Thursday, October 13, 2011

Home Schooling - Wise Words From The Dalai Lama



Song:  Have You Heard I/ The Voyage / Have You Heard II

Group:  The Moody Blues





One of my Nephews had this on his Facebook.

It illustrates, perfectly, a concept I've been instilling in Alex.

Although there are many such sayings in popular culture
(stop and smell the roses...etc)...
this goes deeper.

To realize that we have but one life to live...
puts such great importance on what we chose to do with it.

It gives us a sense of urgency.
The experiences we treasure are what enrich our lives.

My stress for Alex's future is to open as many doors 
of opportunity through thorough preparation...
so he may realize his passion in life...
while making it a financially viable option.

As we spend so much of our lives at work...
to be able to look forward to going to work because it is your passion...
enjoying the challenges...even the failures (something to learn)...
is to enjoy all of your working hours.

To feel a sense of fulfillment and deep satisfaction
at the end of the day...
is to have spent all waking hours steeped in an existence of passion.

To be able to do for others while doing this...
and being able to make a good living...

that is living life well.


In one fell swoop...
you will have mastered your...

Past...
Present...
Future.

To live your life fully...
is to not fear mortality.

You will have done everything possible...
you will have enjoyed every possible moment.

All of your plans for the future will have allowed
a mind free of worry so you could enjoy the present.

Although you would do everything to extend your happiness and life...
you would not feel cheated in life were you not able to do so.

I use myself, when I talk with Alex...
 as an example of how NOT to have lived life.

Although the profession I was in allowed me to retire early 
and to be fairly well off financially...
it was not my passion.

I had essentially...
wasted much of my youth.

I did make my job as enjoyable as I could...
but it was not something that I could look back upon
with deep satisfaction.

As I am still young...
I can now chase my passions.

However...
a far better use of my life would have been to
have fully enjoyed every waking moment of it.

To live a life filled with a burning passion...
being fully creative and involved...
living life on the edge...
yet fully controlled...
having no worries...just dreams to yet fulfill...
while helping others in the process...
 is to have a worthy goal in life.

To have lived a life filled to satiation...
without regrets...
with memories of such vision, flavor, color and feeling...
to have lived a life in the service of others...
becoming immortal in essence
(in others' minds)...
to have lived a life of courage and honor...
is to have died well.

Only by having lived your life well...
is the ultimate goal of life met...
having a good death.



2 comments:

  1. Very wise words indeed. I think part of the fulfillment of your own life is coming from knowing that you are teaching your son how to live his so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is the best thing I have done in my life. To see him happy, brings me so much happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...