Thursday, November 10, 2011

Home Schooling - Part 2 of a 12 Part Book Review - Brain Rules - Rule 2


Song:  Rain

Artist:  Dax Johnson



RULE #2:  SURVIVAL



The most important human attribute is, of course, our intelligence.

The chapter goes on to describe our capability to reason symbolically
(acquired meaning and relationships not directly attributed to an object)...
the importance of which forms the basis for language acquisition...
which allows knowledge to build from generation to generation...
and from person to person in the same generation.

This gives depth and breadth to knowledge transference...
which allows groups of people to work together for a common cause.

The author describes two major functions of intelligence...
the acquisition, categorization and storage of knowledge...
and the ability to apply it to the real world...
always adapting to new situations through the use of hindsight, as well as, forethought.


Although the chapter also describes the major portions of the brain...
by function...it is how each may apply to life that is important...
and also explained.

One key thought stands out in this chapter...
as it has such high relevance to parents.

Relationships matter when attempting to teach human beings.

A non threatening atmosphere in general...
a calm disposition of the teacher in the face of the student's failure...
inspires the trust in the instructor necessary for optimum learning to take place.


Author's Summary - Rule #2:


1)  We don't have one brain in our heads...we have three.

2)  We took over the Earth by adapting to change itself.

3)  Going from four legs to two freed up energy to develop our brains.

4)  Symbolic Reasoning is a uniquely human talent.  It may have arisen from
our need to understand one another's intentions and motivations, allowing us to 
co-ordinate within a group.




What we strive to give Alex is...
conceptual knowledge.  

With conceptual knowledge...
the details may be lain out (in the child's mind) with inter-connecting
paths of cause and effect or with a clear logical connection...
which makes inherent sense to the child.

This is the basis for true understanding.





4 comments:

  1. One of my son's therapist really emphasizes how important relationships. She's spoken often of how a trusted relationship can help a child like my son cope better and learn more in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is so important to keep the channel of trust and learning open. It is even more important for a child on the spectrum as he could easily face verbal attacks from others...making how he is treated by family members crucial. Every negative comment or hurtful tone is magnified in the child's mind as he sees his family as his last refuge. When his world, all he knows and trusts, seems to turn on him...it becomes all the more hurtful. The big negative reaction to hurtful tones from family is because his world, at least temporarily, crumbles at his feet.

    Of course, frustration happens. I am no saint. My raised voice to my son has been kept minimal...had been for a cause in most cases...and I also apologized. It is at this point that I realize that I have totally ruined the lesson of the moment. I have to let things cool for a few minutes and try to explain in the correct manner. That is why it is relatively easy for me to forgive my son's times of frustration. Like father - like son...not only do I understand him...as he has forgiven me for my frustrations...I must forgive him his.

    This is where my son has taught me. He actually doesn't get so frustrated at things as I. He forgives me quickly and he resumes the lesson after a short cool down. The cool off period is actually for me to recompose... as my frustration can lead to nothing but a worsening situation and a completely destroyed learning atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to be aware of your own frustration levels. And smart to know that a time out is not just for the child, but for the parent as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you...my quick temper is one of the things I hate about myself. Although I have improved...I have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...