Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Stretching The Mind And The Body



Song:  Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

Rendition:  Calikokat




Alex stretches a little before his physical training...
and more heavily right afterwards.

I use this time for Alex's memorization drills for his school work.



Whether it is for Vocabulary, Poem Recitation...or anything demanding
strict memorization...it is not only an efficient use of time...
it is a much more effective way of remembering things.


 While Alex stretches...I ask him various questions.

As the body is stretched after heavy exertion...
and held in each position for at least 1 minute...
the muscles more fully relax (relaxation of the stretch inhibitors of the muscles).



As the body more fully relaxes...so does the mind.
The body's natural opioids (to counter slight stretching pain)...
and stimulants...are released as a natural reaction to the stress of stretching
(discomfort is good - sharp pain is not).

The mind is more pliable and the memory imprint is stronger
(just as it remembers better while using caffeine).

It also has to do with the stimulation of more of the senses.

The more senses stimulated...
even in mere association with that to be remembered...
the better it is remembered.

Special School Military Instructors use this to great effect.

When punctuating important points...
they would often use the startle effect to separate the event to remember
from all of the rest by suddenly slamming their fist down on their teaching
podium...stomping their foot...something unusual...sometimes by
YELLING out the point.

If you forgot something...
they would often have you exercise heavily while repeating the point to be 
remembered...not as harassment...but as a way to punctuate the point so it would
never be forgotten (bonehead remedial training).

Although they probably don't know the neuro-physiological process behind the effect...
they do know that it works.

Alex has a very good memory...
so we just do his memorization practice during his stretching.

Later, when I show him some hip throws...
just for fun...
if he remembers the answer to my question...
he will get to throw me.

If he gets it wrong...
I will throw him.

This will not only be a fun way to memorize necessary passages or formulas...
and to practice the physical arts...
with the heart pumping more oxygenated blood
 and the various stimulative chemicals to his brain...
it is a more efficient and effective way of memorizing.




2 comments:

  1. I learn the most interesting things from your blog. I will have to keep this in mind, as much for myself as for my son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I simply love helping people by helping them help themselves...and others. I can speak of these things with confidence because it comes from experience. Each thing I have learned from others...even from reading...I have either applied in life...or have made direct observations showing a strong cause and effect.

    While Blogging is a hobby for me...it is also a way for me to leave behind what wisdom I have gathered...for my son to use in his life as he raises his children. I am very happy that others may also use this information.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...