Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Moderation Of Puberty Through Endurance Exercise


Song:  Legend Of A Mind

Group:  Moody Blues


Although there is ample scientific research of the positive effects
of endurance exercise on the body...

 Physically...
Intellectually...

it is difficult to measure the greatly positive effects...

Emotionally...

as this is, without great expense and effort...

Subjective

(to be anywhere near Objective....
it would have to involve the before and after measurement of...
 neurotransmitters...
 PET scans...
correlated to direct observation under real life conditions...
in large numbers and over a great amount of time).

And so...

I will have to relay my experiences with endurance training...
looking at the before and after...
effects on my outlook...
what I am doing now...
the observed effects on my son....Alex
(we are jogging together).

 Alex... though he is but 10 yrs. old...
is showing the early signs of Puberty.

As I had started increasingly heavier amounts of exercise
before initiation of puberty...
I cannot say with any amount of certainty
that my smooth transition through it was a direct result
of my exercise regimen...
my genetic predisposition to a more moderate and extended
time period of puberty...
diet or other factors...
or any combination of them.


What I can tell you, with certainty, is what I had experienced...
internally, as a direct result of endurance training
(Physically, Intellectually, and Emotionally).


We all have, for the most part

(some people have off kilter neuro-chemical balances
 or their ability to respond to them)...

 experienced great elation...
a greatly sped up thought process...
a great surge of energy lasting many hours...
and for some...many days...
as a direct result of intense or extended exercise.

Even as children...
running around for hours on an open field...
playing sports...
any activity involving extensive amounts of exercise...
had made us feel...
 so alive.

Before going on...
let me clarify the differing terms
of basic exercise... as they are often confused.


Maximal Force...
the ability to contract the most muscle fibers
in the shortest period of time.

This is stimulated in short burst activities...
such as sprinting short distances...
weight lifting (heavy weights...not bodybuilding).

A measure of intensity.


Stamina...
the ability to work at relatively high intensity repeatedly.

Such as in a fast paced bout of boxing or grappling...
Strongman competitions...
etc.


Endurance...
the ability to continue a lower level of intensity
over a maximum period of time.

This is in the realm of long distance foot races and the like.

Most sports incorporate a component of each in differing
percentages...a sliding scale depending on the particular need
of the participant and activity.

A weight lifter or power lifter on one extreme...
and an ultra marathoner on the other.

Although I have participated in sports involving 
the specialization of each area...
it is in the realm of Endurance that I have experienced
the most positive mood inducing effects.


I have stated the great importance that

Diet...
Exercise...
Deep Sleep

have on the 

Intellect...
Body...
Emotions

over and over again.


So many of the common maladies in modern
civilization would never occur...
or would be in a much lesser form...
and certainly in much fewer numbers...
were people to just get healthful amounts of each.


Add to this...
the great modulating effect of Endurance training
on the body, mind and soul.

It greatly enhances pleasurable stimuli...
and greatly moderates unpleasant stimuli.


Puberty...
other than my natural introversion
and awkwardness...
was no big deal to me
(I may not have seemed suave to others...but I felt great  :)


I had no memorable changes...
no sudden mood swings...
no radical voice changes...
no sudden growth spurts...
everything came in a slow steady progression.


I had noticed early in life...
the direct personal correlation of extended exercise...
particularly endurance based ones...
to a feeling of great ease in, not only body...
but in mind.

Of the times where I hadn't exercised for a few days...
I would revert to a feeling of just... normal.

The air no longer tasted delicious...
the feeling of it on my skin was no longer stimulating...
colors and music had lost their special meanings...
food lost some of its flavor and feeling.

I had felt I had lost so much of life.

Although I was not depressed...
I was no longer feeling so alive.

When I resumed my endurance training...
I felt once again to be...
a god of energy...
peaceful within...
and my mind could concentrate...
yet fly at the same time.

I thought about what my future would hold...
the adventures to be had.

I was filled with hope.


What I wish to give to my son...
through endurance training...
is the same emotional wellbeing...
of feeling so connected to everything...
of feeling so excited about the future...
of the great enhancement of the simple pleasures in life
 (events such as beautiful sunsets or crisp mountain air
and of the unforgettable symphonies that play in the mind
as you experience or relive them).


Right now...
Alex goes to Karate training every
Mon/Tue and Thur/Fri.

Right after we get home...
I have him go through more training with focus mitts 
and bag work...we then conclude the workout with a jog
and stretching.

Every Wed and Sat...
Alex does his Powerlifting.

On Sunday...he just rests.

If you noticed...
I have incorporated all three elements of exercise...
 High Intensity...
Stamina...
Endurance.

I will be gradually increasing the endurance portion.

He says he loves jogging.

I can see a better mood in him...
I am sure it will be a life long deep pleasure for him.

Should you wish to incorporate jogging
(far better than a treadmill)...
start out slowly and for a short distance.

If jogging is to be your only exercise...
then almost daily is fine.

However...
once you increase your distance...
4 to 5 times weekly should be fine
(unless you are actively competing...
you want to allow full recovery of your body).

For non-competitive running...

Go no faster than nausea...
and for no longer than bonking
(carbohydrate, derived and stored, fuel depletion...
signaled by a sudden and extreme loss of energy...
dizziness and nausea).

As your conditioning level increases...
your ease of running the distance is the signal to 
increase the milage.

Your goal should be to start out slow and short 
enough to always give a pleasurable experience.

Your body will know when to go a little farther...
and faster.

Always remember to jog just this side of nausea.

If you get out of breath...you are going too fast.

If you must fight the great urge to walk
(strive to NEVER walk...merely slow down)
you went too far.

This will give you a self regulating exercise program.

Should you feel you have no energy for a run...
for whatever reason...
take the day off...
however...
unless you feel ill...
or have not slept well...
resume the next day.

In the beginning stages...
until you get into shape...
laziness is your enemy.

You know you are doing it right...
when you sleep deeply and feel refreshed upon awakening...
you hunger for your run...
you are on the lookout for a great route to fully experience
(beautiful scenery greatly enhances the run)...
when you have boundless energy and a thirst for life.

From what I have read about depression...
I have never been depressed.

I have been irritable...
but that usually happens because I couldn't...
for whatever reason...
train as I had wished to.

I have been sad...
temporarily...
and for a reason.

However... I have never felt long term depression.

I always knew that I could feel the great wholeness
and colors of life...
by simply engaging in some
soul satisfying...

Endurance Training.


For this great reason...
I know that by giving my son
 a great door to walk through
(jog through actually...  :)
 his journey to manhood via puberty...
will be one of high adventure...
instead of one marked by frustration or apprehension.



One final note...

besides all of the other benefits...

one of the greatly overlooked pleasures in life...

having regular (daily) and voluminous...
bowel movements.

Endurance training greatly speeds up the transition 
of waste through the intestines.

To leave the bathroom feeling...
lighter...
purified...
energized...
fully ready to take on the world...

is highly underrated.



2 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job of giving your son a broad range of training and skills. My nephew took up cross country when he entered high school and I believe that it was very beneficial for him. I'm glad that Alex is enjoying his jogs with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. We both enjoy the time spent jogging...as well as the stretching session afterward. My wife has commented on how much more he is eating lately...ah...one of the benefits of training...getting to eat lots of food ...as so many calories are expended (not just through the act...but also as a result of a much higher metabolic rate).

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...