Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Strength / Conditioning / Skill Training VI - Skill



Song:  Gollum's Song

Rendition:  Calikokat



This link is to a previous article on Alex's schedule.
It delineates the skill training portion and the frequency of application.


Skill training...
when practiced intensely enough...long enough...
can in of itself...provide stamina and endurance training at the same time.


It also provides a means of self protection...
from all of the Gollums of the world.







Heavy Bag Training can provide an intense workout...
and broken up into rounds...
can provide plenty of stamina and endurance training.

While I would love to incorporate roadwork into Alex's schedule...
there simply isn't enough time.  Alex's academics must come first.


Alex practicing a shin kick.

As I had explained earlier...
a curved shield bag is a great alternative to a heavy bag.


The following pictures are of the Grappling.

Do not worry...
in all of the sequences...
I moved very slowly and did not apply any real pressure.

The purpose was to demonstrate the two most basic grappling moves...
ones that are very simple in concept and application.

I first had Alex shadow my movements...
I then demonstrated the move on him...
I then had him demonstrate it on me.


I am showing Alex a typical stance and the subsequent movement
of a typical skilled street fighter.



Basic Headlock




Alex applying a headlock.


I am showing Alex the Hook...


to the Front Chancery.


I wanted to demonstrate the amount of pressure which can be applied through body torquing
(this was done in a VERY slow and controlled manner).


Alex attempting to hook.


I realize that these next shots look funny.

It looks as if we were practicing Tai Chi  :)

I am merely showing him how to hook
 and transition into a Front Chancery in one motion.






Hook...


Pass...


Secure...


 Torque and takedown.


I am a retired Correctional Officer.

While in the facilities...we roamed amongst criminals...and we were unarmed
(except for pepper spray...which I never used...
I've always liked working with my hands  :)

I had used the Hook and Front Chancery 99% of the countless number
of times I have had to take people down over my 23 years on the job. 
 Many of the inmates were larger...and most were much younger than me.

I will later teach Alex some simple chokes.

My son shall not be a target.

I will give him the basic tools that he needs to prosper in this world...
the training that he needs to walk without fear...
the confidence that will come with competence in abilities...
through skill training.

Where honorable men tread...
the Gollums of the world have to skulk.
May that never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...