Friday, July 27, 2012

High Country Adventure For Alex - I


Song:  Remember Me

Artist:  Thomas Bergersen



As we had taken many photos...
I separated this article into 3 sections.

We departed home at about 5 A.M..
Our destination was Tioga Pass / Yosemite / Mammoth Lakes.

As they are just a few hours away from home...
we arrived in plenty of time to fully enjoy the day.



Our route to Tioga Pass.
Mammoth Lakes was just 30 minutes east of Tioga Pass. 



Our route skirted the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountain Range.
This was just one of many lakes on the way.


A view of Mono Lake...en route to Tioga Pass.
Our last stop on our way home will be Mono Lake.



As this is peak camping season...
I had a total of 4 contingency plans.

I had to rely on my third contingency plan since everything was packed.
All of the campgrounds were full (first come...first serve).

Although we had arrived before check out for the day...
everyone had checked in for multiple days before we got there.

Although I had planned our arrival for the least full days of the week...
all campsites were still full...
and so we finally had to settle for contingency plan number 3.



On our way to Tioga Pass.


One of Alex's favorite things to do when we go to different locations...
is to track (GPS) our elevation and route.


One of many Alpine lakes we had stopped by.




Tioga Pass...
the Eastern gateway into Yosemite.

By the time we had reached here...
I knew we had to fall back to our 3rd contingency.

The campgrounds just on the other side of Tioga Pass was my first plan...
the ones before reaching Tioga Pass was my second.

As we drove up...all of my second tier plans were shot...
this, of course, let me know that all of my first tier plans were shot.


We decided to continue on to Yosemite Valley and to Glacier Point...
to just enjoy all of our first day there...
and to fall back to the third tier contingency...
which was to get a motel in Mammoth Lakes 
(it was to be our second day of high country fun anyway).

I had packed all of our camping gear...
water purifiers...
our knives (I was going to teach Alex how to secure his to
a strong branch to make a spear)...
and I had brought along a 12 gauge shotgun (Mossberg 870)...
complete with a bandolier filled with slugs...
in case of a bear encounter in the high country.

As we could not go camping...
It turned out that our only concern was that of vacancies at the motels
at Mammoth Lakes...and that they had air conditioning  :)



Olmstead Point...near the eastern border of Yosemite Park
( Half Dome is in the background ).




Alex enjoying the views.

Our next stop was below Half Dome...
on the valley floor...and then up to Glacier Point...
on the far side of Half Dome...looking back this way.

Alex said he loved the high altitude.
Alex, and I, are men of the mountains at heart.

The temperature was just right...
and a light breeze was blowing.

The air felt so fresh and clean...
and our bodies felt so light.

As there are another 2 articles of the same theme...
I will save my proselytizing for the last one  :)


2 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures! As I read this, I thought it was great that ALex was so flexible and able to move onto other locations when the first plans didn't work. We still struggle with contingency plans being seen as a good option. Getting better but...

    Alex is lucky to have a family that presents him with such learning opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos get even better in my second and third articles. Alex rarely demonstrates disappointment because flexibility was heavily stressed in his ABA therapy when he was very young.

    Alex is very open to rational explanations. It is when something doesn't make sense that he gets upset. I am very much the same way :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...