning and the most probable reason for it...
the most probable effects of her failure to decide to observe...
take in new evidence (research and test)...
and then to either accept or reject.

As a result of this experience...
I just had to write an online review of this particular restaurant.

Although this was my first review of a restaurant...
I just know it will not be my last
( I will write both positive and negative reviews based on merit...
and on the extreme ends of the spectrum only).

Below is my actual review (Yelp).





This is a perfect writing exercise for Alex to do for some of our 
future restaurant adventures.

Alex will love writing reviews on line.
I should have thought of this sooner  :)



2 comments:

  1. We went hiking this weekend as well, but our sights were not nearly as spectacular as this.

    That must have been so disappointing to bite into the wonderful-looking sushi and have it taste so bad. I think you are right - the rice, though probably all too often underappreciated - is a big key to differentiating good sushi from bad. I had to chuckle while reading your review... you really nailed it... but it seems very well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of days later...we went to our favorite Sushi place in Reno. What a difference! It was so good there...I just had to write another review...this time a 5 star rating (Sky Terrace Sushi).

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...